Gamestop.ca Black Friday

PS5, Xbox Series X Bundles In Stock @ 10am ET

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2021 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1917 posts
1260 upvotes
One user of a bot did over 1000 Playstation 5 checkouts.
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
5157 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
Niklasky wrote: And limit to one unit per membership. Imagine being a scalper and having to sign up for multiple Costco memberships and Amazon Prime subs in order to buy a bunch of consoles. They could even cross check the address on the memberships to ensure there aren't 15 different memberships at the same address. And if the purchase of the console is conditional to an active membership with previous recent transactions on the account, it gets even more difficult for bots and scalpers.
to be honest, im disgusted by these stores. Out of all of them, only steam had the integrity to take the extra step to fight off the scalpers and bots. And they still sold out their consoles, to regular consumers. I already have my xbox series x, but I won't be buying a ps5 until the price drops to $399 in 4 years.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1902 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Diafel wrote: One user of a bot did over 1000 Playstation 5 checkouts.
That's like $800K. Quite the investment. Better have a very high credit limit on the credit card.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1902 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blaznazn22 wrote: to be honest, im disgusted by these stores. Out of all of them, only steam had the integrity to take the extra step to fight off the scalpers and bots. And they still sold out their consoles, to regular consumers. I already have my xbox series x, but I won't be buying a ps5 until the price drops to $399 in 4 years.
I'm also disgusted. Seems like there are ways to circumvent the bots, but companies like Game Stop are just not interested. And I don't think asking people to line up all night in the cold in front of BestBuy is the way to go either. There should be a reservation system.

Like I said, this will end up hurting game sales, and ultimately console manufacturers and game publishers.
Mar 4, 2019
429 posts
312 upvotes
Montreal
Niklasky wrote: I'm also disgusted. Seems like there are ways to circumvent the bots, but companies like Game Stop are just not interested. And I don't think asking people to line up all night in the cold in front of BestBuy is the way to go either. There should be a reservation system.

Like I said, this will end up hurting game sales, and ultimately console manufacturers and game publishers.
it's already hurting the developers, because of the limited PS5 in the world, they can't sell their games to more people.
@_pibe
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1902 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bibe1547 wrote: it's already hurting the developers, because of the limited PS5 in the world, they can't sell their games to more people.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. I mean consoles are already in limited supply, but it makes it even worse that lots of them are being hoarded by scalpers and only slowly trickling down to gamers. Gamers won't buy games if they don't have the console, and scalpers don't buy games at all.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
3261 posts
3206 upvotes
Whitby
2 consoles per store probably. what a joke this is.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1911 posts
1651 upvotes
bibe1547 wrote: it's already hurting the developers, because of the limited PS5 in the world, they can't sell their games to more people.
Software sales seem strong to me. Even people who overpaid for their console still buy games, and scalpers don't just sit on them and not sell them.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2614 posts
1900 upvotes
Scarborough
I’m surprised there aren’t more downvotes for deal not available. Nothing against op, but did a single person actually get a console?
Jan 10, 2011
546 posts
312 upvotes
Ottawa
JackWhyte wrote: Me neither, and at this point I plan on waiting for a Limited Edition or slimmer/smaller chip redesign, as actual store stock is going to only get more prevalent going forward - local WMs has lots a few weeks back and I didn't bite.

I may change my mind if a PS5 game ever comes out that I *have* to play, but with TES going to XB and a lot of other franchises being dead, I don't see any on the horizon.
With all honesty, I barely play my PS5. I just download the PS Plus free games and that's about it. Only two PS5 games I bought were Cold War (exchanged cause I didn't like it) and Battlefield 2042 (about to exchange it as there are so many bugs...). In hindsight, I shouldn't have bought the console at launch since I'm mostly playing my PS4 library. It's all hype right now.

My nephew can wait to get it after Christmas. There will unfortunately be some parents that will be desperate enough to pay scalpers to get their kids a console for Christmas and this cycle will never end...
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1902 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kevcorm wrote: Software sales seem strong to me. Even people who overpaid for their console still buy games, and scalpers don't just sit on them and not sell them.
I'm sure they sell them eventually, but I doubt they sell like hotcakes at inflated prices. People aren't that desperate and there are still only few games that truly use the PS5 at its full next gen potential.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11110 posts
1720 upvotes
Edmonton
Niklasky wrote: Yeah, that's what I was saying. I mean consoles are already in limited supply, but it makes it even worse that lots of them are being hoarded by scalpers and only slowly trickling down to gamers. Gamers won't buy games if they don't have the console, and scalpers don't buy games at all.
The way to deal with scalpers is to schedule multiple meets around town offering to pay for delivery, and then ghost them.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43718 posts
7428 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote: The way to deal with scalpers is to schedule multiple meets around town offering to pay for delivery, and then ghost them.
May work once or twice, but not all the time.

What would be funny is to choose a police station as the local meetup place.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1911 posts
1651 upvotes
Niklasky wrote: I'm sure they sell them eventually, but I doubt they sell like hotcakes at inflated prices. People aren't that desperate and there are still only few games that truly use the PS5 at its full next gen potential.
I think you are projecting your personal feelings on others a bit, people really really want the ps5. Ive talked about why a bunch of times, but its not relevant. There is huge demand even if some people think its not justified. People are also paying crazy prices for some pc parts these days, but you get gouged even at most retail stores on those. We are seeing 4 year old video cards sell for more than MSRP, its nuts.
Dec 25, 2015
834 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Diafel wrote: One user of a bot did over 1000 Playstation 5 checkouts.

how do you know this?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1902 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kevcorm wrote: I think you are projecting your personal feelings on others a bit, people really really want the ps5. Ive talked about why a bunch of times, but its not relevant. There is huge demand even if some people think its not justified. People are also paying crazy prices for some pc parts these days, but you get gouged even at most retail stores on those. We are seeing 4 year old video cards sell for more than MSRP, its nuts.
I don't know if that's really true though. Look at how successful the Series S was for Black Friday. People welcome a deal and a cheaper alternative. I get that there will always be the hardcore gamers who absolutely want the latest and greatest hardware and are willing to overpay, but the majority of people aren't.

So yeah, the scalpers will sell their stock eventually, but I don't see those overpriced scalped consoles flying off their living room floors. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1911 posts
1651 upvotes
Niklasky wrote: I don't know if that's really true though. Look at how successful the Series S was for Black Friday. People welcome a deal and a cheaper alternative. I get that there will always be the hardcore gamers who absolutely want the latest and greatest hardware and are willing to overpay, but the majority of people aren't.

So yeah, the scalpers will sell their stock eventually, but I don't see those overpriced scalped consoles flying off their living room floors. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.
I think the series s did the best because it had the most stock, but I could be wrong. The series s is also a great little machine in its own right, if you get a chance use one to see what I mean.
Feb 27, 2009
153 posts
151 upvotes
ontario
Dunderhead wrote: This is me. I have an Xbox One, tried game pass twice, couldn’t find many games that I liked.

Bought a PS5 and the amount of amazing single player games has blown my mind. Yeah sure right now a lot of them are just upgraded last gen games, but Sony seems to care a lot more about single player games with big sweeping narratives, and those are the games I want to play.
Xbox has retroarch and runs all consoles upto ps2 and gamecube, ps5 cant even run old ps3 and ps2 games so i think its quite clear xbox is superior.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2007
1017 posts
1759 upvotes
Calgary
mittwaffen wrote: Xbox has retroarch and runs all consoles upto ps2 and gamecube, ps5 cant even run old ps3 and ps2 games so i think its quite clear xbox is superior.
Lol sure, if you like playing ancient games