Gamestop.ca Black Friday

PS5, Xbox Series X Bundles In Stock @ 10am ET

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2021 8:24 pm
Jul 27, 2014
820 posts
645 upvotes
Montreal, QC
jetertmac wrote: So funny enough, I traded in a console a few days ago and asked an employee at the store how often they get next-gen consoles are in stock. He told me they have been getting more supply lately, but to buy one, you need to get an extra controller, game, and an extended warranty on top too. The additional accessories and warranty were like $300 on top, and they do this on purpose to discourage resellers.
Basically the same tactic as Newegg has done with GPUs
Apr 8, 2018
142 posts
284 upvotes
I hate the look of new playstation. I will most probably skip this version unless I really need it for something.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2009
1498 posts
362 upvotes
NickVictoriaBC wrote: I hate the look of new playstation. I will most probably skip this version unless I really need it for something.
Probably the least important thing about the console.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6378 posts
4890 upvotes
M-Arkham
fearex wrote: Basically the same tactic as Newegg has done with GPUs
and newegg copied that from Canada Computers
1x Zoomer $45 for 7GB ,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
1x Fido $45 for 4Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide n 1000 int min + LG velvet 5G
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8336 posts
1989 upvotes
Toronto
These are literally impossible to get online because of bots. I wouldn't even bother trying.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6378 posts
4890 upvotes
M-Arkham
I got mine from the Airmiles, that one was in stock for hours before it got sold out since bots don't have the airmiles to hoard it.

Yes, it's a bundle that'll cost you $900-$1000 worth of airmiles, but it'es less painful then trying to get one at walmart.ca, or gamestop.ca
May 16, 2010
452 posts
294 upvotes
Vancouver
we were always Playstation. I was able to get both a ps5 and xbox series X last year. We barely play the ps5 at all. if you forget exclusives, they are basically the same, except for controller and interface. for us, it really all came down to Gamepass. We have no games on the ps5, tons of content to play on Gamepass. Forza, Battlefield, EA sports games, tons of Indie content and we haven't bought a game yet except FarCry 6.

as for buying these consoles, i can't belive a year later it's still like this. You should be able to pre order one directly from Microsoft or Sony and be guaranteed one at launch. this system is stupid and outdated.
Nov 27, 2021
9 posts
6 upvotes
Hmm, thinking if i should trade in my PS4 Pro. I only play one game on it, mainly because it has been the game account that I have the most time spent (and skins, stats, etc.).... or I'll just wait for the next PS iteration...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6378 posts
4890 upvotes
M-Arkham
xman111 wrote: we were always Playstation. I was able to get both a ps5 and xbox series X last year. We barely play the ps5 at all. if you forget exclusives, the are basically the same. for us, it really all came down to Gamepass. We have no games on the ps5, tons of content to play on Gamepass. Forza, Battlefield, EA sports games, and we haven't bought anything except FarCry 6.

as for buying these consoles, i can't belive a year later it's still like this. You should be able to pre order one directly from Microsoft or Sony and be guaranteed one at launch. this system is stupid and outdated.
It's lack of parts/chips due to covid which backlogged a lot of productions for a number of parts inside, and PS5 is made up of thousands of smaller individual parts, if you're backlog for just 1 item, your console is gonna just be sitting on a conveyor belt til you get it in. You can't just keep pumping them out saying you'll put it back in later, since the production line do not work that way.
May 16, 2010
452 posts
294 upvotes
Vancouver
Brewmeanie wrote: It's lack of parts/chips due to covid which backlogged a lot of productions for a number of parts inside, and PS5 is made up of thousands of smaller individual parts, if you're backlog for just 1 item, your console is gonna just be sitting on a conveyor belt til you get it in. You can't just keep pumping them out saying you'll put it back in later, since the production line do not work that way.
ya i guess..
Sep 24, 2014
236 posts
1143 upvotes
Brampton, ON
ymmv but some GameStop locations let you swap Ratchet for a game at same value. Since you’re paying $89.99 extra for the game in the bundle, you can basically swap it for any game. The shipping notice makes mention of it too, but it has to be unopened
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2011
5649 posts
3415 upvotes
West Vancouver
Laugh in RTX 3090
May 29, 2018
455 posts
428 upvotes
Alberta
Kap2400 wrote: Value wise Xbox is better because you get 1tb vs 825gb and it's claimed to be slightly faster and more importantly gamepass. $180 for 3 years of 100s of games including EA games and online play is unbeatable.

But general gameplay wise, everything the same but ps5 controller made a big jump whereas Xbox controller the same
Value wise that's not really true though because XSX has you spending more over time, in the form of overpriced expandable storage, and battery packs, and let's face it PlayStation has much better games, gamepass has only led to lower quality Xbox titles 9 outta 10 times, I like gamepass and all but that just makes a PC even better lol since every Xbox game is on PC afterall. Like I always say if you want everything at its best then all you need is a PC/Switch/and PS5
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6378 posts
4890 upvotes
M-Arkham
Maple_Leafs wrote: ymmv but some GameStop locations let you swap Ratchet for a game at same value. Since you’re paying $89.99 extra for the game in the bundle, you can basically swap it for any game. The shipping notice makes mention of it too, but it has to be unopened
that's very ymmv, most won't let you (been to 6 and got turned down in all 6)
Last edited by Brewmeanie on Nov 28th, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 24, 2014
236 posts
1143 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Brewmeanie wrote: that's very ymmv, most won't let you
My friend was able to in Georgetown, I was able to in Etobicoke. It was the only two locations we called to confirm as well. But for sure, it seemed like they didn’t want to do it… best to call ahead and confirm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6378 posts
4890 upvotes
M-Arkham
Subsided wrote: Value wise that's not really true though because XSX has you spending more over time, in the form of overpriced expandable storage, and battery packs, and let's face it PlayStation has much better games, gamepass has only led to lower quality Xbox titles 9 outta 10 times, I like gamepass and all but that just makes a PC even better lol since every Xbox game is on PC afterall. Like I always say if you want everything at its best then all you need is a PC/Switch/and PS5
I think Microsoft is just taking advantage of Sony's lack of AAA first party release game at this time to try and crawl back some market share.
Some people will only buy 1 console this gen, those people might not wait for the ps5 and will only buy whatever they can get their hand on first which might be an Xbox, gotta capitalize on the opportunity while PS5 lack of supply and 1st party games, they'll miss their chance and fall behind.

Btw, one game worth looking into is Kena: Bridge of Spirits, surprisingly good and it's beautiful on PS5.
Sep 4, 2009
510 posts
319 upvotes
Calgary
Well, if you want to spend $2000 on a PC instead of roughly $6xxish dollars; all the power to you. For those who are looking for a fair balance between price and enjoyment value I can’t see how paying about 3x more makes sense. If you get a cheap PC you get a better experience with the Xbox. You can get a lot of games and accessories for the price difference of a PC vs Xbox.

Have both PS5 and Xbox Series X. Both have great titles but honestly with game pass ultimate, you can’t beat all the day one releases offered by it and the sheer volume of titles. The series X on paper is more powerful and like others have stated has more storage. I can’t really notice the performance difference myself (maybe with right game?). I think in many ways the Xbox is definitely superior. First party titles on the PS5 are really good though; but I still play the Xbox more overall.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2345 posts
2472 upvotes
Surrey
while[1];do;done wrote: Well, if you want to spend $2000 on a PC instead of roughly $6xxish dollars; all the power to you. For those who are looking for a fair balance between price and enjoyment value I can’t see how paying about 3x more makes sense. If you get a cheap PC you get a better experience with the Xbox. You can get a lot of games and accessories for the price difference of a PC vs Xbox.

Have both PS5 and Xbox Series X. Both have great titles but honestly with game pass ultimate, you can’t beat all the day one releases offered by it and the sheer volume of titles. The series X on paper is more powerful and like others have stated has more storage. I can’t really notice the performance difference myself (maybe with right game?). I think in many ways the Xbox is definitely superior. First party titles on the PS5 are really good though; but I still play the Xbox more overall.
You have great points, but the PS5 undoubtedly has far more hype. I wonder why.

In my case, I got the PS5 because the disc PS5 is also replacing my old PS4, so 2 consoles in one I guess. Also, it’s not a reason why I chose it but the dual sense controller is really good
Last edited by henrik112 on Nov 29th, 2021 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 29, 2018
455 posts
428 upvotes
Alberta
Brewmeanie wrote: I think Microsoft is just taking advantage of Sony's lack of AAA first party release game at this time to try and crawl back some market share.
Some people will only buy 1 console this gen, those people might not wait for the ps5 and will only buy whatever they can get their hand on first which might be an Xbox, gotta capitalize on the opportunity while PS5 lack of supply and 1st party games, they'll miss their chance and fall behind.

Btw, one game worth looking into is Kena: Bridge of Spirits, surprisingly good and it's beautiful on PS5.
PlayStation has had some pretty decent ones in the form of Eternal, Dark Souls, Ratchet and Clank etc., Microsoft has released two good ones in the form of Forza and Halo but that's what they always do, release a couple games only at the end of the year and have a drought for the other 9-10 months, kinda hard for Microsoft to take advantage either way considering their stock is also scarce
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6378 posts
4890 upvotes
M-Arkham
It really comes down to what you want to play and which console/platform it'll be on.