Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 31, 2005
239 posts
38 upvotes

Gaming console advice - PS4

New to gaming

Many have recommended I get a switch for my kids but my hubby wants to play Madden.
So we are leaning towards a PS4.
Since PS5 is coming soon, I expect pricing to drop for the PS4.
My question is; am I better buying new or used? Console ?? Games?
Can I borrow games from others to see if we like them? Or is a game pass(?) a better way to test things ? Ideally dont want kids gaming every night so will be more on weekends.

I have saved my PC Optimum points for this so that's another factor. Rather not spend $ when I can get good value for points...then again will Shoppers stop selling new PS4 when the PS5 comes out?

Our TV is old and dont want to replace at this times, so 720p resolution is what were dealing with. Which "model" should we buy?

Any games are a must have for kids aged 6-10?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2299 posts
659 upvotes
New Brunswick
How about a Xbox? The Xbox One S goes on sales some times. The new Xbox Series S is going for $380 when it launches. The Xbox Series S/X will be backward compac with Xbox 1, Xbox 360 and Xbox OG. If you get the Financing plan, (25 USD =/= 33 CAD month for 2 years), which includes Xbox Game Pass ultimate with EA Play. Think of them as Netflix/ Prime TV for games with certain new game releases. That would allow your hubby to play Madden.

I would suggest to wait for Black Friday for the deals.
Mar 20, 2009
461 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
raichu1 wrote: I would suggest to wait for Black Friday for the deals.
I second this if you are not in a rush. New boxes of current generation (Xbox one S, Xbox one x, PS4) may be put on discount then as well as the used market may be flooded with choice from those upgrading.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
jsadams wrote: I second this if you are not in a rush. New boxes of current generation (Xbox one S, Xbox one x, PS4) may be put on discount then as well as the used market may be flooded with choice from those upgrading.
The used market might be a good place to start, EB Games dropped the trade in values of used consoles. If you shop right, you might be able to get a used PS4 off Kijiji for $200 or less. Buyer beware from used consoles sold privately, a lot of scammers will try to dump faulty ones on unsuspecting and ill-informed buyers.
c'mon get happy!
Feb 24, 2018
327 posts
152 upvotes
If you have a 720p TV and wanna save some money and a PS5 is coming out soon anyways then why not go with a PS3 Slim since Madden games around 2010-2013ish were very good. They seem to have bad reviews for the more recent PS4 ones tbh. PS3 resolution is 720p so it looks fairly good on that. You could probably buy a PS5 next year and by that point, the newest Madden PS5 game will also be discounted since sports games drop heavily in price after 1 year. I'm sure you could buy all of Madden 2010-2013 for super cheap on eBay/Kijiji. It seems wasteful to spend $400+ or whatever it is now on a PS4 when the price for that will soon drop too once the PS5 is out.

PS3 also has a tonne of kid-friendly games like Jak & Daxter collection, Ratchet & Clank games, Sly Cooper collection, LittleBigPlanet, dozens of racing games, etc. I think you might be able to find a slim model with a couple original working controllers for hopefully around $100 and it might come with some games too. They also tend to sell cheap PS3 games at flea markets, pawn shops, thrift stores, etc.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2005
239 posts
38 upvotes
So my husband wants to play Madden 2020 (assuming that exists).
Also he's heard PS4 is better then Xbox as for performance...
So...yeah....decisions. I think I'll wait till black Friday like people suggested and then make a purchase.
Hopefully will get a decent deal on a new console bc im one of those people who usually get lemons when buying used!

Thanks for the advice. Will stay tuned for more tips!
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1304 posts
507 upvotes
GTA
crazychick wrote: So my husband wants to play Madden 2020 (assuming that exists).
Also he's heard PS4 is better then Xbox as for performance...
So...yeah....decisions. I think I'll wait till black Friday like people suggested and then make a purchase.
Hopefully will get a decent deal on a new console bc im one of those people who usually get lemons when buying used!

Thanks for the advice. Will stay tuned for more tips!
Get an Xbox One S "Used" or an Xbox Series S "New"

Depends on your budget
One S is cheaper but you only have 3 years "approx" life left out of it "before developers stop releasing new games"
Series S is more expensive, but when you do get a new tv you will benefit instantly... but even with your old TV you will have much faster system that you will notice everyday

Now before anyone even tries to argue this.... I want to make my final point
$16.99/Month Gets your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
What that means for your family
1. They can play online
2. They get 4 free games a month to keep "Some months are good, some months are not good" but it's a good mix for all ages
3. You have access to 100+ games "think of it like netflix but for games"

Now some more goodies
Microsoft just bought a very large developer, so more quality games will be coming to game pass

Now the icing on the cake
EA Play is coming to Game Pass Ultimate
So even more games

Now the cherry top
Madden 2020 is included

Welcome to Xbox