One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3574 posts
1692 upvotes
Ontario
Aznkid2000 wrote: what is he playing?
I don't think there will be anything intensive but it's hard to convince him he doesn't need anything high-end. Mostly he plays Fortnite.

I can't really say for certain, I don't know what kind of game would require this sort of laptop.

I asked and he said "Fortnite, Minecraft, Ark, Dead By Daylight, Rocket League".

I'm not getting a sense that he'd need this laptop but, again, I have no idea. I sense that my system (Y540) would be more than sufficient.

Any recommendations on what would be good for those games with some sort of future-proofing?
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3574 posts
1692 upvotes
Ontario
He's waffling on what he wants, though it had something to do with "that's kind of expensive".

Now he's eyeing a desktop. So, the question is, is this a good deal?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... r/14760374

Or perhaps the Y540 in the deals section.

Just trying to help him get the best bang for his bucks.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Mar 26, 2008
467 posts
179 upvotes
TCWeasel wrote: He's waffling on what he wants, though it had something to do with "that's kind of expensive".

Now he's eyeing a desktop. So, the question is, is this a good deal?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... r/14760374

Or perhaps the Y540 in the deals section.

Just trying to help him get the best bang for his bucks.
remember, if you buy a desktop, you will also have to buy a decent monitor and gaming monitors can be pricey (another 200+ for a 1080p 144hz) so factor that into the price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3574 posts
1692 upvotes
Ontario
My son settled on the desktop from Best Buy. Unfortunately, Best Buy seems reluctant to sell it to me.

First, I placed an order using my credit card. That order was canceled through their automated system. I would not have found this out if I had not used the chat to try and find out why I had not received a confirmation e-mail. I had to use chat because I'm not able to get through to anyone at the store itself, it doesn't allow you to do that. I was told that if the information did not exactly match what they had in their system, they would cancel the order.

I then tried using PayPal. This time I did get a confirmation E-Mail. This was last evening. Mid-morning today I get a notification that the order had been, again, canceled. I used the 1-800 it told me to call if I believe the order was canceled in error. Eventually, I was able to talk to a person who despite saying that she'd be happy to help me, clearly did not mean it. Again, I'm told it has to match exactly. Based on what I can tell is that the only difference is a space in the postal code. Fine. Whatever. Can you help me with the order? "No, you'll have to put in another online order". "Look, you've canceled two of my orders now, one without even notifying me you did it" "The system thought the order may have been fraudulent, so it didn't notify you". *blink* "If I put in an order, what are the odds it will cancel that one?" "The information...blah, blah, blah. Anything else I can help with today?", she asked. "That seems unlikely", I reply.

The previous time I tried to order from them was a freezer that is on sale.

"Why is it trying to charge me for delivery? I want to pick it up."

"You can't pick it up. They have no stock at that store."

"When will they have stock"

"It shows it will be available next week"

"So I can't buy it until then?"

"No"

"It won't still be on sale"

"That's correct"

"Can I buy it now and pick it up then?"

"No"

I mean, I was never a big fan of their customer service with their condescension, their seeming lack of interest, and dogged determination to find a reason to not price match, but c'mon people, work with me.

They did allow me to fill out the customer service survey in which I *politely* aired my concerns. Nary a reply.

It all has me wondering if I've been too judgy about my opinion of Xplornet's customer service.

I don't like buying things from Amazon but, at least, they have good customer service most of the time.

/END RANT
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1724 posts
196 upvotes
Scarborough
Weird, did it show as in stock at your local store? For me it's showing as available for delivery, plus it's also in stock at two out of three of my closest locations. In my experience BB has always been reliable with their stock status, but then again I've never tried buying a full computer during a major graphics card shortage.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1608 posts
952 upvotes
gh05t wrote: There's also this at the same price. Asus brand and Ryzen 5800h instead.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... t5823csss4

ASUS TUF Gaming Notebook - 15.6'' FHD 144Hz AMD Ryzen 7 5800H - RTX3060, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD - Windows 10 Home, TUF506QM-ES74
Brand: ASUS
$1,599.00
Great parts, great price, poor execution.
Asus cheaped out on the cooling and went for form over performance.

You'll find last gen laptops with 2000 series gpus that perform better.

The Dell Alienware for $1800 + 15% cash back is a better deal.