• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2021 10:24 pm
[OP]
May 10, 2007
903 posts
48 upvotes
Thornhill

Gaming Laptop Recommendations under $1100

With the new Tech coming out this week, was hoping to get some recommendations for what I should be looking for in a Gaming Laptop based on the older Tech.
It is for my son who mainly minecrafts (11 yrs old) but I feel he eventually will get into more CPU/GPU intensive games in the future, so want to account for that.
Any comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6320 posts
2073 upvotes
Vancouver
Rome wrote: With the new Tech coming out this week, was hoping to get some recommendations for what I should be looking for in a Gaming Laptop based on the older Tech.
It is for my son who mainly minecrafts (11 yrs old) but I feel he eventually will get into more CPU/GPU intensive games in the future, so want to account for that.
Any comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Lenovo's 1660ti builds can be decent for 1080p gaming and 17" were around 1300s for rtx2060 a couple of months back so you should be able to get a 15" and gtx1660ti for lower than that.
Though, computers are not an investments, by the time he may be into real games, the tech won't be able to play those games. If what he has now is sufficient, wait until there's a need. It will save money and will give you a faster system.

Another alternative is PC, gaming on a tiny screen is a horrible experience and not good for his eyes either due to small screen size and worst panel technologies used in laptops. a very good gaming 24" monitor is under $250 and around $350 for 27". Can't even compare gaming on a 27" vs 13-17" monitor.
Nothing beats a PC build and you can actually upgrade it down the road.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2644 posts
160 upvotes
Burlington
On the new side or used?

Used should be fairly easy, I'm selling a ryzen 7 3750 w/ 1660ti system for sub 1k myself. New you're probably around $1299 for your "decent" gaming laptop running around a 1660ti, might see the odd killer sale giving a 20xx series card in a similar price but I'm not sure since BF/Boxing week are done with now.

I liked the ASUS TUF laptop when it came to retail level bang for your buck: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... r=PLP_Reco

Might also be able to score an open box or clearance demo for a better price point.