Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Gaming Monitor LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B 27 inch 16:9 QHD IPS 144Hz 1ms NVIDIA G-SYNC (379.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2022 11:48 pm
Oct 19, 2003
356 posts
167 upvotes
gizmokrap wrote: Might as well drop by your local BB or another store that sells monitors to physically compare the sizes. Both sizes are 1440p so with 32 inch you're losing PPI over 27 inch.

As for the monitor itself, I have the 27 inch version and I love it so far. Compared it to Dell 2721DGF and liked LG over Dell for punchier colours and in some cases sharper texts. I use it mainly for gaming and office work so I'm not worry about 100% colour correctiveness.
True will go check them out. Didn't think about the PPI argument!!. Physically the 27' is 24 inches wide and the 31.5 is 28 inches not a huge difference.
Oct 1, 2007
302 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Torn between this or the Dell S2522HG for $300.00

I kind of only wanted a 24-25 inch monitor but this one seems like it does most things better than the Dell (aside from hz).
Oct 22, 2020
299 posts
586 upvotes
I've had this for about a year. Great monitor, no ghosting. I do not care about HDR. My OLED TV is for HDR.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
Enermac wrote: What's the Thoughts on 27 vs 32 these days?

I was looking at https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... k/15445750

The bigger model is 4 inches wider. I still want to keep a dual monitor setup for productivity. Currently have a 20 and 19 that I can use as a second monitor.

Is 32 too big in terms of distance from your eyes on a 24 inch desk width?
Depends how far you sit back from your monitor and your eye sight. 1440p on a 32" screen is the same ppi as the standard 1080p on a 24" screen, which is fairly comfortable. 1440p on a 27" looks sharper, but everything looks smaller and may be harder to read depending on distance and your eyes. Honestly you need to try it to see how you like it.

In terms of side to side head movement, a single 32" screen is fine, but two 32" screens are just way too much IMHO. Tried dual 32" and they took all 5 feet of my desk end to end.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
SweetTato wrote: I was using an office monitor before upgrading to this monitor last year and was very happy with it until it stopped working (stopped receiving power, couldn't turn on) a few weeks ago all of the sudden, and it was right after the 1-year warranty ended. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a defected unit, but I will probably never buy a LG monitor again. If longevity is not your concern, it's a solid monitor for the price otherwise.
Tried using another power adapter? Any 19V adapter over 2A current from another model should work just to rule out the ac adapter.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Nov 13, 2018
906 posts
2000 upvotes
by2k123 wrote: Pretty solid monitor. Bought this for $399.99 a couple of weeks ago and it's been pretty good. I'm gonna return and rebuy since amazon won't refund the price difference for some reason.
I can only IMAGINE how much this costs amazon yearly to accept returns and resell as open box rather than just give people $20. I would think most people go through the hassle but apparently I am wrong since Amazon is the biggest company. #shrug
Nov 13, 2018
906 posts
2000 upvotes
Stiles23 wrote: I've had this for about a year. Great monitor, no ghosting. I do not care about HDR.
this dude is reasonable...
Stiles23 wrote: My OLED TV is for HDR.
... OH SHIT! HARD FLEX!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mikebmt wrote: I can only IMAGINE how much this costs amazon yearly to accept returns and resell as open box rather than just give people $20. I would think most people go through the hassle but apparently I am wrong since Amazon is the biggest company. #shrug
I purchased 3 LG 32” 4K screens from Amazon on Boxing Day for 459$ each

A week later, the price dropped to 419$, that is a 40$ difference per monitor. A total of 120$

It is now January 27 and I have yet to open the monitors. I have return privileges till the end of the month.

Am I going to return it and purchase it again?

… No, Amazon has a generous policy and while they are bad actors driving some people out of business, its policy should not be abused. I don’t think they sell these monitors as open boxed, they end up in landfill. I chalk this up as a win for Amazon.

… pssst, it’s okay to let a business make money
Nov 13, 2018
906 posts
2000 upvotes
Gee wrote: I purchased 3 LG 32” 4K screens from Amazon on Boxing Day for 459$ each

A week later, the price dropped to 419$, that is a 40$ difference per monitor. A total of 120$

It is now January 27 and I have yet to open the monitors. I have return privileges till the end of the month.

Am I going to return it and purchase it again?

… No, Amazon has a generous policy and while they are bad actors driving some people out of business, its policy should not be abused. I don’t think they sell these monitors as open boxed, they end up in landfill. I chalk this up as a win for Amazon.

… pssst, it’s okay to let a business make money
That's great, but a LOT of people will return them on principle and then it's a lose / lose for everyone. If the item is sold and shipped by amazon it should absolutely have a price protection equal to the return policy.

It's not like Amazon would go bankrupt with this policy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mikebmt wrote: That's great, but a LOT of people will return them on principle and then it's a lose / lose for everyone. If the item is sold and shipped by amazon it should absolutely have a price protection equal to the return policy.

It's not like Amazon would go bankrupt with this policy.
32-4k-ips-lg-32un650-w-monitor-449-99-2505026/

Shipped and sold by Amazon

For me, there is another principal. Do I really want to be part of the problem, contributing to the landfills?

I personally could care less if Amazon goes bankrupt. All I said is that Amazon has a right to make a profit.
Nov 13, 2018
906 posts
2000 upvotes
Gee wrote: 32-4k-ips-lg-32un650-w-monitor-449-99-2505026/

Shipped and sold by Amazon

For me, there is another principal. Do I really want to be part of the problem, contributing to the landfills?

I personally could care less if Amazon goes bankrupt. All I said is that Amazon has a right to make a profit.
I meant that it "should" if it's shipped and sold from them. Not that it does. I wouldn't expect them to hold their third party vendors to a price match guarantee.

I understand what you're saying regarding landfill. I would hope Amazon isn't such a huge company that they would throw away $1200 in monitors rather than resell them, but I don't actually know.

The problem is their policy that encourages people to return and repurchase to get their money back. That policy itself creates a huge amount of people returning stuff that night go to a landfill.

If you care about the landfill issue, you should be able to understand that changing their policy would absolutely result in less returns, and therefore fewer things thrown in the landfill.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mikebmt wrote: I meant that it "should" if it's shipped and sold from them. Not that it does. I wouldn't expect them to hold their third party vendors to a price match guarantee.

I understand what you're saying regarding landfill. I would hope Amazon isn't such a huge company that they would throw away $1200 in monitors rather than resell them, but I don't actually know.

The problem is their policy that encourages people to return and repurchase to get their money back. That policy itself creates a huge amount of people returning stuff that night go to a landfill.

If you care about the landfill issue, you should be able to understand that changing their policy would absolutely result in less returns, and therefore fewer things thrown in the landfill.
The reason why they can’t do price adjustments is because their accounting doesn’t allow it. Their system is fully automated. Think about the process required to make a price adjustment? The only way for them to do this, cancel the invoice and re-invoice at the new cost. Here is the problem, you cannot cancel an invoice without scanning the item back into the warehouse (even a return warehouse)

The reason why I think it ends up in landfill is the sheer volume of returns they receive. They cannot afford to hire people to examine all the returns to see if it is truly defective. Do you risk selling a product to another consumer and get a second return? Everyone one knows that 98% of all returns are buyer’s remorse. It is cheaper for them to skid the items and sell them as mystery boxes (check YouTube) or throw them out.

It is a policy they have and I as a consumer, you have to give them credit for creating a great shopping experience. But as a citizen of the planet, it’s not so great.

I have no problem with them changing their policy, but they are not Costco, there is no one there to examine the item to see if it is truly defective. Amazon has specific warehouses just for returns. They are collected, skidded and sold as is or scrapped for junk.
Mar 21, 2004
277 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
They actually don’t do that anymore at least in Canada. The have Amazon Warehouse Deals which sell returned items at a discount. The discount is based on the MSRP so if a sale item is returned sometimes the price they get on the Warehouse section is the same or better then the sale price.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15718 upvotes
Oil Country
j3390659 wrote: How does this compare to the Gigabyte M27Q?

Rtings seems to like the M27Q more.
Sorry for the late response, but the Gigabyte monitors have a lot of quality control issues. I was thinking of getting one because of the price point, but a lot of people complain about panel issues. The LG in OP's post is pretty good for the price and actually comes with an LG panel. Many other LG monitors use a third party panel.

I just ordered one as gift. There's also this post on Reddit regarding the deal. Lots of positive feedback.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... 9_qhd_ips/

*EDIT*

Ended up cancelling my order because I got a smoking hot deal for a Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 monitor. The CSR was able to bring the price down to $425.99, plus that comes with a 3-year warranty and has better specs than the LG. To extend the warranty on the LG monitor would cost another $50, which works out to around the same price anyway (actually $5 more). There's also a good chance I'll be able to get 10% cash back through Rakuten.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2014
2016 posts
2673 upvotes
MaxQc85 wrote: This is a very good monitor for gaming at 2k@144hz. Thanks OP
BillyBill wrote: I bought this monitor in May 2020. Been happy with it... no problems.
quantman wrote:
Same panel I believe, so get the cheapest one. If you have a PS5, buy the LG as it can downscale 4k to 1440p. PS5s do not have 1440p which means you need a workaround adapter or you're stuck at 1080p on the Dell.
Juyen21 wrote: I have been using this for almost a year now for both work and gaming.

No issues on my end so far.
by2k123 wrote: Pretty solid monitor. Bought this for $399.99 a couple of weeks ago and it's been pretty good. I'm gonna return and rebuy since amazon won't refund the price difference for some reason.
MonumentalRalph wrote: Got this about couple weeks ago. Response time is fantastic.
Stiles23 wrote: I've had this for about a year. Great monitor, no ghosting. I do not care about HDR. My OLED TV is for HDR.
fudge_u wrote:
Sorry for the late response, but the Gigabyte monitors have a lot of quality control issues. I was thinking of getting one because of the price point, but a lot of people complain about panel issues. The LG in OP's post is pretty good for the price and actually comes with an LG panel. Many other LG monitors use a third party panel.

I just ordered one as gift. There's also this post on Reddit regarding the deal. Lots of positive feedback.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... 9_qhd_ips/

*EDIT*

Ended up cancelling my order because I got a smoking hot deal for a Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 monitor. The CSR was able to bring the price down to $425.99, plus that comes with a 3-year warranty and has better specs than the LG. To extend the warranty on the LG monitor would cost another $50, which works out to around the same price anyway (actually $5 more). There's also a good chance I'll be able to get 10% cash back through Rakuten.
Those of you who bought the LG 27GL83A-B, could you please help me out?

I just bought one with a manufactured date of Nov. 2021, and mine came with a BOE panel instead of a LG panel that it used to come with (since late 2019 to ???).

How to check your panel type using LG service menu: Power off the monitor. Press the joystick to the left 3 times, then to the right 1 time. Power on the monitor, then click the "menu" option. The service menu will appear in the top left corner of the display.

In my service menu I see:

Model: 27GL83A-BOE (MST9800)
Version: V 3.3.2 Build: 21.09.07

Panel: MV270QHM-NF1

The BOE MV270QHM-NF1 is the same panel used in the LG 27GN800-B, which is a cheaper model.

I'm asking y'all to check because I specifically bought the 27GL83A-B because of its LG panel that it used to have. I want to know if LG has changed all 27GL83A-B models to the BOE panel or if I just got a weird one.

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15718 upvotes
Oil Country
3express wrote: Those of you who bought the LG 27GL83A-B, could you please help me out?

I just bought one with a manufactured date of Nov. 2021, and mine came with a BOE panel instead of a LG panel that it used to come with (since late 2019 to ???).

How to check your panel type using LG service menu: Power off the monitor. Press the joystick to the left 3 times, then to the right 1 time. Power on the monitor, then click the "menu" option. The service menu will appear in the top left corner of the display.

In my service menu I see:

Model: 27GL83A-BOE (MST9800)
Version: V 3.3.2 Build: 21.09.07

Panel: MV270QHM-NF1

The BOE MV270QHM-NF1 is the same panel used in the LG 27GN800-B, which is a cheaper model.

I'm asking y'all to check because I specifically bought the 27GL83A-B because of its LG panel that it used to have. I want to know if LG has changed all 27GL83A-B models to the BOE panel or if I just got a weird one.

Thanks!
That sucks... I wonder if the model was discounted for that reason?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2014
2016 posts
2673 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: That sucks... I wonder if the model was discounted for that reason?
I am not sure, but I found a few Reddit threads from people noticing the change/difference in this model as well.

Oddly enough, no one in those threads had the idea to check the panel type in the service menu.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/oa7rgb/i_bought_three_lg_27gl83ab_27_inch_monitors_on/

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/lfet17/concerned_about_the_lg_27gl83ab_being/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/lf6ynm/two_lg27gl83ab_monitors_with_different_settings/

It seems like I'm the first person on the entire internet to confirm a LG 27GL83A-B with the BOE panel.

So this is why I'm asking anyone with a LG 27GL83A-B to check the panel type in their monitor's service menu (see my previous post in this thread)! If any of you happen to read this.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5760 upvotes
How often does this monitor go on sale? I was thinking of buying it at 480ish but if it goes sub 400 often I can wait.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2014
2016 posts
2673 upvotes
Squirrel99 wrote: How often does this monitor go on sale? I was thinking of buying it at 480ish but if it goes sub 400 often I can wait.
It is often on sale for $380 now. However LG has revised this model to use a cheaper BOE panel and my main complaint about it is that it uses a very hazy anti-glare coating.

The coating is extremely noticeable and annoying on white and light backgrounds, so much so that I returned the monitor due to that. On light backgrounds the display looks blotchy and speckled.

However, the BOE panel this model now uses is very fast and provides little to no ghosting at 144 Hz.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)