• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2020 9:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2009
2374 posts
522 upvotes
Woodstock, ON

gaming rig suggestions

I've been out of the loop for a number of years. friends son looking to build a gaming machine i5 or i7 based. any suggestions or recommendations for a full parts list would be appreciated. his budget is $1000 $1800, not including a monitor.
Last edited by crashxxx on May 5th, 2020 5:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
18 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20033 posts
5424 upvotes
Good Morning
Need more info, what kind of games.....
Member
User avatar
Sep 1, 2009
315 posts
250 upvotes
gta
Please, build your own AMD machine . easy if you follow pc part picker.

I bought brand new AMD 2700x from kijiji for 250$-Windsor
asrock b450 pro atx from Canada computers for 140$-London
wd blue mvne 80$-London
16gb ddr4 3200 100-Woodstock
case + 700 w psu for 80$-Kitchener
amd radeon RX 580 8gb 130$ Canadian - Toronto
gaming keyboard Chatham 20$
speaker set 20$ - Amhurstburg
22 inch lcd screen- had one from Value village - 9.99$
100$ in gas to gather all this from various parts of Ontario

Internet- Free unlimited lifetime from Fonus - used 1tb so far in last 15 days.

satisfaction to build my own gaming desktop computer under 1000$ for s&g = priceless
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2008
812 posts
280 upvotes
crashxxx wrote: I've been out of the loop for a number of years. friends son looking to build a gaming machine. any suggestions or recommendations for a full parts list would be appreciated. his budget is $1000. plus a monitor.
intel build

potential to get under $1k with
cheaper case, powersupply, video card ..1650 super?



https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/n7xxjp

i5-9600KF
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card
Thermaltake Versa J23 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2009
2374 posts
522 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
coriolis wrote: Need more info, what kind of games.....
I know his primary right now on the xbox cod warzone. likley games of that nature. I will double check with him.
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2009
2374 posts
522 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
okay, spoke to him last night. his budget is actually $1800, not including a monitor. the gpu he's after is likely an nvidia geforce rtx 2060 super (or similar unless posters here can explain why it'd be positive to use something else). he's pretty much decided to build it around that card. he really wants to stick with an nvidia based card.

I believe that he also did mention wanting the i5-9600KF that was mentioned above by @lostintransit
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10306 posts
6675 upvotes
"Friend's son"...and you're looking into this, and not your friend? You're dating your friend?

Since he already knows what he wants for the graphics card, he should be equally capable of deciding the rest on his own. (Unless he was making the graphics card decision with no thought process / justification)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2007
1179 posts
841 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
lostintransit wrote: updated link
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NTNTRk
switched videocard and samsung 970 to 970 plus
use the pcpartpicker as a guide to prices only
I've never ordered from vuugo
my order of preferences is canadacomputers (pickup)/amazon/newegg
Is the Samsung Evo Plus worth it, I am wondering if the Western Digital SN750 would be okay for a lot less. It's only $115 right now. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX75358
Following thread cause I am looking at 2060 super and 9600k myself.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2009
2374 posts
522 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
chatbox wrote: "Friend's son"...and you're looking into this, and not your friend? You're dating your friend?

Since he already knows what he wants for the graphics card, he should be equally capable of deciding the rest on his own. (Unless he was making the graphics card decision with no thought process / justification)
if he was capable he wouldn't have asked me for my input. I haven't built anything since 2013 so, I'm not current. he hasn't put anything together since 2011, he's not stayed current.

I offered to create a post here due to the VAST amount of knowledge and members more than happy to offer solid, constructive advice :)
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
Sr. Member
Sep 13, 2011
979 posts
633 upvotes
Québec
lostintransit wrote: updated link
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NTNTRk
switched videocard and samsung 970 to 970 plus
use the pcpartpicker as a guide to prices only
I've never ordered from vuugo
my order of preferences is canadacomputers (pickup)/amazon/newegg
6 core /6 Threads is not a good cpu for gaming for the upcoming years.

Go Ryzen, for reference :
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be ... ,3986.html
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 1, 2010
1976 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
elgros4 wrote: 6 core /6 Threads is not a good cpu for gaming for the upcoming years.

Go Ryzen, for reference :
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/be ... ,3986.html
Agreed with this post. If you want INTEL that bad, i7-9700K ... or wait until the 10xxx series drop, and Nvidia is going to annouce the 3xxx lineup of cards (Ampre) that will offer more power in 10 days. Personally that's worth the wait.

Otherwise AMD Ryzen 7 3700X is the next best bet.
Newbie
Jun 16, 2012
36 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sH7BWb

This is my build... I still have to put together. I have all the components.. will probably get an aftermarket cooler because I want to overclock. I would regularly visit https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanada/ for deals. I stalked that subreddit everyday. I price matched my CPU at Mike's. Completed builds section in pcpartpicker.com is great for reference.
I would also recommend r/buildapc.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35256 posts
21234 upvotes
Center of Universe
c0mputer wrote: Please, build your own AMD machine . easy if you follow pc part picker.

I bought brand new AMD 2700x from kijiji for 250$-Windsor
asrock b450 pro atx from Canada computers for 140$-London
wd blue mvne 80$-London
16gb ddr4 3200 100-Woodstock
case + 700 w psu for 80$-Kitchener
amd radeon RX 580 8gb 130$ Canadian - Toronto
gaming keyboard Chatham 20$
speaker set 20$ - Amhurstburg
22 inch lcd screen- had one from Value village - 9.99$
100$ in gas to gather all this from various parts of Ontario

Internet- Free unlimited lifetime from Fonus - used 1tb so far in last 15 days.

satisfaction to build my own gaming desktop computer under 1000$ for s&g = priceless
Not to derail this thread... wasn't Fonus a scam?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3774 posts
997 upvotes
Not a great time to go intel right now, next gen release in less than 2 months there the new i5 will be like the old i7. +1 on Ryzen if needed immediately.

With a $1800 budget without monitor... you can do alot! I'd say at least a Ryzen 3600 and a RTX 2070 with that budget. I'll throw a build in to the mix too! https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NP4Vyk

Reason for 2070 instead of 2060? Cause its faster :) and will let you game at 1440p resolution comfortably if you want to pair it with a nice 1440p gaming monitor which will go around $500ish....
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
9162 posts
1293 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Definitely go AMD Ryzen 3700X (I'd argue for most games 3600 will do). Intel has fallen out of favor in the last 2 years except for super high end builds with cash to burn, even mid-range now heavily favors AMD except a handful of titles and certainly not worth the price premium of both CPU and mobo.
With a $1800 budget, you could also do an AMD RX 5700XT which is just under a RTX 2070 Super in terms of performance, but at about $100 cheaper (around the $500 mark).

Then if you're good with flashing BIOSes you can even get a B450 mobo to save more money.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10306 posts
6675 upvotes
crashxxx wrote: if he was capable he wouldn't have asked me for my input. I haven't built anything since 2013 so, I'm not current. he hasn't put anything together since 2011, he's not stayed current.

I offered to create a post here due to the VAST amount of knowledge and members more than happy to offer solid, constructive advice :)
Some are just lazy when it comes to research...they just want want want. i.e. There's more reason than one why input is requested.

Get a Ryzen 5 / 7 proc, speed is just his preference. Just don't get Intel this year.
Memory, 16GB will do just fine for gaming.
Storage, 970 Evo should do the trick. Might want to add a mechanical drive. His preference
Case: His preference.
PSU: 650W will do. Go modular.

At the end of the day, a PC is a rather personal thing...especially when it comes to gaming (PC - equipment to the gaming experience). RGB this, RGB that (or not), mechanical keyboard (hell, he can blow $400 on a custom keyboard if that's something he's into), fast mouse...etc.

My point: It's hugely personal. (He decided on the graphics card for a reason, he also decided on a PC and the budget for a reason - instead of console, and why the budget doesn't include a monitor...those reasons will tell a story of why and potential direction, which are missing from the OP)

You see, with $1800: If he cares, he cares. If he doesn't, then he can't really go wrong with that budget...and so, anything goes (Making this thread not really that necessary...and he could have posted it instead of you).
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2009
2374 posts
522 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
well, I'll pass on all the constructive feedback. thank you to those that contributed.
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
Member
User avatar
Sep 1, 2009
315 posts
250 upvotes
gta
vkizzle wrote: Not to derail this thread... wasn't Fonus a scam?
It hasn't been a scam for me. it was given to me free of charge and it is a free lifetime usage. I have been using it for last 13weeks non-stop. I guess, YMMV.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎

Top