Shopping Discussion

Gap Separating From Old Navy, Gift Card Changes?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2019 11:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18277 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto

Gap Separating From Old Navy, Gift Card Changes?

I'm concerned about today's news that Gap is creating a separate company from Old Navy, wondering if this means they will no longer accept the same gift card?

Be warned, especially as new gift card promos come out for Gap / Old Navy.
RedFlagDeals Addict
10 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15428 posts
4058 upvotes
Markham
Gap to create separate public company for Old Navy
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gap-cr ... -1.5038221
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15428 posts
4058 upvotes
Markham
Gift cards should be still be fine for both
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15013 posts
12126 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Short Term, I expect that the current issued GCs will work exactly as they have up until now... useable at Old Navy Stores, and any other Stores that belong to The Gap Inc Group of Retailers

Long Term.,. Ya if Old Navy is going to be standalone from what is now known as The Gap Inc (and will in the future be known as something else under this Seperation Announcement) then I fully expect that there will distinct Gift Cards, websites, etc for BOTH of these companies

Lol, the good news for those who use shopping portals (like AirMiles Shops.ca) is these 2 Companies will count as 2 Retailers whenever anyone is doing a shopping challenge
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Oct 19, 2006
148 posts
188 upvotes
The companies will be split, Gap will be downsized and possibly liquidated to prevent a large restructuring charge to the parent company to prevent weakness to the Old Navy Brand which has been paying the bills for corporate for the last few years. The other brands will be a distant memory soon.
Jun 25, 2011
336 posts
115 upvotes
Alberta
The prices for other brand are way higher than the quality of product they are selling. I think they are rightfully keeping Old Navy separate as I see more traffic to the Old Navy stores than their other expensive brands.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1017 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
I juist dont get why the quality dropped soooo badly for GAP- and their prices are high. Same with BR- especially when they increased their prices of their dress shirts and the quality and fit was bad.

I dont get what GAP inc thinks they will achieve with this-don't forget that they have alot of synergies right now in terms of online (one website to shop all all three) they share warehouses, online orders can be shared between all 3, staff at call centres etc. What exactly will they achieve by splitting them into 2 idk. They could just try harder at BR and GAP to charge alittle little less and do better on quality.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18277 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto
I love the Gap khakis lately ... not sure about much else.

Oh and we really like Gap Kids / Baby (especially since Gymboree closed) but a lot of their retail prices are nuts. Only shop on sales, otherwise they aren't touching a dollar of mine.
Last edited by DaVibe on Mar 3rd, 2019 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Dec 14, 2018
38 posts
87 upvotes
submalst wrote: I juist dont get why the quality dropped soooo badly for GAP- and their prices are high. Same with BR- especially when they increased their prices of their dress shirts and the quality and fit was bad.

I dont get what GAP inc thinks they will achieve with this-don't forget that they have alot of synergies right now in terms of online (one website to shop all all three) they share warehouses, online orders can be shared between all 3, staff at call centres etc. What exactly will they achieve by splitting them into 2 idk. They could just try harder at BR and GAP to charge alittle little less and do better on quality.
I think this move means that even internally they see Gap as a lost cause. Also to kill the marketing nightmare that is "BR/GAP comes from the same place as ON, just different tags."
BR's sales numbers are almost flat, ON is rising and GAP is dropping. They split so that ON, by itself, can get a high valuation (no more dead weight dragging it behind). Which leaves dead weight concentrated in the new company (they're carving out the dead weight into a new company, not ON, which is telling).

As for OP, you'll be fine. I'd be more worried about specific product lines you like at GAP/BR. If you like em get em soon, cuz they won't be there for long.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18277 posts
5632 upvotes
Toronto
dougrfdun wrote: I think this move means that even internally they see Gap as a lost cause. Also to kill the marketing nightmare that is "BR/GAP comes from the same place as ON, just different tags."
BR's sales numbers are almost flat, ON is rising and GAP is dropping. They split so that ON, by itself, can get a high valuation (no more dead weight dragging it behind). Which leaves dead weight concentrated in the new company (they're carving out the dead weight into a new company, not ON, which is telling).

As for OP, you'll be fine. I'd be more worried about specific product lines you like at GAP/BR. If you like em get em soon, cuz they won't be there for long.
Was already going to suggest they just put it all in 1 store. It isn't working separately.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15428 posts
4058 upvotes
Markham
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro