• Feb 24th, 2018 5:00 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
61 upvotes

Garage conversion

Anyone here converted their garage?

We have a double garage which we don't use. Has anyone converted their garage to the interior of their house or a shed?

Just curious.

J/
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7392 posts
4664 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Not us. We park in ours and use it for storage/tools, etc. I would not want to do anything permanent to take that option away from the next owners (or make it costly for them to convert back).
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12331 posts
8747 upvotes
Edmonton
Converting it to a shed is easy. Stop parking in it. Boom, there's your shed.

Converting it to living space is much tougher. Building codes for garages are much different than living space. Insulation, electrical, HVAC all will come into play. You'll need permits and inspections to do it properly. You'll need to replace that fancy big door with something. It would be cheaper than a brand new addition, but more expensive than you might think.

C
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
61 upvotes
OK Thank you both. Will re-think it.

J/
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1155 upvotes
Jakinthe wrote: OK Thank you both. Will re-think it.

J/
I had a friend's patents years ago left their two car garage door intact, and left a bit of space (maybe 5 feet deep and the width of the garage) for tools, lawnmower etc. Then they built a wall with drywall, insulation etc and turned the rest into a master bedroom with wiring, heat, fireplace etc. It was a real cool set up and bonus was that this was beside the basement and it gave lots of privacy for everyone as the teenage kids had rooms upstairs. Just an idea...the sky's the limit if you've got the funds.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1837 upvotes
Jakinthe wrote: Anyone here converted their garage?

We have a double garage which we don't use. Has anyone converted their garage to the interior of their house or a shed?

Just curious.

J/
Look at building codes first. There's a reason why there is a garage in the first place.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
61 upvotes
fusion2k2k wrote: I had a friend's patents years ago left their two car garage door intact, and left a bit of space (maybe 5 feet deep and the width of the garage) for tools, lawnmower etc. Then they built a wall with drywall, insulation etc and turned the rest into a master bedroom with wiring, heat, fireplace etc. It was a real cool set up and bonus was that this was beside the basement and it gave lots of privacy for everyone as the teenage kids had rooms upstairs. Just an idea...the sky's the limit if you've got the funds.
Yes, I think the limitation here is the funds :D