Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1547 posts
1892 upvotes
Ottawa

Garage Door

We moved into a house with a garage - we’ve never lived in a house with a garage. The garage door is old and so is the garage door opener so want to replace both of them.

It’s a standard single garage (9x7). We want to get an insulated garage door - mostly likely white in colour with no special design features (we have a traditional looking home that is 60+ yrs old).

Looking for guidance:
- is a stock door from HD/Lowe’s fine quality wise?
- is there a specific feature we should be looking for in terms of how insulated the door is?
- what’s a reasonable cost to pay for the install of both the door itself and the door opener? And does that normally include aluminum flashing on the outside trim (ours is older painted wood right now).

Bonus points for specific recommendations for companies in Ottawa.

TIA
22 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11081 posts
4333 upvotes
In general yes but you will pay extra because they out source the install - just keep that in mind

Don't waste your money on upgrading to a "better" insulated door because it will leak around the edges there by defeating the purpose of getting a well insulated door. Standard insulation is fine

Flashing is always extra and can add $$, aluminum dents.

Can't help you with Ottawa but just call 3 - 5 local installers and have them give you a quote, go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Finding a contractor is not an exact science.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Nov 10, 2019
622 posts
609 upvotes
I got a quote a few weeks ago to install opener $400. I think that's too much for my liking. Installed it myself with my dad, took us a good 6-7 hours straight 2days ago but everything ended very smooth.

Make sure you go for belt garage opener (quiet). Got my Chamberlain myQ belt opener for a good deal from Rona about a month ago. Saw some on sale at Canadian tire too the other day.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1881 posts
1044 upvotes
London
We paid our builder’s son intsall two openers for $400. It took him a couple hours. But he’s probably done hundreds of them though and does it as a cash add on in addition to being part of the family house building business.

I would just get the standard insulation. Our previous door had no insulation, it was noisy and rattled. I think the stiffness the insulation provides is worth the upgrade alone.
Oct 28, 2019
94 posts
100 upvotes
Check out the The Garage Door Depot Ottawa. Best prices I found quoted, best service experience I've had.
Dec 26, 2012
631 posts
565 upvotes
Hamilton
i think you should just get some garage door installer quotes that provide all the equipment.

I just got a 12 x 9 door purchased and installed in sandtone, nothing fancy as it's in a laneway. they replaced all the rails, the coil, and hooked it up to my existing opener for $1,550. it has a R6 or something like that, nothing serious but again i wasn't looking to keep my garage warm as it's detached from the house.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1547 posts
1892 upvotes
Ottawa
Cowboy905 wrote: i think you should just get some garage door installer quotes that provide all the equipment.

I just got a 12 x 9 door purchased and installed in sandtone, nothing fancy as it's in a laneway. they replaced all the rails, the coil, and hooked it up to my existing opener for $1,550. it has a R6 or something like that, nothing serious but again i wasn't looking to keep my garage warm as it's detached from the house.
I was just quoted $1455 installed (just door - not garage door opener) for a 9x7 steel door (R8 insulated). That doesn’t include installing a new opener (our existing one is old and needs replacing).

The company suggested getting a steel “sandwich” 3-layer door (R10) for $1699 installed.

Seems to be about in line with what you paid...maybe a bit more expensive given my door is smaller.

Can anyone chime in to let me know if that seems like a decent quote? I haven’t had any others done...and may avoid it if the consensus is that’s a fair price.
Last edited by mikek33 on Aug 24th, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 26, 2012
631 posts
565 upvotes
Hamilton
i think that's pretty fair. my original quote they gave me was for a standard size door (they messed up) and it was only like $100 or so cheaper than the larger one.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2096 posts
2290 upvotes
Toronto
Bought our door from Home Depot, lots of choices and dont forget the trim kit to seal the door to the frame to prevent any air leakage.

We paired ours with aChamberlain myQ belt opener, doing it again I would pay the extra for a direct drive unit similar to a "Chamberlain RJO20 Direct Drive Wall Mounted Space Saving Garage Door Opener, One Size". You need to ensure you have enough space beside the door itself, requirements are very modest but in my small garage I think the cost is justified.

https://www.amazon.ca/Chamberlain-RJO20 ... pen&sr=8-6

I'm waiting for my current opener to die in order to put a direct drive unit in.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1547 posts
1892 upvotes
Ottawa
So from my reading it seems that most garage doors lose their insulating properties based on other factors besides the door itself. Which begs the question...is it worth paying more for an R16 door when an R10 will likely serve the similar purpose? Seems like Polystrene is used in lower R value doors and urethane is used in R16 and higher doors. Does that even matter much?

The plan is to insulate the garage walls (that aren’t attached to the house)...mostly to be able to use some space to workout in the winter. I don’t expect the space to be toasty warm without a heater in there but as long as I can wear a hoodie and not freeze then I’m good with that.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1578 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
Recently had a new garage door put in - went with a Richard Wilcox door with all new hardware. It was a R12 8x7 door with windows and it was $1350+tax. I went with a darker color and the sales said it was a bit more expensive for a darker color - not really sure about how much less it would be for standard white since I was not interested in that color. This was in GTA though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1547 posts
1892 upvotes
Ottawa
bst wrote: Recently had a new garage door put in - went with a Richard Wilcox door with all new hardware. It was a R12 8x7 door with windows and it was $1350+tax. I went with a darker color and the sales said it was a bit more expensive for a darker color - not really sure about how much less it would be for standard white since I was not interested in that color. This was in GTA though.
That a great price based on the quotes I’ve received so far.

Hopefully I can get something similar.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4812 posts
918 upvotes
Georgetown
I would suggest getting quotes from some actual garage door installers. This is a specialized area and not really something that is in the DIY range IMHO. Thus, go to the experts and have them compete against each other for your business. The big box stores will get a pro to install it anyway (ie. you aren't saving). Of course, if you like a door you see at a big box store... that's fine too. But, you could ask the garage door installers if they can get the same door and what their direct cost is.
Mar 2, 2011
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ajax
Cowboy905 wrote: i think you should just get some garage door installer quotes that provide all the equipment.

Care to share where you’re located and what company you used? I’m in the market for a new garage door as well. One company quoted me double what you paid.
Thanks!
Dec 26, 2012
631 posts
565 upvotes
Hamilton
sanwillo wrote: Care to share where you’re located and what company you used? I’m in the market for a new garage door as well. One company quoted me double what you paid.
Thanks!
i'm in hamilton. i'll tell you exactly what i got. i just dug up the quote. i was slightly off.

12' x 7' Door. R6 rating. Sandtone colour.
LINCOLN LI3138 SHORT PANEL
$1,589 installed with taxes.

Easyflip Garage Doors.
https://easyflipgaragedoors.com/

It says they do the GTA so it's worth giving a call.
Mar 2, 2011
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ajax
Cowboy905 wrote: i'm in hamilton. i'll tell you exactly what i got. i just dug up the quote. i was slightly off.

12' x 7' Door. R6 rating. Sandtone colour.
LINCOLN LI3138 SHORT PANEL
$1,589 installed with taxes.

Easyflip Garage Doors.
https://easyflipgaragedoors.com/

It says they do the GTA so it's worth giving a call.
Thank you! Appreciate the response. I’ll be giving them a call, I live in Ajax, so hopefully fall within their service area.
Mar 2, 2011
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ajax
bst wrote: Recently had a new garage door put in - went with a Richard Wilcox door with all new hardware. It was a R12 8x7 door with windows and it was $1350+tax. I went with a darker color and the sales said it was a bit more expensive for a darker color - not really sure about how much less it would be for standard white since I was not interested in that color. This was in GTA though.
Would you be willing to share the company you went with as well? Would appreciate if I could get a couple of quotes to compare.
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1578 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
sanwillo wrote: Would you be willing to share the company you went with as well? Would appreciate if I could get a couple of quotes to compare.
Thanks!
Went with Markham Garage Doors - they are a great bunch of people. I recommend them.
Mar 2, 2011
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ajax
bst wrote: Went with Markham Garage Doors - they are a great bunch of people. I recommend them.
Thank you!