• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2016 7:27 pm
[OP]
Jul 9, 2012
77 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa

Garage door crash [pic included]

We had a little incident today.. our car hit the door and 2 out of four panels are damaged. This door is 3 months old and the damage only happened on the panel. door frame is fine. The door was installed by "The door company", we called them and they said whole door need to be replaced.. is this true?? Can we get the lower two panel install by some one else?
Also what would be the average cost of the whole door if we go a head for replacement. ( we have garage door opener installed will that increase the cost as well?)

Please suggest.

Door aftermath pictures: http://imgur.com/a/W2LWw
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3471 posts
926 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Even though the rest of it looks fine, i'm betting many joints were stressed and are slightly bent out of alignment. Even if you just replaced the bottom two panels you would probably end up with a lot more squeaking/creaking from the door especially when it gets older. I would guess that's one of the reasons door companies wouldn't want to just replace panels.

Your garage door opener hardware will be compatible with a new door. it shouldn't affect door replacement.

Unfortunately i don't know what the going cost for a door is.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18698 posts
21372 upvotes
GTA
If your garage door is a standard size, it could be $300-600 depending on sales at Home Depot or other reno shops.

Technically you should be able to replace the lower 2 sections separately, but as mentioned above, the other panels may have damage as well.

Call around to other door repair guys and see what they have to say. You can even call up the door mfgr for advice.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Dec 4, 2009
487 posts
373 upvotes
That door looks pretty unique... Likely hard to find the correct pattern, especially if it's more than a few years old.

A new door may end up costing less than something that could repair it to look like it did.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12651 posts
7309 upvotes
Brampton
You Likely could replace the 2 bottom panels, but like others have pointed out it'll just look odd(paint fade and what not). The other 2 top panels might also be bent (not visibly) that might end up squeaking more or stressing the springs and the opener.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
Are you sure the door company said they'd have to replace the whole door and not just that they'd have to repaint the whole door to get the replacement panels to match?

As long as the top 2 panels aren't damaged I'd be surprised if they couldn't be replaced. I could see why a door company wouldn't want to just replace the bottom two panels though as any damage to the track or other doors that you can't see would cause you problems down the road that you'll want to hold them accountable for.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1794 posts
329 upvotes
I would also think it's just cheaper to replace the entire door instead of paying the labour hours in repairs. Unless the garage door was a custom-made or antique hard-to-find type, there's really no savings as material costs of generic doors are pretty cheap.
[OP]
Jul 9, 2012
77 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
The garage door came with a newly build house .. We build this house in MAY 2016.. so paint fading is not an issue.. regarding the tracks/panel, I verified they dont have any damage on it.. On garage door I found a sticker which said "The door Company" installed that door for the builder so we called them and they said they can't provide the panel since the door manufacturing company (Cloplay Door) would not provide panels to them. HOWEVER when i went to cloplay website they clearly indicate that they do provide REPAIRS for SECTION/panels (http://www.clopaydoor.com/residential/b ... eplacement) through there dealers.. so I dont understand why TheDoorCompany doesnt want to provide us with this repairs. They simply want to quote us for the whole door which is not required from my point of understanding.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4921 posts
1451 upvotes
Richmond Hill
urssohail wrote: The garage door came with a newly build house .. We build this house in MAY 2016.. so paint fading is not an issue.. regarding the tracks/panel, I verified they dont have any damage on it.. On garage door I found a sticker which said "The door Company" installed that door for the builder so we called them and they said they can't provide the panel since the door manufacturing company (Cloplay Door) would not provide panels to them. HOWEVER when i went to cloplay website they clearly indicate that they do provide REPAIRS for SECTION/panels (http://www.clopaydoor.com/residential/b ... eplacement) through there dealers.. so I dont understand why TheDoorCompany doesnt want to provide us with this repairs. They simply want to quote us for the whole door which is not required from my point of understanding.
You could get additional estimates from other companies. I don't see any reason why you need to go with the original installers that the builder used.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13002 posts
9929 upvotes
Edmonton
enwhyRFD wrote:
urssohail wrote: The garage door came with a newly build house .. We build this house in MAY 2016.. so paint fading is not an issue.. regarding the tracks/panel, I verified they dont have any damage on it.. On garage door I found a sticker which said "The door Company" installed that door for the builder so we called them and they said they can't provide the panel since the door manufacturing company (Cloplay Door) would not provide panels to them. HOWEVER when i went to cloplay website they clearly indicate that they do provide REPAIRS for SECTION/panels (http://www.clopaydoor.com/residential/b ... eplacement) through there dealers.. so I dont understand why TheDoorCompany doesnt want to provide us with this repairs. They simply want to quote us for the whole door which is not required from my point of understanding.
You could get additional estimates from other companies. I don't see any reason why you need to go with the original installers that the builder used.
This. If you don't like the response from the original supplier, you have a list of Clopay resellers. Use them
C
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3144 posts
758 upvotes
Ancaster
CNeufeld wrote:
enwhyRFD wrote:
This. If you don't like the response from the original supplier, you have a list of Clopay resellers. Use them
C

Like the others have said, contact a Clopay dealer that has good reviews on Google & see what they say.

Builder's don't always choose the best suppliers/contractors, but they do always choose the cheapest.

In our old home we had a Garaga garage door. A contractor backed into it & damaged the bottom panel. Our Garaga dealer replaced only the bottom panel & the door worked fine.