Garage Door Finish

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2018 9:19 am
[OP]
Sep 10, 2017
0 posts
Toronto

Garage Door Finish

Finally got around to stripping the garage door, It was a lot more work then I anticipated,

What stain / top coat do you guys recommend, I would like something that will hold up to the elements, I can't see myself doing this every few years, I'm not sure what type of wood the door is made out of.

what do you guys think
Images
  • june 19.jpg
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2542 posts
1624 upvotes
Edmonton
I did mine a couple of years ago, used Varathane products. Wood conditioner to start, then stain and then their sealer. Mine faces north and is perfect. We used a dark walnut stain on the wood. Looks like the same as yours, cedar?
Images
  • 84985B17-8306-4B8B-8DA4-75A0C2E1063F.jpeg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1485 posts
500 upvotes
Brampton
walleye*guy wrote: I did mine a couple of years ago, used Varathane products. Wood conditioner to start, then stain and then their sealer. Mine faces north and is perfect. We used a dark walnut stain on the wood. Looks like the same as yours, cedar?
How did you strip all the paint?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2570 posts
482 upvotes
North York
We face west so lots of late sun, and it hadn't been looked at since it was installed 20+ years ago. Ended up using a sikkens cetol window and door in dark oak (on cedar) recommended by our local paint place, looks good 4? years later, no signs of the finish failing or needing a recoat yet.

Stripped the existing with an aggressive pressure washer (we had thoroughly grey/damaged spots), and then touched up with an orbital sander.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2542 posts
1624 upvotes
Edmonton
dealerguy wrote: How did you strip all the paint?
Gel stripper, power washer and sanded. It was a Behr product we were removing, a real PITA.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2036 upvotes
Toronto
cliff wrote: We face west so lots of late sun, and it hadn't been looked at since it was installed 20+ years ago. Ended up using a sikkens cetol window and door in dark oak (on cedar) recommended by our local paint place, looks good 4? years later, no signs of the finish failing or needing a recoat yet.

Stripped the existing with an aggressive pressure washer (we had thoroughly grey/damaged spots), and then touched up with an orbital sander.
Sikkens is known for quality finishes and their cetol line looks equal to the task.

Plus it's readily available at hardware stores in Canada.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)