Home & Garden

Garage door opener broke - advice needed

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 7:25 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Feb 12, 2008
192 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto

Garage door opener broke - advice needed

Hi,

As my kid tried to pull down on my garage door when it was going up, the door opener started malfunctioning. On inspection I realized that the tooth-wheel that turns the chain is broken. The door opener is an old Craftsman machine.

1. Should I replace the door opener or get it fixed?
2. If replace, what is a decent brand that offers value for money?
3. Would I need a mechanic to install a new door opener? I am reasonably handy around the house.

Any other things I should be aware of?


Thanks
---------------------------------
Almost all problems in our lives can be traced back to a lack of knowledge.
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7426 posts
2381 upvotes
0 downvotes
hey, did u know, they can simply fix the broken part? usually the tooth wheel is made out of some kind of plastic but they make replacement parts (hard to find unless you are a repair man) that can easily be fixed. if your garage door opener is pretty sturdy and solid why replace it? simply get it fixed and call it a day
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19666 posts
23035 upvotes
GTA
If you like the opener then fix it if you can. Otherwise a new one is $200-300. Either way you can do it yourself pretty easily.
While you're at it, make sure your door is properly balanced with the springs.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
18916 posts
6117 upvotes
London
The gear might be available locally on kijiji as well, about $10-$15 (search garage door opener gear)

Btw, replacement opener in hot deals forum is $70
Last edited by l69norm on Jun 7th, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12991 posts
7772 upvotes
Brampton
You might want to also adjust the force to open it if it's not stopping. Usually when openers detect a jam it should stop. Should be 2 adjustment screws one for open and one for closing force. The force to open should be minimal if the springs are working right.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2005
3732 posts
912 upvotes
Hamilton
This is what happened to my aunts opener from Canadian tire (belt though, not chain) got the replacement part from a Canadian store on ebay. $30 later was back in business (with a better all metal pulley instead of the plastic wrapped oem piece)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
4324 posts
3472 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Don't even entertain the idea of replacing the gear. Trust me, it's not worth the the pain you will inflict on yourself.
Go buy a new basic Chamberlain opener. The change over is very simple. All the wiring will remain the same, but you will need to install new sensors and a replace the control box with the new one.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7306 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: If you like the opener then fix it if you can. Otherwise a new one is $200-300. Either way you can do it yourself pretty easily.
While you're at it, make sure your door is properly balanced with the springs.
I’d rather stab myself in the face than save $100 it costs to have an opener installed.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19666 posts
23035 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: I’d rather stab myself in the face than save $100 it costs to have an opener installed.
huh? Replacing an existing opener is super easy.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7306 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: huh? Replacing an existing opener is super easy.
Some things are just not worth the small amount of money it takes a pro. An opener install should check for balance in the door as well.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19666 posts
23035 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: Some things are just not worth the small amount of money it takes a pro. An opener install should check for balance in the door as well.
I do a lot of DIY because it's just easier and quicker than finding someone, taking time of work to be there with them, and in the end you don't know if they're going to do a good job or not.
Last week I took down my noisy GDO and put it back up with some noise isolating rubber mounting pads. Highly recommended for anyone with a room above. It drastically quieted down my belt drive GDO.
I'm kinda surprised you wouldn't do it, I thought you were a handy guy.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7306 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: I do a lot of DIY because it's just easier and quicker than finding someone, taking time of work to be there with them, and in the end you don't know if they're going to do a good job or not.
Last week I took down my noisy GDO and put it back up with some noise isolating rubber mounting pads. Highly recommended for anyone with a room above. It drastically quieted down my belt drive GDO.
I'm kinda surprised you wouldn't do it, I thought you were a handy guy.
I guess a straight swap isn’t as bad as a new install. I’ve never had to swap. Only new installs and for the little they charge I had other things to focus on. Plus both times it was with a new to me house, so I had way way more things.

Also, who lives in a house for 6 years without an opener? Both our place and our neighbours were like that when we bought. I don’t get it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 23, 2004
2261 posts
795 upvotes
Montreal
Jerico wrote: I guess a straight swap isn’t as bad as a new install. I’ve never had to swap. Only new installs and for the little they charge I had other things to focus on. Plus both times it was with a new to me house, so I had way way more things.

Also, who lives in a house for 6 years without an opener? Both our place and our neighbours were like that when we bought. I don’t get it.
What's the big deal? If you don't park your car in the garage and only open it every few days, an opener isn't a necessity.
A well balanced door is really easy to open by hand.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7306 upvotes
Paris
AMD wrote: What's the big deal? If you don't park your car in the garage and only open it every few days, an opener isn't a necessity.
A well balanced door is really easy to open by hand.
They did though! Both of them! So weird. Plus our door was so out of balance the guy that came and installed the opener adjusted it for us as part of the deal.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19666 posts
23035 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: I guess a straight swap isn’t as bad as a new install. I’ve never had to swap. Only new installs and for the little they charge I had other things to focus on. Plus both times it was with a new to me house, so I had way way more things.

Also, who lives in a house for 6 years without an opener? Both our place and our neighbours were like that when we bought. I don’t get it.
Yea, for a new install I probably wouldn't bother either, especially if it included replacing the door itself. I've never had a door without an opener though.

I do have neighbours across the street without one though. Every time I see them pull open their door I'm like, wtf? I'm tempted to buy a new one for myself and install my old one for them. I wonder if they had an opener that died and they never replaced it. They also have a one piece door.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19666 posts
23035 upvotes
GTA
AMD wrote: What's the big deal? If you don't park your car in the garage and only open it every few days, an opener isn't a necessity.
A well balanced door is really easy to open by hand.
Also, without an opener you'd need to have a keylock on your garage door to secure it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12127 posts
7306 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: Yea, for a new install I probably wouldn't bother either, especially if it included replacing the door itself. I've never had a door without an opener though.
Brother Father and I replaced a garage door at the cottage out of necessity as no contractor would come and do it. Went from a 7’ tall to an 8’ tall to get a boat in. Re-framed etc etc etc and the new door had a rear torsion bar and low overhead kit and the instructions were so brutal it took us over a day. After the framing etc was done. The cost from a box store, if they had someone, was $200 to put it in.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Feb 12, 2008
192 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks folks.
Gee wrote: It’s easy to find the spare parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Chamberl ... 2427557311
Looks like the Gear and Sprocket assembly needs to be replaced (part # 41A2827).

The problem is the model number is not stated on my opener. The box only says SEARS Craftsman 1/2 HP. The manual I have in the house has two model numbers (139.18616SR -1/2 HP and 139.18415SR - 1/2 HP)

Now there are similar parts available on Amazon and Ebay but not exactly specifiying these numbers. They cost around $50. However, I am not sure those parts will fit in my opener. For example the following listing doesn't have my openr's number.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Gear-Sprock ... 0677.m4598

What should I do?
---------------------------------
Almost all problems in our lives can be traced back to a lack of knowledge.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2005
3732 posts
912 upvotes
Hamilton
Are you SURE there isn't any other info? Did you get a ladder and look on top? I side the light cover? There usually is always a model number /serial number somewhere.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)