• May 21st, 2018 9:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1401 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto

Garage door opener install and door maintenance

Can anyone provide recommendation for company/person that can install garage door opener and perform basic maintenance or repair on the door as it is hard to pull. Looking for some inexpensive options as quote I got now was around $175 to install door opener only.
15 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36197 posts
10343 upvotes
Ottawa
When they install the opener, the will adjust the door.
I strongly recommend you get a reputable company (Garaga or other) that will guarantee the opener and the work. You really get what you pay for.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16266 posts
17747 upvotes
Oakville
That seems like a reasonable price. It's hardly worth showing up for much less. FYI, it's a doable job if you're up for doing DIY.
Aug 4, 2006
616 posts
272 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
If you know the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver ... you could probably do this yourself. If you are just replacing an existing GDO ... then definitely you can do this. I would say the most difficult parts is finding an power outlet for the GDO and securing the GDO to the ceiling via the mounting brackets. If this is a newly built house, then probably these 2 parts are already done for you. Good luck.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1401 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately there is no openers currently installed so process will be a bit more difficult. I can try the install on my own but I have some other renovations that I need to work on befor I move in so was hoping to someone to install it and do the maintenance work on door at a good price.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4038 posts
1431 upvotes
I would recommend Jesse at gtadoors, he installed my garage door opener then my door a year later. Very good communication, I had issues with the door a month and a half later and he came by and fixed it, no questions asked.
May 3, 2006
242 posts
42 upvotes
Highly recommend Ron...had mine done a few weeks ago...great guy and amazing job.
Aug 4, 2006
616 posts
272 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
Oops ... I missed the part about it being hard to open by hand. That may indicate an issue with the main springs or alignment of the tracks. It could also be something to do with the rollers. If you are not a very handy person then definitely don't touch the springs or cables ... there is enough force on those things that they could hurt you badly or even kill you. Do a visual inspections on the tracks and rollers and something might reveal itself to you. The guy who may come to install the GDO may not have the skill to adjust a GDO. Good luck.
Dec 28, 2011
333 posts
110 upvotes
TORONTO
Ron from the Garage Door Opener Installer thread. He is the best.
Dec 10, 2009
47 posts
3 upvotes
Ron is highly recommended as obvious in the 25 pages of posts on the other thread.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9536 posts
3154 upvotes
pibrahim wrote: Ron is highly recommended as obvious in the 25 pages of posts on the other thread.
can you post that thread please?
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12434 posts
3632 upvotes
GTA
Gee wrote:

Why are people bumping an old thread.
Better than starting another one ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nov 3, 2018
6 posts
I suggest looking elsewhere now than jesse/gtadoor, they cancelled twice on me in one week.
This means i am waiting since 2 weeks and now have to find another and get another appointment in time.
I had done one 3 yrs back and at that time i think they were good.