• Oct 6th, 2020 5:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3402 posts
544 upvotes
Hamilton

Garage Door Opener Install w/ Minimal Clearance

I've been asked by a family member to try to install a garage door opener on single garage door with minimal clearnace. The door has a double track, the top most rail for the first (top) section of the door. Some pictures included of what im dealing with.

It looks like these products are perfect for what I need to do, just wondering if anyone has found a Canadian dealer for them or something similar?

https://www.supersneaky.com/

Have any of you tackled something like this? The opener to be installed is a chain driven Chamberlain LW260C
Images
  • 20200921_152919.jpg
  • 20200921_152946.jpg
  • 20200921_153332.jpg
  • 20200921_153343.jpg
18 replies
Jul 2, 2013
635 posts
172 upvotes
Aurora
You need to check the headroom clearance of the top of the door just as it's rolling up into the radius track. The top of the door goes up higher for this initial turn. Look into quick turn hinges.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15152 posts
16142 upvotes
Oakville
Drthorne wrote: I think you will have to go with a wall mount GDO because of head space

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cham ... 0598p.html
+1 for wall mount direct drive GDO if you have room on the side. Otherwise, it look like you could cut a slot down the drywall and use a standard opener. From the pics, there's room above, unless the joists are perpendicular and the drywall is spaced down from them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3402 posts
544 upvotes
Hamilton
lehmanr wrote: You need to check the headroom clearance of the top of the door just as it's rolling up into the radius track. The top of the door goes up higher for this initial turn. Look into quick turn hinges so all of the door can run in lower track instead of the first section in the upper track.
It does, thats why I'm trying to find someone local who sells the super sneaky or similar hardware to get a few extra inches.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1159 posts
416 upvotes
Is that a new build? That clearance is nuts, no room for ANYTHING other than the car in the garage!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3402 posts
544 upvotes
Hamilton
exrcoupe wrote: Is that a new build? That clearance is nuts, no room for ANYTHING other than the car in the garage!
Oh god no. My in-laws bought it from a DIY handy man. Every wall you open is a surprise, I've been "hired" to try and figure this mess out.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1159 posts
416 upvotes
adblink182 wrote: Oh god no. My in-laws bought it from a DIY handy man. Every wall you open is a surprise, I've been "hired" to try and figure this mess out.
I don't get why the walls are built up so close to the garage door with no clearance? The picture with the cable spool is insane where the ceiling was cut out to give it room to spin. I don't get it at all?!?!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15692 posts
4739 upvotes
London
exrcoupe wrote: I don't get why the walls are built up so close to the garage door with no clearance? The picture with the cable spool is insane where the ceiling was cut out to give it room to spin. I don't get it at all?!?!
It's probably that an old style garage door was replaced with a more modern one. They had to jerry rig the newer door to fit

Last edited by l69norm on Oct 6th, 2020 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 1, 2017
385 posts
249 upvotes
Mississauga
With those holes in the drywall, you increase the chances of carbon monoxide entering into the home......assuming you have rooms over the garage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3402 posts
544 upvotes
Hamilton
there is a room above the garage, but the garage is so small that a vehicle would never be parked in there. I never knew a garage was drywalled due to potential carbon monoxide, good to know.

I didn't want to get into drywalling as well but I can kind of stick my hand in that hole and there is still some room above the drywall if I needed it (say for a wall mounted/jack shaft opener).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9182 posts
4707 upvotes
Paris
Its very odd that the low overhead kit didnt include a rear torsion spring. Thats what we had to do at our cottage with less than 4” to work with on an 8 foot door.

I don’t get this super sneaky thing. Is it just a bracket to avoid using the double rail for a standard low overhead kit?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2959 posts
1946 upvotes
Toronto
I'd start by pulling down the drywall in the ceiling and see what you're actually dealing with for overhead space. You might be able to gain a bunch of height in the garage.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2959 posts
1946 upvotes
Toronto
...and chances are those side mounted openers won't fit either. They need some headroom too, and room at the side. The one side looks tight to the wall - hard to tell what the other side has for room.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15152 posts
16142 upvotes
Oakville
torontotim wrote: I'd start by pulling down the drywall in the ceiling and see what you're actually dealing with for overhead space. You might be able to gain a bunch of height in the garage.
+1, stick your phone up there and take some photos with the flash on.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)