Garage door opener wall control: Adding a 2nd one

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2020 5:13 pm
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
223 posts
56 upvotes

Garage door opener wall control: Adding a 2nd one

I have a Chamberlain MyQ opener which uses the Security+ 2.0 technology.

The opener came with with one control unit which is located at one end of the garage. I wanted to use my old remote at the other end of the garage but it is apparently not compatible with the new tech.
Does anyone know if it is possible to add a secondary wall control unit (wired preferably), if so, which model of wall control unit?

Thanks,
9 replies
Jul 12, 2014
7 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor, ON
LiftMaster 885LM Smart Multi-function Wireless Wall Control Garage Security+ 2.0

Wireless, used it for my man door to operate my Liftmaster 8500W
Sep 4, 2006
618 posts
224 upvotes
Ottawa
I've never done it, but I have installed a bunch of openers. I would imagine simply wiring in another momentary contact in parallel would work fine. All the switch does is complete the circuit. My three wall switches are door bell buttons.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3591 posts
2699 upvotes
Ottawa
Here's an old thread on the same subject, apparently it's not as simple as using a door bell switch or a momentary switch wired in parallel with the existing control.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/multiple ... er-934923/

I haven't found a clear answer on this after a web search but I think it's easy to test it out with a simple switch and see if it can be done.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15031 posts
4300 upvotes
London
With older chamberlain openers, you can use a simple door bell type switch that's hard wired across the keyboard terminals. Press once to open, press again to close.

It's easy enough to test with a piece of wire
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
223 posts
56 upvotes
Thanks everyone.

2 options basically: 1) Velcro a wireless remote on the wall at one end or 2) Get a compatible Security+2.0 wall controller and wire it in series with the other controller
The newer models don't work with simply wiring a doorbell switch, or my old remote. I've tried that already both in series and connected directly to the opener.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31786 posts
5863 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
steph3n wrote: 2) Get a compatible Security+2.0 wall controller and wire it in series with the other controller
The newer models don't work with simply wiring a doorbell switch, or my old remote. I've tried that already both in series and connected directly to the opener.
Security 2.0 has rolling codes. Two wall controllers in series will not work.

If you use two controllers, they will both try to generate a security code. It is easier to use a dumb door bell switch, but it is messy. If you get a door bell and wire it directly to the contact button on the original wall controller, it will work. This basically extends the original wall controller button to the door bell which you can place at the other end of the garage. When you press the door bell, it will push the button on the original wall controller and it generates the code. This has to be wired to the button and not the screw terminals.

I am assuming you have a garage door opener with a yellow learn button. If you can't see the button, look at the antenna wire, it should also be yellow. Check the model of your old remote, it probably doesn't support the yellow learn button (Security 2.0).

A more elegant solution is to take apart a spare remote, remove the battery and solder two wires to the physical button on the remote. Then wire a transformer to the battery terminals and plug that into a receptacle in the garage. This will save you from constantly replacing batteries. Depending on your remote, it will be 3.3 Volts or 6.5 Volts. Just buy a transformer that allows you to select 3.3 or 6.5 volts. Here is a cheap one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Adaptor-Universal ... 218&sr=8-6

Put everything in a small project box and run some bell wire to the door bell switch near the entrance of your garage door.

Personally, I would automate the garage door and control it through my phone. You can do this easily using an ESP8266 and a spare remote. I would skip the MyQ

If your goal is to just have an easy way to close the door, you can enable the TTC (Time To Close) feature on the opener and set it for 1 minute. This will close the door automatically after one minute.
Feb 4, 2012
278 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa
I have late-model Craftsman openers on our doors. For one of them I put Craftsman wall-mounted controllers at each of the garage. They are hardwired. They work great, love having this setup and we use both controllers on that door equally, such as when taking the dog for a walk -- open the garage door when leaving the house and then hit the other button as we step out of the garage.