• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 2:28 pm
[OP]
Oct 7, 2012
32 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Garage door with padestrian door ??

Anyone knows any company / contractors who make these kind of doors ? I got a quote from a company for $5k
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4596 posts
4020 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like it would just be easier to open the entire garage door when you need to enter/exit through it. Why bother with a 'man door' (as they are typically referred to)?

I could see it if you were using it on a daily basis, but if you were, then cut a hole in your wall and install a normal door. Better value for money doing that.

That being said, I do like the look of this. If I had a backyard workshop or something I could see having this door facing into the garden, so I could have as wide an opening as possible when the door was up, and have a simple in and out when the door was down. It looks neat.

Jan 19, 2017
789 posts
869 upvotes
Kitchener
torontotim wrote: Seems like it would just be easier to open the entire garage door when you need to enter/exit through it. Why bother with a 'man door' (as they are typically referred to)?

I could see it if you were using it on a daily basis, but if you were, then cut a hole in your wall and install a normal door. Better value for money doing that.

That being said, I do like the look of this. If I had a backyard workshop or something I could see having this door facing into the garden, so I could have as wide an opening as possible when the door was up, and have a simple in and out when the door was down. It looks neat.

While I agree, looks pretty cool. A lot of neat products available, but I'm near certain the price tag on the door would be a big turn off for a lot of people.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4596 posts
4020 upvotes
Toronto
rtookey wrote: While I agree, looks pretty cool. A lot of neat products available, but I'm near certain the price tag on the door would be a big turn off for a lot of people.
I hope they have some sort of safety switch to prevent the door from being raised when the man-door is open, or the price tag would get a lot bigger.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2273 posts
1331 upvotes
GTA
Those are so cool, didn't know they existed. Price tag might be prohibitive to make it worthwhile though.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3519 posts
1711 upvotes
Mississauga
Learnt something new today on RFD!.. thx
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11957 posts
7123 upvotes
Paris
rtookey wrote: While I agree, looks pretty cool. A lot of neat products available, but I'm near certain the price tag on the door would be a big turn off for a lot of people.
With insulated tempered glass I think you are looking at $10k+ just for that door. It is very cool though