• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 9:06 am
[OP]
Nov 27, 2020
36 posts
11 upvotes

Garage Door Remote Openers

Hello everyone,

I recently got a new garage door which was hooked up to my existing garage door opener. I paid for 2 universal remotes and a keypad. They worked at the time if installation but no longer do. The company came out to service (after several unsuccessful attempts of me contacting them… that’s a whole other story), and now I am being told the new remote technology isn’t compatible with my older opener as the signal is weak.

Is there any truth to this? I don’t buy it. I think they hosed me and are just brushing me off. Frankly, if they would have told me this from the beginning, I wouldn’t have purchased the remotes and keypad from them.

Bottom line is I need to get my garage open. So do I need a new opener or do I get older technology remotes. I am lost here. TIA
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19469 posts
22603 upvotes
GTA
Are they refunding and taking back the remotes?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2117 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
You need to get a refund for the universal remotes if they do not work as advertised, or it's just wasted money. I assume by universal they are not same manufacturer as your garage door opener?

Then the next question is get a remote that works properly, from original manufacturer. They can be expensive however, that's where they get you.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Dec 18, 2008
983 posts
94 upvotes
Make sure the antenna wire on the garage door opener is extended.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2020
36 posts
11 upvotes
engineered wrote: Are they refunding and taking back the remotes?
Nope. I am pretty pissed about it. They said the ‘technician didn’t look to see if they were compatible because it was not in their work order.’ I was expected to ask for this to be done. That is what their job is! I am not a garage door expert. How am I supposed to know.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2020
36 posts
11 upvotes
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: You need to get a refund for the universal remotes if they do not work as advertised, or it's just wasted money. I assume by universal they are not same manufacturer as your garage door opener?

Then the next question is get a remote that works properly, from original manufacturer. They can be expensive however, that's where they get you.
The remotes may end up being less expensive that a new unit so it’s worth a try. Thx.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2020
36 posts
11 upvotes
hobbes778 wrote: Make sure the antenna wire on the garage door opener is extended.
I’ll check this out. Thx.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2117 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
New units are nasty expensive, i wanted a new numbered keypad for the front but after looking at prices put that idea on hold. My current one works well in summer, come winter it is sporadic to useless and i just use the press button remotes to open/close in those cold months. Think i'll google intermittent perhaps there is a solution, cause buying a new one isn't!
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1702 posts
1174 upvotes
Barrie ON
Roxxxy wrote:
I recently got a new garage door which was hooked up to my existing garage door opener. I paid for 2 universal remotes and a keypad. They worked at the time if installation but no longer do. The company came out to service (after several unsuccessful attempts of me contacting them… that’s a whole other story), and now I am being told the new remote technology isn’t compatible with my older opener as the signal is weak.
If the remote worked initially, then it is compatible, and something has changed. If it doesn't work when you are adjacent to the motor unit, then you can eliminate "weak signal" as being the cause.

Did you change the bulbs to CFLS's or LED's. If so remove the bulbs temporarily and see if it solves the problem.

When you press the button on the remote, you should see a light flash on the motor unit which will confirm that it is receiving the signal. If the same light is flickering randomly then you are receiving interference or the receiver (within the motor unit) is beginning to break down.

How old is your GDO. If this is a rolling code type of GDO, have you tried to relearn the remotes. If it's not a rolling code variety then it is quiet old, A universal remote should still work with it, but they may have been set to an incorrect mode by the installer. Once again try to reprogram them.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2020
36 posts
11 upvotes
Rick007 wrote: If the remote worked initially, then it is compatible, and something has changed. If it doesn't work when you are adjacent to the motor unit, then you can eliminate "weak signal" as being the cause.

Did you change the bulbs to CFLS's or LED's. If so remove the bulbs temporarily and see if it solves the problem.

When you press the button on the remote, you should see a light flash on the motor unit which will confirm that it is receiving the signal. If the same light is flickering randomly then you are receiving interference or the receiver (within the motor unit) is beginning to break down.

How old is your GDO. If this is a rolling code type of GDO, have you tried to relearn the remotes. If it's not a rolling code variety then it is quiet old, A universal remote should still work with it, but they may have been set to an incorrect mode by the installer. Once again try to reprogram them.
Thx so much for the insight.