Garage Door Torsion Spring

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2019 7:37 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
363 posts
208 upvotes

Garage Door Torsion Spring

Hey guys, does anyone know where I can buy a Torsion Spring for my garage door? I replaced my solid wood door with a light weight aluminum door and the existing spring is too strong. I have the tools to do it myself as I installed the door myself and was able to unwind the current spring without issue.
19 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10082 posts
5336 upvotes
Paris
Wouldn't you just wind the existing spring less?
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
363 posts
208 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Wouldn't you just wind the existing spring less?
I thought that at first, however winding it less won’t work because the spring has to turn a certain amount depending on the height of the door.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16219 posts
17670 upvotes
Oakville
Jerico wrote: Wouldn't you just wind the existing spring less?
Yea, that doesn't work as it still will wind the same distance. When it's up, the spring is nearly unloaded.

OP. what size door? Do you have 1 spring or 2? If you have 2, you might be able to just remove one. Otherwise, when I replaced my springs, I had a hard time finding a shop that would sell to the public. They have a closed off mafia telling you you'll die if you touch a spring. In reality, with some basic precautions it's no more dangerous than working on your car.

I had to buy my springs outside of the GTA, near my dad's house. You might want to try kijiji, or try more shops. Or maybe pose as a handyman or something.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
363 posts
208 upvotes
engineered wrote: Yea, that doesn't work as it still will wind the same distance. When it's up, the spring is nearly unloaded.

OP. what size door? Do you have 1 spring or 2? If you have 2, you might be able to just remove one. Otherwise, when I replaced my springs, I had a hard time finding a shop that would sell to the public. They have a closed off mafia telling you you'll die if you touch a spring. In reality, with some basic precautions it's no more dangerous than working on your car.

I had to buy my springs outside of the GTA, near my dad's house. You might want to try kijiji, or try more shops. Or maybe pose as a handyman or something.
It’s a single car garage so 7ft x 8ft with a single spring. I agree with it not being complicated to change, just pay attention to what you are doing and you’ll be fine. However I don’t know any stores that sell this stuff.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1384 posts
456 upvotes
Oakville
Not sure if this is an option for you but you can buy them at Home Depot in the US.

However, how are you going to figure out which spring you need as there is a wide range of specs.

A big of a kluge but how about adding some weight (distributed properly) to your new door?
Nov 23, 2011
666 posts
686 upvotes
West GTA
If there is one thing I'm scared of.. its garage door springs.
Nov 23, 2011
666 posts
686 upvotes
West GTA
engineered wrote: Why?
Have you ever seen/heard of the damage it can do to you if there is ever a mishap while working on them? There is an extreme amount of torsion held in them. I guess it could be an irrational fear, but I wouldn't work on one myself.
Nov 30, 2015
406 posts
201 upvotes
GTA, ON
vrscdx wrote: Hey guys, does anyone know where I can buy a Torsion Spring for my garage door? I replaced my solid wood door with a light weight aluminum door and the existing spring is too strong. I have the tools to do it myself as I installed the door myself and was able to unwind the current spring without issue.
I have done a few orders with Homegarage.ca for spring, cables, brackets. Items shipped only. No pickups. I also ordered a spring from Amazon.ca one time.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
363 posts
208 upvotes
I was thinking of buying it online, but don’t know what spec spring I would require
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16219 posts
17670 upvotes
Oakville
mickman wrote: Have you ever seen/heard of the damage it can do to you if there is ever a mishap while working on them? There is an extreme amount of torsion held in them. I guess it could be an irrational fear, but I wouldn't work on one myself.
Anything can be dangerous if you aren't careful. Climbing a ladder, BBQing, working on your car, driving your car, crossing the road, cooking on the stove, etc.
Yes, it can be dangerous, and feels dangerous because you aren't familiar with it, but injuries often happen with experienced journeyman lulled into a sense of security because it's so familiar to them.

This site has good directions and safety precautions.
https://diygaragedoor.com/diy-instructi ... prings.php
https://diygaragedoor.com/springs/stand ... prings.php
vrscdx wrote: I was thinking of buying it online, but don’t know what spec spring I would require
What you do is weigh your door with a bathroom scale, then buy the appropriate spring.

Directions on how to measure your door.
https://diygaragedoor.com/diy-instructi ... e-door.php
https://diygaragedoor.com/diy-instructi ... prings.php
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16219 posts
17670 upvotes
Oakville
vrscdx wrote: I was thinking of buying it online, but don’t know what spec spring I would require
Punch in your measurements here https://diygaragedoor.com/springs/stand ... =&windows=

Looks like you can get a spring for about $40 USD. They do ship to Canada, and since they're made in USA there should be no duty, only taxes.
Nov 23, 2011
666 posts
686 upvotes
West GTA
engineered wrote: Anything can be dangerous if you aren't careful. Climbing a ladder, BBQing, working on your car, driving your car, crossing the road, cooking on the stove, etc.
Yes, it can be dangerous, and feels dangerous because you aren't familiar with it, but injuries often happen with experienced journeyman lulled into a sense of security because it's so familiar to them.
I'll climb 1000 ladders before I play with a garage spring, lol. I get what you're saying, though.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16219 posts
17670 upvotes
Oakville
mickman wrote: I'll climb 1000 ladders before I play with a garage spring, lol. I get what you're saying, though.
LOL, I'm honestly way more scared climbing the extension ladder onto my roof than when I changed my garage springs. I don't know anyone that's been injured with a garage spring, but I do know a few that had bad injuries falling off ladders.
Both are dangerous and require appropriate precautions.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4329 posts
3774 upvotes
Toronto
I've definitely seen one or two types at Lowes in their garage hardware section. Can't find it online on their website, though.

Home Depot online sells many varieties, but they are free ship-to-store and not in-store: LINK
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16219 posts
17670 upvotes
Oakville
jm1 wrote: I've definitely seen one or two types at Lowes in their garage hardware section. Can't find it online on their website, though.

Home Depot online sells many varieties, but they are free ship-to-store and not in-store: LINK
I've only seen extension springs at big box stores, including your link.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16308 posts
5065 upvotes
London
Can’t the new door manufacturer give you some specs on what they recommend?
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
363 posts
208 upvotes
Okay after looking at all the various spring options I might call a pro to change the spring to the correct type. Anyone have any recommendations for someone to supply and install the new spring in Vaughan, Ontario?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4329 posts
3774 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: I've only seen extension springs at big box stores, including your link.
Yeah, you're probably right. I think I only saw springs inside boxes at Lowes and didn't look closely at whether they were torsion or extension.