• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 8:32 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
197 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough

Garage entry door framing

I need a Garage entry from inside the home, so I opened up the drywall to see what I am working with before I call a contractor and permits.

There is a 2x10 beam that is perpendicular to the studs, which I am assuming is structural. Would anyone know what this is for? For reference, I have a 2 story house, the family room is above the garage but in between the main and second floor. Right above where we want to place the garage entry door is the stair case and pathway to the family room.

My neighbour, who has the same house style has a garage entry in the same place, so I know it is doable. If anybody has a contractor who has done this with permits, please let me know. I am in the Durham region.

EDIT: Added more pictures
Images
  • IMG_20200801_112953.jpg
  • InkedIMG_20200730_143407_01_LI.jpg
  • IMG_20200801_153958.jpg
  • IMG_20200801_154003.jpg
  • IMG_20200801_153527.jpg
  • IMG_20200801_153711.jpg
Last edited by stephan001 on Aug 3rd, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
63 replies
[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
197 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
Yes I figured out that's a floor rim joist.

My neighbor has a door there and we have the same house design. I asked him if that was already there when he bought the house and he said yes, so not sure how they did it.

Is there no way to cut the rim joist to allow for a door?
Feb 26, 2016
934 posts
211 upvotes
Vaughan
since you have the wall open and plan on using a contractor, you might as well call a couple of contractors for a free quote. They'll probably be able to tell you if it's load bearing and if it's possible to put a door there.

it sucks that the builder didn't create the garage door access. Often times, the floor plan would have the garage door access except it would read something along the lines of "if grading permits". Curious if yours didn't have a door because of grading.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5276 posts
2568 upvotes
Mississauga
I have my doubts a door is possible in that spot, at least not without spending some serious money. Too many structural components to address.

What about sacrificing the closet by the front door?
[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
197 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
Depends on cost, I may be willing to eat up the cost. A double garage but no indoor entry is ridiculous.

Can't sacrifice the closet unfortunately. Plus it wouldn't work because the family room would prevent a door anyways.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
197 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
Yea I took a look at the floor plan over and over again, but nothing. Disappointed in finding this rim joist.

Looking for contractors this weekend.
Feb 26, 2019
194 posts
151 upvotes
Ottawa
Any idea how the elevation of the garage floor compares with the elevation of that landing? If they are close, it might not be so complicated to re-route the wall loads around that opening and remove the portion of rim joist. If your elevations are very different and you need 2 or 3 steps, then it could be significantly more complicated.

Not sure if you were planning to get permits or not. If you go permit-less, I would still shell out $500 bucks for an engineer’s sketch.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8508 posts
4277 upvotes
Paris
dottawat wrote: Any idea how the elevation of the garage floor compares with the elevation of that landing? If they are close, it might not be so complicated to re-route the wall loads around that opening and remove the portion of rim joist. If your elevations are very different and you need 2 or 3 steps, then it could be significantly more complicated.

Not sure if you were planning to get permits or not. If you go permit-less, I would still shell out $500 bucks for an engineer’s sketch.
I would not hire a contractor who would do this without a permit.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5276 posts
2568 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote: I would not hire a contractor who would do this without a permit.
This. No way in hell I’d be having this job done without a permit. There are some major structural changes that need to be done.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
197 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
Thought all we'd have to do is frame a door.. Looks like this one is going to be pricey..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5276 posts
2568 upvotes
Mississauga
Sorry OP to be the bearers of not necessarily bad news but certainly things to be aware of.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8508 posts
4277 upvotes
Paris
This looks like a knee wall designed to go from the floor of your house to the top of your garage. I’m not even sure it’s possible to have a door based on the way they built this. Or if it is, it will be a very short door.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
197 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
Shouldn't be the stair landing, its the Rim joist for the main floor. The landing there the garage entry door is suppose to be is on a lower level than the main floor. There is a rim joist that goes through the exterior door to the right (to the right/back of the person in the picture), but obviously it was cut to put in the basement entrance door.

Again, unless my neighbour has a dangerous house, there should be a way to do it. I am going to contact a few contractors come Tuesday. If someone can get a structural engineer to draw up a plan, get permits and do it for a reasonable price, I will get it done.

If not, going to be rough in the winter taking out the garbage.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

Zamboni, Leafs Fan