• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 10:13 pm
[OP]
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1184 upvotes

Garage make over on a budget .

I have single car garage . With just put together shelves and racks . I store my motorcycle there along with winter tires and hockey gear . Are there garage cabinets/shelves that don't break the bank ? How hard is the floor to paint ?
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
15 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10680 posts
5983 upvotes
Paris
pfbmgd wrote: I have single car garage . With just put together shelves and racks . I store my motorcycle there along with winter tires and hockey gear . Are there garage cabinets/shelves that don't break the bank ? How hard is the floor to paint ?
I used porch paint to seal it up when we moved in. You need an acid etcher first, then 1-2 coats. Was under $80 for a 2 car in 2007, still looks great. I use my garage as a wood shop sometimes and it makes getting dust off the floor easier.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19326 upvotes
Oakville
pfbmgd wrote: I have single car garage . With just put together shelves and racks . I store my motorcycle there along with winter tires and hockey gear . Are there garage cabinets/shelves that don't break the bank ? How hard is the floor to paint ?
Ikea wooden selves are pretty cheap. Of course, you can put up your own with 2x4 and plywood pretty easily if you have tools.
Otherwise use some Rubbermaid Twin Track system https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rubber ... 1000154060
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14458 posts
9245 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote: Ikea wooden selves are pretty cheap. Of course, you can put up your own with 2x4 and plywood pretty easily if you have tools.
Otherwise use some Rubbermaid Twin Track system https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rubber ... 1000154060
I've posted garage shelving video before. This was a great way to do it...assumes your floor is somewhat level.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6900 posts
3871 upvotes
Mississauga
I wish I had that much depth along the side of my garage.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14458 posts
9245 upvotes
Markham
mrweather wrote: I wish I had that much depth along the side of my garage.
Ditto. I don't have that much either. Back of the garage is where shelving may be installed. Depends on the size of your car.

Unfortunately, there's no code re. space on the side of garage interior so you can open your car doors. Builders maximize the inside house space instead.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19326 upvotes
Oakville
gr8dlr wrote: Ditto. I don't have that much either. Back of the garage is where shelving may be installed. Depends on the size of your car.

Unfortunately, there's no code re. space on the side of garage interior so you can open your car doors. Builders maximize the inside house space instead.
Yea, same here, so I've only put shelves on the side up higher, to keep clearance for doors.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1041 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
I put a large bench across the back of my garage and store 2 sets of tires (8 tires) underneath the bench. Makes easy access to tires, and huge bench with attached vice and miter saw at the ready.

For the walls I took the cheap mans way, two horizontal boards (2x6 or 2x8 inch) running the length of the garage one about 4 ft high and the other 7 ft high with wall hooks faceted every 8-10 inches to hang all my larger items like rakes, golf clubs, hammers...etc.

Other side of garage are misc wall mount storage bins in a kit bought from Princess Auto to hold nails, screws, bolts, smaller items.

Would have loved to put in slatwall but it can be expensive when you take into account the accessories (hooks). So while it is versatile, too cost prohibitive for me at this time.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1002 posts
397 upvotes
toronto
as well put wooden shelves higher so i can open doors for cars as i put my tires on the shelves
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1172 posts
1333 upvotes
I built shelving out of 2x4s. I have an older home and they did a concrete parge all over the garage so I used a stucco masonry paint and painted everything an off white silver. Then I laid horse stall mats and cut them to fit. Garage looks immensely better.
<signature length too long>
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2003
1596 posts
104 upvotes
Can you build 2x4 shelves down from the ceiling? I lined my entire garage ceiling with 2x4 shelving, including the part right above where the garage door rolls up. Also picked up the Costco steel shelves on wheels and put it against the wall because I have enough length to fit the car and that rack. Tires all go on the bottom racks (easy on and off, and stops the car if need be).

Lots of videos of garage ceiling shelves. If you don't want to use 2x4 and do it yourself, there are kits at costco that go on sale at times.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6900 posts
3871 upvotes
Mississauga
NRFDRFDR wrote: Can you build 2x4 shelves down from the ceiling?
It's possible but be careful of how much weight you put up there. Modern garage ceilings (without living space above) are framed using pre-fab trusses not old-school rafters. Trusses are designed to hold the weight of the roof (sheathing, shingles) but not a whole lot more.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1246 posts
722 upvotes
Ripley
Check out your local Habitat for Humanity store. Our's seem to get lots of garage organizers. Some used, some new/damaged.
[OP]
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1184 upvotes
zeddy wrote: Check out your local Habitat for Humanity store. Our's seem to get lots of garage organizers. Some used, some new/damaged.
Thanks for the tip .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Oct 22, 2002
147 posts
12 upvotes
GTA
mrweather wrote: It's possible but be careful of how much weight you put up there. Modern garage ceilings (without living space above) are framed using pre-fab trusses not old-school rafters. Trusses are designed to hold the weight of the roof (sheathing, shingles) but not a whole lot more.
Even with living space above, the garage ceiling is probably not fastened directly to the bottom of the joists. A minimal amount of 2x4 or 2x3 studs are fastened together below the level of any insulation, ductwork etc to allow a flat ceiling and is probably just strong enough to hold the drywall up.