Tags:
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto

Garage with Pedistrian door

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a new double car garage door with a pedestrian door (also called: man door). I enquired about this from few places on the internet and the quote I got was unbelievable - cheapest is at $6K starting for a 16x7 door.
There's nothing wrong with my existing garage door.

Does anyone know if I can get some professional help to build the pedestrian door in my existing garage door and how much will that cost me?
Also - if anyone has any pointers for a better price than $6K for a new garage door (with a man door in it).

Any pointers will be helpful.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17160 posts
19068 upvotes
Oakville
Why can't you just put a regular door in the side of the garage?
Or why not just open up the whole door? You can put a keypad or key switch to open it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Why can't you just put a regular door in the side of the garage?
Or why not just open up the whole door? You can put a keypad or key switch to open it.
Door on the side of the garage sounds like a good idea - though it will reduce the size of the garage door and might not be a good idea for resale of the house.
I am currently using it by opening the whole door - the issue is that it makes a lot of noise and the room above the garage - the floor vibrates a lot.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6075 posts
4365 upvotes
krishnasty wrote: Door on the side of the garage sounds like a good idea - though it will reduce the size of the garage door and might not be a good idea for resale of the house.
I am currently using it by opening the whole door - the issue is that it makes a lot of noise and the room above the garage - the floor vibrates a lot.
I understand you issue about noise, I am in the exact same situation. ought of the idea of a pedestrian door in the garage door, ended up with the other member's solution. we live with the noie, save $$$ and keypad is usefull when I do not have my keys by hand.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17160 posts
19068 upvotes
Oakville
krishnasty wrote: Door on the side of the garage sounds like a good idea - though it will reduce the size of the garage door and might not be a good idea for resale of the house.
I meant on the side wall of the garage.

You can do a lot to make the door opener more quiet.
Change the door rollers to nylon.
Isolate the opener from the ceiling and use a quiet model of you aren't already. I think the direct drive more be the best here since no attachment to the ceiling.
You can isolate your current opener by hanging by thick rubber mats or even Bungie cords.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: I understand you issue about noise, I am in the exact same situation. ought of the idea of a pedestrian door in the garage door, ended up with the other member's solution. we live with the noie, save $$$ and keypad is usefull when I do not have my keys by hand.
That's true. And I have lived with the noise / vibration for over 2 years now. And you are right - not going on the route of pedestrian door saves a lot of money. But I was exploring the option to see if I can spend the $$ and get the noise and vibration reduced- while enhancing the value of the house by putting the new fancy garage doors - why not.
My friend recently got the new 2 car garage door installed for $2k and just the look of the house from the front increased so much. I thought putting a pedistrian door in the existing garage door will be another $1K max. but I was surprised to see the price jump to $6K by adding that door.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: I meant on the side wall of the garage.

You can do a lot to make the door opener more quiet.
Change the door rollers to nylon.
Isolate the opener from the ceiling and use a quiet model of you aren't already. I think the direct drive more be the best here since no attachment to the ceiling.
You can isolate your current opener by hanging by thick rubber mats or even Bungie cords.
oh, you meant side wall. So I enquired about that as well. with a permit from the city, the contractor is charging me $3K-$3.5K for that. Without permit- the contractor is charging me $2k-$2.5K (cash) - and I really don't want to make any shady architectural changes. My thought process was that if I can get a new garage door with pedestrian door within the $3K budget - that would kill two birds with 1 stone.

I didnt think about reducing the noise/vibration on the garage door. let me research about it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12636 posts
9242 upvotes
Edmonton
Cutting a hole in your existing garage door will likely compromise it's structural integrity. The constant flexing as it moves up and down after that is not going to be your friend.

On the other hand, it's your door. If you want to take a saw to it and hack a hole, knock yourself out. But I doubt many professionals will care to do it. Might get a Kijiji hack, though. If you do it, try to maintain some kind of structure along the bottom of the door. And maybe look at using strong latches at the top and bottom of the man-door, so it can be a more structural element, rather than just a pivot in the center, as a normal doorknob setup would create.

C
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6075 posts
4365 upvotes
krishnasty wrote: That's true. And I have lived with the noise / vibration for over 2 years now. And you are right - not going on the route of pedestrian door saves a lot of money. But I was exploring the option to see if I can spend the $$ and get the noise and vibration reduced- while enhancing the value of the house by putting the new fancy garage doors - why not.
My friend recently got the new 2 car garage door installed for $2k and just the look of the house from the front increased so much. I thought putting a pedistrian door in the existing garage door will be another $1K max. but I was surprised to see the price jump to $6K by adding that door.
$6K for a garage door, this will not rise the house's value for $6K that's sure. Install a quality garage door opener, this will reduce by far the noise. For the vibration, it all depends on where the rails are attached. There is not much can be done about the vibrations.

Some reading about pedestrian door in a garage door https://www.bakerdoorcompany.com/blog/p ... trian-door
CNeufeld wrote: Cutting a hole in your existing garage door will likely compromise it's structural integrity. The constant flexing as it moves up and down after that is not going to be your friend.

On the other hand, it's your door. If you want to take a saw to it and hack a hole, knock yourself out. But I doubt many professionals will care to do it. Might get a Kijiji hack, though. If you do it, try to maintain some kind of structure along the bottom of the door. And maybe look at using strong latches at the top and bottom of the man-door, so it can be a more structural element, rather than just a pivot in the center, as a normal doorknob setup would create.

C
There is no hack there, those door are made for this. OP is not talking about cutting a door inside his existing garage door... this is what he is inquiring for

Last edited by DoorCrasher on May 19th, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14247 posts
9021 upvotes
Markham
Noise reducers:

Changing the garage opener from a chain to a belt helps.
If you have steel rollers on the tracks, changing that to good quality nylon also helps.
Maybe lube it up (watch YouTube as to where to lube - don't lube the track)
Noise dampening "plate or silencer" where the garage door opener is attached to the ceiling.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +reduction
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1261 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
what happens if the door is open and you accidentally open the garage when you come home.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2378 posts
1102 upvotes
Edmonton
porchemasi wrote: what happens if the door is open and you accidentally open the garage when you come home.
It costs you a lot of money
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12636 posts
9242 upvotes
Edmonton
porchemasi wrote: what happens if the door is open and you accidentally open the garage when you come home.
That’s where doing it right is important. Properly done, there would be safety interlocks that keeps you from doing that.

C
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17160 posts
19068 upvotes
Oakville
krishnasty wrote: oh, you meant side wall. So I enquired about that as well. with a permit from the city, the contractor is charging me $3K-$3.5K for that. Without permit- the contractor is charging me $2k-$2.5K (cash) - and I really don't want to make any shady architectural changes. My thought process was that if I can get a new garage door with pedestrian door within the $3K budget - that would kill two birds with 1 stone.

I didnt think about reducing the noise/vibration on the garage door. let me research about it.
Do you really need a permit to add a garage ped door? Cutting out one wall stud won't weaken the structure if done properly.

Still, taking steps to quiet your door can go a long way. You can make it nearly silent in the above room for just hundreds of dollars.
Hopefully there's an interlock to prevent the full door from lifting is the ped door isn't fully closed.
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
Change out the rollers and install a side mount garage door opener like lift master 8500w. Lube spring(s) and hinges as well.