• Jun 13th, 2021 1:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1008 posts
304 upvotes
GTA

Garage Renovation Including New Floor

Anyone have any good companies I can contact who are reasonably priced to remodel my garage including new flooring? We reside in the Oakville area.

Our existing garage is old and the concrete floor has pitted really badly too. I want to completely remodel it and ensure we have good storage solutions e.g. winter tire rack, garden tools to hang etc. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
12 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1129 posts
316 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I have seen two companies in my previous searches on this topic. One is based in Oakville.

https://www.tailoredliving.com/en-ca/oakville/

https://www.garageliving.com/toronto/pr ... mpaign=gmb

I spoke with the owner of Tailored Living in regards to an epoxy floor. Was a nice guy. Ended up going with Garage Kings for the floor and purchased a set of cabinets from NewAge.

NewAge will design your garage for free if you send them your dimensions including cabinets, floor, storage racks/shelves. You get a 3d model of what your space would look like. In the end, if you want hassle free and have the money, get a company to do it all for you. I am doing it the RFD way and doing it in phases.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1008 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
richuwo11 wrote: I have seen two companies in my previous searches on this topic. One is based in Oakville.

https://www.tailoredliving.com/en-ca/oakville/

https://www.garageliving.com/toronto/pr ... mpaign=gmb

I spoke with the owner of Tailored Living in regards to an epoxy floor. Was a nice guy. Ended up going with Garage Kings for the floor and purchased a set of cabinets from NewAge.

NewAge will design your garage for free if you send them your dimensions including cabinets, floor, storage racks/shelves. You get a 3d model of what your space would look like. In the end, if you want hassle free and have the money, get a company to do it all for you. I am doing it the RFD way and doing it in phases.
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards just having a company do the whole thing since I need to drywall the ceiling in my garage. Currently, the loft area in the garage is open to the beams above with these two ugly vent stacks. I'm redoing my roof next month and having them remove the vent stacks which are no longer required. I would then have the garage modeling company come and do the whole thing including flooring. I wonder if they may have to re-install the garage door openers as well - would like to switch to a quieter system while I'm at it.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3496 posts
986 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Jagstyles wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards just having a company do the whole thing since I need to drywall the ceiling in my garage. Currently, the loft area in the garage is open to the beams above with these two ugly vent stacks. I'm redoing my roof next month and having them remove the vent stacks which are no longer required. I would then have the garage modeling company come and do the whole thing including flooring. I wonder if they may have to re-install the garage door openers as well - would like to switch to a quieter system while I'm at it.
You want polyaspartic, not expoxy. If you get a flooring company to include cabinets, expect overpriced products. I have Garageliving doing my floor and slat walls next month and NewAge delivering my cabinets shortly after. Garageliving quoted me double the cost of NewAge for similair size and 18 steel gauge cabinets. NewAge has a budget friendly line called the Bold series (24 gauge) and their higher end line called the Pro series (18 gauge). The lower the gauge number, the thicker the steel is. Garageliving's entire line is 18 gauge except for their Neos Elite and Rally line, which are 16 gauge. I strongly agree with @richuwo11 that you should hire companies in the field they specialize in, you'd save thousands of dollars by doing so. NewAge for cabinets, Garageliving for flooring etc. Do your own research, compare and contrast.
Last edited by EnyCe on Jun 9th, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1008 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
EnyCe wrote: You want polyaspartic, not expoxy. If you get a flooring company to include cabinets, expect overpriced products. I have Garageliving doing my floor and slat walls next month and NewAge delivering my cabinets shortly after. Garageliving quoted me double the cost of NewAge for a similair size and 24 steel gauge cabinets. NewAge has a budget friendly line called the Bold series (18 gauge steel) and their higher end line called the Pro series. Garageliving only has the "Pro series" cabinets and are very expensive. I strongly agree with @richuwo11 that you should hire companies in the field they specialize in, you'd save thousands of dollars. NewAge for cabinets, Garageliving for flooring etc. Do your own research, compare and contrast.
This is great feedback. I heard Garage Kings also do a great job of flooring for the garage. So would you say the first step than is to have the flooring redone and from there do the wall slats followed by any cabinetry? The other issue is I have this large loft area in the garage that structurally may look okay but I think it may need to be redone. The garage is also exposed to the beams above and not insulated. I was thinking about insulating and closing off the ceiling in the garage and having them redo the loft area as well.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3496 posts
986 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Jagstyles wrote: This is great feedback. I heard Garage Kings also do a great job of flooring for the garage. So would you say the first step than is to have the flooring redone and from there do the wall slats followed by any cabinetry? The other issue is I have this large loft area in the garage that structurally may look okay but I think it may need to be redone. The garage is also exposed to the beams above and not insulated. I was thinking about insulating and closing off the ceiling in the garage and having them redo the loft area as well.
For me, since my garage is fully finished (just not painted), they're installing the flooring first then installing the slat walls two days later. This is probably because my foundation walls are also being coated and it'd be easier if it's just plain drywall (and some time for the coating to cure). Storage is also an issue for me, that's why my cabinets are being delivered after everything is done. If they were to be delievered prior, my only alternative would be to leave everything on the drive way or back yard and put a tarp over it.

You have a big advantage with your garage not being fully finished. You can install power outlets, lighting, and 240V for EV charging anywhere you'd like with minimal obstacles. If you install the drywalls afterwards, it'd be more difficult (working around and finding studs etc) and you may have conduit sticking out. If I were you, I'd get all your location prefences for lighting, power outlets etc sorted out first, then the drywalls and insulation. The EV outlet will also future proof your home and will be cheaper if you do it now than later. Even if you already have dry walls up, doing the electrical portion is still better to do it first because you'd have to take off the slat wall and cut the section to size to fit the outlet. The flooring, slat walls and cabinetry comes last.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1008 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
EnyCe wrote: You have a big advantage with your garage not being fully finished. You can install power outlets, lighting, and 240V for EV charging anywhere you'd like with minimal obstacles. If you install the drywalls afterwards, it'd be more difficult (working around and finding studs etc) and you may have conduit sticking out. If I were you, I'd get all your location prefences for lighting, power outlets etc sorted out first, then the drywalls and insulation. The EV outlet will also future proof your home and will be cheaper if you do it now than later. Even if you already have dry walls up, doing the electrical portion is still better to do it first because you'd have to take off the slat wall and cut the section to size to fit the outlet. The flooring, slat walls and cabinetry comes last.
That's a fantastic suggestion - completely forgot about even installing the 240V for EV as I did plan on buying an EV vehicle when my lease is up so that's actually perfect. Thanks for the feedback. I suppose I will need to get an electrician first. After that, do you think the garage remodeling company would do the drywalling or will I need to get someone else to come do that? I suspect it'll have to be a traditional drywall insulation contractor to come do that.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3496 posts
986 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Jagstyles wrote: That's a fantastic suggestion - completely forgot about even installing the 240V for EV as I did plan on buying an EV vehicle when my lease is up so that's actually perfect. Thanks for the feedback. I suppose I will need to get an electrician first. After that, do you think the garage remodeling company would do the drywalling or will I need to get someone else to come do that? I suspect it'll have to be a traditional drywall insulation contractor to come do that.
I suggest you find a contractor that can do both drywall and insulation. Get your home evaluated and you may be elgible for insulation and other energy saving reimbursements towards renovations on your home. update-5-000-canada-greener-homes-retro ... d-2431921/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1008 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
EnyCe wrote: I suggest you find a contractor that can do both drywall and insulation. Get your home evaluated and you may be elgible for insulation and other energy saving reimbursements towards renovations on your home. update-5-000-canada-greener-homes-retro ... d-2431921/
Would an attached garage qualify for this though? There's nothing above the garage and that's the area that needs insulation and drywall.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3496 posts
986 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Jagstyles wrote: Would an attached garage qualify for this though? There's nothing above the garage and that's the area that needs insulation and drywall.
Responses to the thread says no, but the elgibility says attic/ceiling and doesn't specify specifically where in the house.
Mar 9, 2019
170 posts
86 upvotes
Garage Living is very expensive compared to others. Cabinets are similar to New Age and much cheaper and sometimes have sales. You could also try inifinitygaragesolutions I think there called.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1008 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
urbanshack wrote: Garage Living is very expensive compared to others. Cabinets are similar to New Age and much cheaper and sometimes have sales. You could also try inifinitygaragesolutions I think there called.
What I'm really looking for is someone that will come and completely redo my garage. It has an existing loft area with beams exposed to the roof. I want the loft redone, drywall ceiling, properly electrical runs including for EV and then slat walls. I don't really need much in the way of storage cabinets but rather just shelving to put some bins, supplies etc.
Mar 9, 2019
170 posts
86 upvotes
I guess your looking more for a contractor. These garage companies don't do that kind of work only the slat wall you mentioned.