• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2020 2:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4139 posts
1692 upvotes

Garage side door replacement cost

Side door of the garage is flaking, how much do new ones go for plus removal and installation? Do the big box stores sell them?

Either that or I'll nail a strip of wood or metal along the bottom so things don't squeeze into any cracks or holes that may form....

I'm in the Toronto area

I'll post pictures next time I go outside

I guess if it's just a matter of removing the hinges and carrying the door to the garbage I could do that, and installing new hinges is not too difficult right? Maybe I could do it myself
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9964 posts
5250 upvotes
Paris
Squirrel99 wrote: Side door of the garage is flaking, how much do new ones go for plus removal and installation? Do the big box stores sell them?

Either that or I'll nail a strip of wood or metal along the bottom so things don't squeeze into any cracks or holes that may form....

I'm in the Toronto area

I'll post pictures next time I go outside

I guess if it's just a matter of removing the hinges and carrying the door to the garbage I could do that, and installing new hinges is not too difficult right? Maybe I could do it myself
New door is around $1600 installed with frame and properly trimmed out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4139 posts
1692 upvotes
Jerico wrote: New door is around $1600 installed with frame and properly trimmed out.
Oh ok, what companies make basic doors that are ok for garages?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4139 posts
1692 upvotes
engineered wrote: If it's just paint flaking, why not sand it down and repaint?
I think it's actually wood or whatever the door is made of, it's a really old door, also has hole from rodents that was patched up years ago which looks like it needs to be redone too

I'll post a picture tomorrow
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16692 posts
6938 upvotes
I'm not sure where you are located, but places like Windsor Plywood will sell you a door and mortise the hinges for you. At that point it's literally just taking the old one off and putting the new one on. You don't have to touch the frame / casing if it's fine.

$300 or less - all in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4139 posts
1692 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: I'm not sure where you are located, but places like Windsor Plywood will sell you a door and mortise the hinges for you. At that point it's literally just taking the old one off and putting the new one on. You don't have to touch the frame / casing if it's fine.

$300 or less - all in.
Thanks, that sounds like what I'd be looking for

Toronto area
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4300 posts
3727 upvotes
Toronto
If the door is a standard size, you can buy a pre-hung (i.e. door is mounted already in a frame) exterior steel door for $350 from the big box stores. You remove the entire frame of the old door, fit the new frame and door into the opening and nail it in and finish it with some trim. Or you can unscrew the new door and hinges from the new frame and screw it into the old frame, but make sure it's in good shape beforehand, and it may be tricky to get it hanging correctly (which is why they are sold pre-hung).

For example: LINK

Very basic, but it's just a garage.

You can also buy basic wooden doors, but then you'll have to prime and paint them, and they'll eventually degrade like your existing one unless they're protected from the weather.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9964 posts
5250 upvotes
Paris
Squirrel99 wrote: Oh ok, what companies make basic doors that are ok for garages?
The best one is Dorplex as they have a break in warranty. Very hard to get through their door.

You could do a box store basic door but it probably is too tall and they are built to last 2 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4139 posts
1692 upvotes
This is what the door currently looks like, I think it's 32 inches across and 80 inches tall, the frame adds a bit

I nailed another piece of wood across the bottom to reinforce the existing patch, I don't think any critters can get in but you never know, the wood at the bottom is feeling pretty weak

Edit - I think I'm going to get the frame and door replaced, the dealer I used for most of my windows last year was pretty good which makes it easier to go with them for this.....saves a lot of time having to vet more companies lol

Just need the covid restrictions to lessen :|