• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2021 7:58 pm
[OP]
Mar 16, 2019
36 posts
17 upvotes

Garage Sunken Corner Help

Hi,
I noticed a few days ago a corner of my garage has sunken down. It must have happened over the past 3 months because it was not there in December. Any ideas what the cause would be and what I should be doing or who I should contact?

House was built in 2010

Thanks in advance
Images
  • 9107938A-F8B1-4FEF-8E95-BEC5B42F72AE.jpeg
  • 46846523-517F-4964-AF2D-B87F6C340ADE.jpeg
14 replies
Mar 10, 2004
740 posts
262 upvotes
Any cracks on the wall? I d be more concerned about wall cracks than floor cracks. If no wall cracks i wouldn t be too concerned. You might want to look outside for potential water damage.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2019
36 posts
17 upvotes
tempperm wrote: Any cracks on the wall? I d be more concerned about wall cracks than floor cracks. If no wall cracks i wouldn t be too concerned. You might want to look outside for potential water damage.
Thanks for the response. There is no crack on the wall.
I did find outside of the garage the area also sunken down.
Images
  • 01AF2306-555D-41F9-AB96-79CCBFF64800.jpeg
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3913 posts
929 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Do you have a rain downspout that exits to the ground nearby? If so that could be the possible issue.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21118 posts
8010 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Username check out Winking Face

I wonder of the ground settled. You might consider having an appropriate engineer check things out, though that would have a cost involved.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Mar 16, 2019
36 posts
17 upvotes
fergy wrote: Do you have a rain downspout that exits to the ground nearby? If so that could be the possible issue.
Thanks Fergy
There is downspout on the other side of the wall. I have the water flowing away from the house.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2019
36 posts
17 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Username check out Winking Face

I wonder of the ground settled. You might consider having an appropriate engineer check things out, though that would have a cost involved.
Thanks Quentin5, I’ve reached out to some foundation repair companies just waiting to hear back
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21118 posts
8010 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Bottomlesspit wrote: Thanks Quentin5, I’ve reached out to some foundation repair companies just waiting to hear back
Thats a good idea but bear in mind they won't be actual engineers.
In my experience proper training and credentials makes a big difference when dealing with big unknowns.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1544 posts
464 upvotes
Oakville
Are you sure it was the foundation that sank vs the garage floor has heaved upwards?

Foundations are usually set deep below frost line, and shouldn't heave up or down. On the hand, the garage floor is normally just poured over top of a gravel base and can heave up and down in the winter. The garage floor is not normally tied into the foundation, and is poured separately after the foundations are poured.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2019
36 posts
17 upvotes
cba123 wrote: Are you sure it was the foundation that sank vs the garage floor has heaved upwards?

Foundations are usually set deep below frost line, and shouldn't heave up or down. On the hand, the garage floor is normally just poured over top of a gravel base and can heave up and down in the winter. The garage floor is not normally tied into the foundation, and is poured separately after the foundations are poured.
Hi CBA123,
you could be right, I'm not sure. Its just that one corner that is affected from what I can tell.
Mar 10, 2004
740 posts
262 upvotes
Bottomlesspit wrote: Hi CBA123,
you could be right, I'm not sure. Its just that one corner that is affected from what I can tell.
Outdoor pic shows wall sunk a little which is consistent with inside pic. I d probably just take measurements and make sure gaps aren t growing or wall cracks. Definitely have the downspout moved further away from wall and make sure slope down and away from walls.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10365 posts
5570 upvotes
Paris
Friends of ours had a hole so deep in the centre of their garage lady of the house could stand in it and her head was level with the proper floor height. Was a hell of a mess to fix.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2167 posts
360 upvotes
That sounds like a sinkhole.

OP, perhaps look into a company that does mud jacking. What they'll do it is drill a series of hole and pump mud underneath to raise the garage floor back to level. Once they're done, they clean out the hole and fill it with cement.
Oct 4, 2010
666 posts
302 upvotes
Surrey
Foundation company may install push piers under the affected spots of the foundation to raise it back up . Think of it like a permeant car jack