Garage ventilation

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 8:19 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2018
1480 posts
1584 upvotes
GTA
WikkiWikki wrote: Im probably wrong then, or maybe thats changed over time and new builds have two doors for attached garages and code has changed.
My 1985 built house has ZERO pedestrian doors, lol. Only the garage door.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
clutch31 wrote: My 1985 built house has ZERO pedestrian doors, lol. Only the garage door.
Some kind of weird theft prevention measure? No one can break into your home using the doors if there aren't any?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2018
1480 posts
1584 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote: Some kind of weird theft prevention measure? No one can break into your home using the doors if there aren't any?
I have no idea why but it is annoying. I somehow overlooked at this when I bought the house.

I thought about making a door to the house but it will have to connect to our family room which I don't want... Unfortunately there is not enough overlap betwen the garage and the foyer... The other solution is to make a door to the front porch but not sure if it's worth doing.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
clutch31 wrote: I have no idea why but it is annoying. I somehow overlooked at this when I bought the house.

I thought about making a door to the house but it will have to connect to our family room which I don't want... Unfortunately there is not enough overlap betwen the garage and the foyer... The other solution is to make a door to the front porch but not sure if it's worth doing.
I don't know your location but i would be surprised if the building code doesn't require it.

You could always play into the theme, paint some fake doors on the house and set up a camera, someone tries to break into your home someday you get plenty of LOLs.

And YouTube views Smiling Face With Open Mouth
May 30, 2016
71 posts
20 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Makes sense. However if you punch some holes in the walls sound will go through them very easily. Fans in the holes will not help much. Brick is good at dulling sound, Metal is not. Plastic is in between. Ditto for foam.
Right, thanks for reminding me.
Quentin5 wrote: ...If the stud bays between the garage and house are empty then you can fill them with blown in cellulose for low cost. This will keep heat out of the house...
They are insulated with Pink fiberglass.

Quentin5 wrote: Edit: Perhaps the best advice is to rotate your entire house, so the garage is pointing north. Hence no direct sun will fall on the uninsulated garage door Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Very cost ineffective Winking Face
Ah, I wish it could be that easy :) Oh well, I will leave the door halfway open in the evening for now.

I used my thermal imaging cam this afternoon and was surprised by how much heat radiates through the door. Even if I am skeptical, it does not cost much to cover a few sections of the door with insulation and see with my thermal cam if it helps. I am going to try that.
20210825T150316.jpg
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Superbobby wrote: They are insulated with Pink fiberglass.
That should be doing its job.
Upgrading it can be done but the price adds up fast.
Ah, I wish it could be that easy :) Oh well, I will leave the door halfway open in the evening for now.
Remortgage the house, disconnect all utilities, hire a crew to lift the house, hope the footprint is the same pattern, rotate the house, place it back on the foundation, rerun all utilities and stairs and revel at how crazy an idea it was Face With Tears Of Joy

Moving houses is actually a thing but of course its silly to consider here.
I used my thermal imaging cam this afternoon and was surprised by how much heat radiates through the door. Even if I am skeptical, it does not cost much to cover a few sections of the door with insulation and see with my thermal cam if it helps. I am going to try that.

20210825T150316.jpg
I love those cameras. Some rigid foam from a big box store is cheap, 2 inch R10 is easily available, You can cut it to fit and use a good glue or some canned spray foam that is designed for tackiness (i think they sell a special one that is used as a glue for pavers/bricks).

Just make sure you are leaving gaps for movement, you will get far less than 100% coverage but you don't need to slowly trash your door for an extra inch of foam coverage.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Yesterday, I unloaded 50-80 lbs of metal from my trunk. Vehicle with hot engine in the garage with both garage door opened but the pedestrian door closed.
I turned on the fan. Put on the welding jacket / boots / jeans and proceed cutting / welding for +1 hr.
I sweated a little but it is doable.

I don't see why you can't just open the garage door and turn on a fan.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Superbobby wrote: I am skeptical too. Not counting that I would have to remove the insulation in winter. I like to keep my cars in the garage and want to slow down the process of rust by keeping a low temp ;) Another reason why I want to ventilate it.

I wish I could just do that :) but I forgot to mention that I occasionally spend some time detailing or doing some maintenance on my cars. The neighbor is often with his family in his garage or in front of his house. Our houses are 4 FT apart so I am in need of privacy and don't want to disrupt their peace when using power tools.

They are but there is some limitation as you probably know. Since there is no ventilation, heat is probably finding its way to the second floor and through the walls.

Homedepot could not give me any advice on this. The reason why I am here. I am afraid of ending up with some useless holes in the wall and an angry wife ;) I will keep looking for some solutions. Thanks for your reply!
How low of temps?. Ive been putting cars in heated garage for over 20 years. I have no rust on any cars, past or present. Temps are usually between 2-5 degrees.

So if it warms up outside or a nice sunny day and your garage just warms up, you wont park in there?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
WikkiWikki wrote: How low of temps?. Ive been putting cars in heated garage for over 20 years. I have no rust on any cars, past or present. Temps are usually between 2-5 degrees.

So if it warms up outside or a nice sunny day and your garage just warms up, you wont park in there?
Yea, my insulated garage temp is usually around 7C when it's sub-zero outside. Floor above is noticeably warmer than before, and I don't think 5-10C difference is going to make any substantial difference in rusting. Very high can temps have a big effect on corrosion though. Being in the garage may slow it down a bit, but your car's going to get warmer during the day in the sun when you're parked at work.

If you really want to prevent rust, get it treated with FluidFilm or CorrosionFree.

https://prezi.com/n8f1ymikvmy9/the-effe ... formation/
Image Image

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... lText=true
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1819 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto
Yesterday, I came across this youtube video about insulating just the garage door can help with the heat.

Then I came across this post. Hope this can help you without cutting holes.

Like many said, cutting holes potentially make your above the garage door room super cold in the winter, which can lead to the rest of the house super hot as the furnace is blasting to compensate the colder room (that is if you have a temp sensor in that room).
May 30, 2016
71 posts
20 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: How low of temps?. Ive been putting cars in heated garage for over 20 years. I have no rust on any cars, past or present. Temps are usually between 2-5 degrees.

Same range as you mentioned...2-5 degrees. I have an old Civic that started to rust around the rear fenders while I was parking outside. It was under control as I was doing yearly touch up. I started to park inside the garage last year and the rust areas have doubled in size. You won't get rust because you park inside the garage but the existing rust will get worst.

I always park my cars in the garage, it became a thing :)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
I am confused. Are you trying to ventilate your garage to reduce rust? Or for comfort level while you work in your garage once a month??
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Superbobby wrote: Same range as you mentioned...2-5 degrees. I have an old Civic that started to rust around the rear fenders while I was parking outside. It was under control as I was doing yearly touch up. I started to park inside the garage last year and the rust areas have doubled in size. You won't get rust because you park inside the garage but the existing rust will get worst.

I always park my cars in the garage, it became a thing :)
Thats what garages are for mostly, to park your vehciles.

While others do use them for home gyms or work areas. I see so many just packed with stuff, its only used for storage, while their cars are left in the elements

But to each their own
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
[image]https://www.princessauto.com/ccstore/v1 ... &width=600[/image)

I have one of these fans in my finished garage along with a portable AC and it drops the temp in my garage by about 4 or 5 degrees.

I don’t really have a good place to cut a hole in my garage walls (but I could do a garage door exhaust) where I can exhaust the portable AC, so I crack one of my garage doors open which limits its potential. If you’re willing to cut a hole in your wall, then I’d say just get a portable AC in your garage.

I’m considering a mini-split, but my wife is…not a big fan of me continuing to spend more money on my garage.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)