• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2019 1:12 am
[OP]
Oct 15, 2006
440 posts
85 upvotes
North Vancouver

Garburator or garbage disposal deals?

Maybe I’m searching the wrong term but these don’t seem to go on sale. Looking for a higher end one as ours kicked the bucket. Any suggestions for a deal or just go to Home Depot/amazon and buy one at regular price?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6389 posts
2037 upvotes
BC
Seldom if ever on sale because they are not broadly popular. Green people think they are environmentally unfriendly.

They are illegal in some areas of N. America. Personally I like them for grinding up residue of lemons - for a nice kitchen fragrance.

In some ways they are more environmentally friendly than having big trucks picking up putrid bins of kitchen scraps at the curb.

Over the years, I don't think I have ever bought one at retail. Did find one once new in a box at a charity thrift store for something like $10.

Another one I found advertised by someone who was doing a remodel and wasn't able to use a newish-looking powerful 3/4 or 1HP unit.

Sears used to be the place where most people bought them, nice s/s chamber, with a Kenmore label.

Have you checked Canadian Tire? Surely they have theirs on for half-price sometimes? Or look for an "open-box" one at a good price.

Agree that getting a top-of-the -line model makes sense for performance, quietness, no rusting of blades, etc., but who wants to pay $400?

On nomenclature, it's a garburator in Canada, but marketing-wise the American term garbage disposal seems to carry over.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4551 posts
2819 upvotes
Gotham
They aren't really popular in Canada. I have them in multiple residences because I don't like to compost. I've purchased all of them in the US because it is difficult to find the model I want or they are super over-priced in Canada.

The cheap ones (Badger) are terrible and noisy. The good ones are the evolution models from insinkerator. It is super efficient and quiet to operate. It can grind animal bones and coconuts. The only thing it can't handle is the silk from corn. I've been using the evolution models for 20 years without issue. I wouldn't buy any other model.

https://www.insinkerator.ca/household-f ... -disposers

The US site, https://insinkerator.emerson.com/en-us/ ... -disposals

Ps. I usually buy mine from Home Depot US. If you're brave, try eBay. There's no need for proof of purchase for warranty as they go by manufacture date if a receipt is not available.