• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2022 4:46 pm
Tags:
Apr 20, 2011
898 posts
112 upvotes
Scarborough

Garden Hose

Any recommendation for a garden hose? Need something that will expand and retract easily off a hose cart.
59 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya, DO NOT BUY one of those Expandable hoses (Xhose)

They aren’t cheap
And although nice while they last
LOVE the fact they take up so little storage room

They don’t last long

So not worth the money
(ie $ 60 for 50 feet )

I’ve blown thru 2 in 2 years
Thought the first one was a fluke
So I bought a second
Same thing ... so not worth the money a 3rd time

Am going back to standard heavy duty hose
Be that a 100 footer, or 2 x 50
At like half the price
And based on past experiences ... years of use
And gonna get me a some sort of storage box to contain it all
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Ga ... me=default
Mar 1, 2017
107 posts
69 upvotes
Get a hose from Costco for the best quality and price.
If you want an amazing hose then look at one of the Flexzilla hoses. They come in different diameters and lengths.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
From your link further down, I have the Zero-G bought in Walmart, for couple seasons + 1 winter so far. Winter I used it to flood outdoor rink with hot-ish water, but did keep the hose indoor so it wouldn't freeze. So far so good I guess, for sure a lot lighter than regular hose.

I had one of those super expendable one but only lasted one season. Leaked in the middle of the hose. Forgot what brand tho.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
2268 posts
2729 upvotes
Buy a rubber garden hose. Pay more up front but you'll never buy one again. Or buy a crappy one every 1-2 years
>Wake up and take the orange pill ...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
I own two Flexzillas and can speak to their durability. There is nothing on the market that has Flexzilla's combination of weight and quality/durability. I have commercial grade rubber hoses as well but once you get to 50' and beyond, they get very heavy to carry and roll back up. Lee Valley used to sell something they called Lifetime hoses that were good - I still have a few of them that I buried for remotely located faucets (I have a couple of acres). Nothing I have bought from Costco has come close to either Flexzilla or a good quality rubber hose.

If you can, cancel your Amazon order and order this from Lee Valley:

Flexzilla Swivel-Grip Garden Hose 50' - $57.50 with free shipping

One knock I do have against the Flexzilla is that the hose's outer skin is impossible to keep clean looking. Also, not everybody loves their super bright colour. To each their own...
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3106 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
Rubber hoses are the best. Here's a review of various hoses.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-garden-hose/

Flexzilla used to be the pick, but it gets filthy and is hard to clean, which a lot of people don't like. It also tends to develop flattening spots over time that can block water. It's still a great hose, but if you want a 'long-term, heavy duty hose' that won't drive you insane, get a good quality rubber hose. Buy nice or buy twice.

Don't buy a medium duty non-rubber hose. It'll kink and eventually develop leaks. I did this and had to buy a new hose that year.
Jul 3, 2017
200 posts
231 upvotes
Southern Ontario
+1 for Flexzilla

We have had a 50'er in the garage for the past 2 years. Hose reel broke which was a blessing as this thing is so light and easy to put away that we just replaced the big reel with a plastic hose hanger. Haven't had the discolouration issue that some have but it only touches the driveway so thats likely why.

Will be putting another one in the backyard this season for sure!
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
We've been using the same rubber hoses in the garden for 25+ years. Avoid the gimmicky ones and just pay a bit more for something that lasts.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5758 upvotes
Is the Flexzilla 50 foot for 62 dollars an OK price?

Oh I guess it's a decent price, Lee Valley is 5 dollars cheaper but oos online and Home Depot is way closer to me
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Squirrel99 wrote: Is the Flexzilla 50 foot for 62 dollars an OK price?

Oh I guess it's a decent price, Lee Valley is 5 dollars cheaper but oos online and Home Depot is way closer to me
A $5 difference for a hose that will last many years isn't worth worrying about IMO.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
gmoney506 wrote: Any thoughts? It has a 10 year warranty at least.

https://www.costco.ca/all-season-24.3-m ... 61697.html
Stores are full of cheap hoses advertising stuff like premium, heavy-duty, all-season, contractor-grade etc. - all meaningless. It's mainly down to the material that the hose is made of, and if they don't actually mention what it is and boast about it, you can probably guess that they don't want you to pay any attention to that. It's best if you can go to the store and take a look yourself before buying. Try to flex it and kink it, and you'll soon figure out the real properties of the hose.

The best hoses made of synthetic materials are lighter than rubber or vinyl. They don't kink easily, and unkink with a brief flick. They remain flexible even at low temperatures, allowing easy coiling. Easily worth triple the price of a crappy vinyl hose that will make you regret every penny you spend on it.

Personally I don't worry much about my hoses getting dirty, but synthetic hose materials do tend to pick up dirt and stains more than rubber or vinyl.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
For me I needed at least the 100ft hose so that created some limitation right off the bat.

I bought the Stanley FatMax. Got the 100ft one on sale at Home Hardware for $65. I haven't got it yet with the online being so slow. It's not on sale any more.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/stanle ... 1001490422

The Viper that someone else mentioned was also one of my possibles but the FatMax on sale was a better deal.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/viper- ... 1001185111

The Colorwave brand was another contender but the price point was a little too steep for me.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/colour ... 1000798376
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
The last 2 years I have had 2 hoses fail (Costco in store hoses). Both failed at the end coupling that attaches to the faucet. They sprung a leak and just like that they became garbage. Kinda ironic that the hose material itself has held up fine, but the hardware attached at the ends is the issue.

EDIT: Does anyone recall the LENGTH of those standard heavy duty hoses (Flexon?) that Costco has sold in store the last few years? I seem to recall they were something like 65 feet? They were the perfect length to reach my garden so I want to ensure I get a replacement that is at least as long as they were.
Last edited by Tiberius on May 21st, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
CaptSmethwick wrote: I own two Flexzillas and can speak to their durability. There is nothing on the market that has Flexzilla's combination of weight and quality/durability. I have commercial grade rubber hoses as well but once you get to 50' and beyond, they get very heavy to carry and roll back up. Lee Valley used to sell something they called Lifetime hoses that were good - I still have a few of them that I buried for remotely located faucets (I have a couple of acres). Nothing I have bought from Costco has come close to either Flexzilla or a good quality rubber hose.

If you can, cancel your Amazon order and order this from Lee Valley:

Flexzilla Swivel-Grip Garden Hose 50' - $57.50 with free shipping

One knock I do have against the Flexzilla is that the hose's outer skin is impossible to keep clean looking. Also, not everybody loves their super bright colour. To each their own...
PIty Lee Valley won't ship it anymore...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)