• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 3:16 pm
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
985 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto

Gardena - Warranty Replacement - Customer Service Process is Terrible

I bought a Gardena Aquazoom oscillating sprinkler on August 20th, 2020. I used it a couple of times then put it away in the garage for the winter (garage has insulation, does not freeze).

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/garden ... 1000721617

This spring when I brought it out, it no longer worked. It leaks from the oscillating piece.

I sent Gardena a message on May 19th with the youtube video, an image of my receipt from Home Depot and a link to the product on the Home Depot website.

The person who messaged me back asked for my mailing address and said a replacement would be sent.

I still do not have my replacement. I have followed up 6 times over the course of the summer. A couple times, they told me it was sent, but would not provide me a shipping number. A couple times they've indicated that they are backlogged due to covid.

Mainly posting this as a warning for anyone looking to purchase Gardena products.
30 replies
Dec 21, 2020
558 posts
487 upvotes
Go to Home Depot. Buy a new one, return the broken one. Let them deal with it.
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
985 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
RCLapCar wrote: Go to Home Depot. Buy a new one, return the broken one. Let them deal with it.
Don't get me started about Home Depot. I brought it back to Home Depot prior to trying the warranty replacement route. When I approached the two ladies in the garden center about the defect, they gave me cut-eye and raised their voices with me....saying that they can't take it back. There's a 30 day return policy. I tried to explain to them that I bought it at the end of August and didn't have 30 days of use. They were quite rude and unhelpful. Then another staff walking by over-heard the ladies with their raised voices and asked what's the issue. I told him the story and he kindly told me to contact Gardena for a warranty replacement - that it is under 1 year warranty.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17992 posts
8969 upvotes
redwings_patriots wrote: Don't get me started about Home Depot. I brought it back to Home Depot prior to trying the warranty replacement route. When I approached the two ladies in the garden center about the defect, they gave me cut-eye and raised their voices with me....saying that they can't take it back. There's a 30 day return policy. I tried to explain to them that I bought it at the end of August and didn't have 30 days of use. They were quite rude and unhelpful. Then another staff walking by over-heard the ladies with their raised voices and asked what's the issue. I told him the story and he kindly told me to contact Gardena for a warranty replacement - that it is under 1 year warranty.
One of the areas where CT does well is with their warranty. Many of their products offer an in-store exchange warranty. Even the Gardena unit you have:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gard ... p.html#srp
WARRANTY
This product carries a 1 year exchange warranty redeemable in-store.

Perhaps it would be worth considering CT for your next purchase if you want an in-store exchange.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1385 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: One of the areas where CT does well is with their warranty. Many of their products offer an in-store exchange warranty. Even the Gardena unit you have:
WARRANTY

Perhaps it would be worth considering CT for your next purchase if you want an in-store exchange.
Returning something at Canadian tire is equally bad, I guess it depends on the location. They look at you like you stole the item despite giving them the receipt
JS
Dec 21, 2020
558 posts
487 upvotes
Your mistake was going to the garden center to do the exchange. You go to the customer service/returns desk at the main entrance. Home Depot has a 90 day return period.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
TrevorK wrote: One of the areas where CT does well is with their warranty. Many of their products offer an in-store exchange warranty. Even the Gardena unit you have:
WARRANTY

Cdn Tire can suck a *&^% with their return policy. Bought a Fiskars lifetime warranty weed puller from them, broke it a few years later. Went in to replace it (no receipt) and they said it wasnt a lifetime warranty. I pulled up my phone and showed them the exact product on their website, LIFETIME WARRANTY big and bold. They told me “well, it has a lifetime warranty now, but how do you know it had one back then?” Emailed Fiskars and had one in around 3 days shipped direct from them in the US Midwest (like Wisconsin area).

Another time I bought bed light bulbs for my truck, based on their light bulb book. As soon as I took it out, realized it was wrong. Brought in the old bulb, got new, and accidentally put the new receipt with the old bulbs to return them. They told me “How do we know you bought that here?” Unopened MASTERCRAFT bulbs.

Third story and my favorite. Neighbour bought a new car battery there. It was cold out, and the battery died inside the first week. He took it back, assuming it was just a bad battery. They told him it froze so there is no warranty. He asked how their battery could freeze (“made for canadian winters” all over the battery area), and they told him when its cold he needs to bring the car battery in for the night. He asked them if they did that, and the lady said “yes, I bring my car battery into the house every night”. What a pile of bull.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
James Stonehenge wrote: Returning something at Canadian tire is equally bad, I guess it depends on the location. They look at you like you stole the item despite giving them the receipt
Had my wife’s motorcycle in there for a saftey. Came back to get it and they told me I couldnt enter the store with my helmet and I needed to leave my $1k bike helmet at customer service. I asked if if would be secure and if it fell if they would replace it. Told me they take no responsibility for items left there, so I walked past them and they chased me down. Told them to follow me or call the cops as I wasnt leaving my stuff with them.

Later found out they cant force you to leave your stuff with them. It was a HELMET not a backpack.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7250 posts
2835 upvotes
GTA
Canadian Tire is the worst. I think the associates at returns desk are rated/graded by how many returns they process. Exact opposite of cashiers, the less clients served per hour the better the rating. Cause a long lineup opening a sealed box to ensure all parts are inside must be bonus points.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17992 posts
8969 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: Returning something at Canadian tire is equally bad, I guess it depends on the location. They look at you like you stole the item despite giving them the receipt
I have personally never had a problem exchanging items under warranty.

I have seen people who mistake the one year warranty for a refund, and have seen those people refused.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17992 posts
8969 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Cdn Tire can suck a *&^% with their return policy. Bought a Fiskars lifetime warranty weed puller from them, broke it a few years later. Went in to replace it (no receipt) and they said it wasnt a lifetime warranty. I pulled up my phone and showed them the exact product on their website, LIFETIME WARRANTY big and bold. They told me “well, it has a lifetime warranty now, but how do you know it had one back then?” Emailed Fiskars and had one in around 3 days shipped direct from them in the US Midwest (like Wisconsin area).
They typically have a binder at customer service with all their warranty info for products they sell. Perhaps the person you dealt with did not know that.
Another time I bought bed light bulbs for my truck, based on their light bulb book. As soon as I took it out, realized it was wrong. Brought in the old bulb, got new, and accidentally put the new receipt with the old bulbs to return them. They told me “How do we know you bought that here?” Unopened MASTERCRAFT bulbs.
Sometimes people buy Mastercraft items at garage sales to return them. That's why they require a receipt for returns.
Third story and my favorite. Neighbour bought a new car battery there. It was cold out, and the battery died inside the first week. He took it back, assuming it was just a bad battery. They told him it froze so there is no warranty. He asked how their battery could freeze (“made for canadian winters” all over the battery area), and they told him when its cold he needs to bring the car battery in for the night. He asked them if they did that, and the lady said “yes, I bring my car battery into the house every night”. What a pile of bull.
Frozen batteries are not covered by any warranty I am aware of.

Here is an example of Kal Tire which specifically excludes frozen batteries:
https://www.kaltire.com/en/battery-warranty/

Here is an example of Interstate's warranty, they are a battery manufacturer:
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/support/warranty
They exclude:
Batteries that are damaged due to abuse, neglect, misuse, fire, accident, collision, explosion, freezing, or theft. This limited warranty controls all contractual warranty claims. IB makes no other express warranties

Batteries take an incredibly low temperature to freeze when maintained properly (colder than -50 without windchill). What usually happens is that the battery is discharged too far, and then because the battery is able to freeze at much warmer temperatures. It is more likely your neighbour had other issues at the same time for a brand new battery to freeze.

I think often people mistake a warranty for a "you can return it for whatever reason". That's not how warranties work. They are not satisfaction guarantees. And as we see with the battery, there are limitations to a warranty across all manufacturers. Sure some customer service staff are not well trained but that happens across all companies and is hardly exclusive to Canadian Tire.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
TrevorK wrote: They typically have a binder at customer service with all their warranty info for products they sell. Perhaps the person you dealt with did not know that.

Sometimes people buy Mastercraft items at garage sales to return them. That's why they require a receipt for returns.

Frozen batteries are not covered by any warranty I am aware of.
The Store Manager is the one that told me the Fiskar’s deal.

I purchased the light bulbs on the Cdn Tire Mastercard. I had it with me for the exact amount. I think the CTC Mastercard even detailed out items bought from Cdn Tire.

It was the audacity of telling him to REMOVE the battery and bring it into the house every night. Literally who does that?

Do you work for CTC?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1385 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: The Store Manager is the one that told me the Fiskar’s deal.

I purchased the light bulbs on the Cdn Tire Mastercard. I had it with me for the exact amount. I think the CTC Mastercard even detailed out items bought from Cdn Tire.

It was the audacity of telling him to REMOVE the battery and bring it into the house every night. Literally who does that?

Do you work for CTC?
He must. Their defence is unrivalled
JS
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17992 posts
8969 upvotes
Jerico wrote: The Store Manager is the one that told me the Fiskar’s deal.
Then the store manager was incorrect in not looking it up in their binder. That's the whole reason they have it.
Now with Triangle Rewards it saves your receipt so there is no trouble, so at least that shouldn't happen again if you forget the receipt.
Dumb questions get dumb answers. A battery does freeze and manufacturers do not cover it. Asking how it could happen is asking for a lower-wage employee to explain the chemistry behind the compounds and how it affects the temperate they freeze at, then explain how being discharged then impacts that.

If this explanation was beyond the customer why would they expect it from a lower wage employee?
Do you work for CTC?
No. I tire of people who continually bag on companies because they did not make themselves aware of the terms of their purchase ahead of time. Not every business adopts the model of Costco where they literally take everything bag (although they are changing with their electronics policy and that).

When I read through your post and take it at face value you have one instance of a store manager giving you incorrect information (CTs fault), one instance where you forgot a receipt (your fault, but they have improved the system since for their loyalty program), and one instance of someone not reading their warranty on the product they purchased (that persons fault). It's important to talk about this because people need to be aware of the terms of their purchase, as well as the warranty. That way they can buy a different product or shop elsewhere. I myself will buy products at Costco because I know if it fails in a couple of years they will refund it, and I have some feeling the item may fail. They never have failed, but sometimes I am not willing to take the chance with certain products.

It's all about being an informed consumer. Then you can make an informed decision and not buy a product at CT if you are aware of their terms (or to buy it at CT when it comes to say a Mastercraft tool with an incredible exchange program).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5265 upvotes
Mississauga
A newly purchased battery that is fully charged shouldn't freeze.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
TrevorK wrote: It's all about being an informed consumer. Then you can make an informed decision and not buy a product at CT if you are aware of their terms (or to buy it at CT when it comes to say a Mastercraft tool with an incredible exchange program).
On the whole, Cdn Tire is more difficult to return things in my experience than other retailers, specifically their competitors like Walmart, Costco, Home Depot and Lowes (a statement you seemed to agree with). The terms and conditions of their return policy are more arduous to the consumer. I believe your statement to the contrary to be false, and I gave specific examples to support my opinion vs your counterpoint of “consumers should read all their policies and then they are great”. Sure if your follow all their policies, but its easier to follow the policies of their competitors, thereby supporting my initial statements.

As for the battery, it was fully charged and froze overnight. It was a bad battery, as detailed when he took it to a different Cdn Tire and they did exchange it for one he did not have problems with again until he sold the car, while outdoor temps were still cold enough to freeze the brass balls off a monkey.

Personally I am tired of apologists for big name companies.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2769 posts
1922 upvotes
redwings_patriots wrote: I bought a Gardena Aquazoom oscillating sprinkler on August 20th, 2020. I used it a couple of times then put it away in the garage for the winter (garage has insulation, does not freeze).

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/garden ... 1000721617

This spring when I brought it out, it no longer worked. It leaks from the oscillating piece.

I sent Gardena a message on May 19th with the youtube video, an image of my receipt from Home Depot and a link to the product on the Home Depot website.

The person who messaged me back asked for my mailing address and said a replacement would be sent.

I still do not have my replacement. I have followed up 6 times over the course of the summer. A couple times, they told me it was sent, but would not provide me a shipping number. A couple times they've indicated that they are backlogged due to covid.

Mainly posting this as a warning for anyone looking to purchase Gardena products.
Timely thread. Im looking for a lawn sprinkler myself. We're at a major disadvantage with the seasonal items being 1 yr warranty. We use our gardening items May-Sept and we miss 6mos of that warranty. It should be 1.5yrs so we can get a full 12 months or our items

Will avoid Gardena. Thank you
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17992 posts
8969 upvotes
Jerico wrote: On the whole, Cdn Tire is more difficult to return things in my experience than other retailers, specifically their competitors like Walmart, Costco, Home Depot and Lowes (a statement you seemed to agree with). The terms and conditions of their return policy are more arduous to the consumer. I believe your statement to the contrary to be false, and I gave specific examples to support my opinion vs your counterpoint of “consumers should read all their policies and then they are great”. Sure if your follow all their policies, but its easier to follow the policies of their competitors, thereby supporting my initial statements.

As for the battery, it was fully charged and froze overnight. It was a bad battery, as detailed when he took it to a different Cdn Tire and they did exchange it for one he did not have problems with again until he sold the car, while outdoor temps were still cold enough to freeze the brass balls off a monkey.

Personally I am tired of apologists for big name companies.
Canadian Tire is fine for returns when the item meets their policy. There is no problem there. But stores like Costco, Home Depot, Lowes all take opened items and that is one of the big differences - Canadian Tire may take open items but it will be entirely at their discretion. It does not make Canadian Tire "bad" for not following their own policies (Amazon for example has a similar policy on open box items), their policies are often misunderstood as many people like to try out items and return if they do not like them.

There are just too many people who think they can walk in and the "customer is always right". Consumers should be aware of policies before they buy an item, and these conversations help flush that out.

Edit: But in cases like this post it would have been easier to buy at CT with the in-store warranty exchange. That is one benefit CT has over many stores.
May 6, 2010
930 posts
324 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i had multiple garden sprinklers, ended up doing inground sprinklers with manual water connect (no solenoid, just quick disconnect).
Much more reliable solution, just need compressor to blow out before winter.
Oct 23, 2014
525 posts
400 upvotes
Laval, QC
I Had a Gardena pistol spray gun(their top model) fail on me . Contacted Gardena via Email and never heard from them again. Last Gardena product i will ever buy..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)