Home & Garden

Gardening Noob - what are these on my new lawn? weed? (pics)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2010 10:07 am
[OP]
May 27, 2007
15993 posts
4082 upvotes
Toronto

Gardening Noob - what are these on my new lawn? weed? (pics)

can someone enlighten me as to what these are?

and whether they're harmful or not? :confused:

which ones should i pull out? :|

1) Image

2) Image

3) Image

thanks! :)
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
977 upvotes
Niagara Falls
1 and 3 are weeds, 2 is the grass seeding itself.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
May 27, 2007
15993 posts
4082 upvotes
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote: 1 and 3 are weeds, 2 is the grass seeding itself.
i guess i should start pulling them out?

anyone used stuff like Weed-B-Gon to prevent them from coming back?
RedFlagDeals.com
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
78 upvotes
Etobicoke
Weed-B-gone is good if you have weeds coming out in patio stones or your walkway.
I the middle of your lawn, I'd use a proper weed puller.
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
977 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Peoples milage has varied with the new eco version of weed b gone. It's iron based which means that if it doesn't kill the root the weed comes back stronger than ever. OMAFRA already has a paper out on this product stating that weed regrowth within 21 days is pretty likely unfortunately.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
May 27, 2007
15993 posts
4082 upvotes
Toronto
okay!
thanks all, guess its time to get a Fiskars weed puller! :)
RedFlagDeals.com
Dec 10, 2003
766 posts
7 upvotes
I have both 1 and 3 as well on my lawn. for #1 i pull those out, but for #3 i just mow over them regularly. They are sort of like a vine so it will be hard to pull them out effectively with a weed puller. You will probably end up just pulling out grass instead of getting its root because its so small. Thats my experience at least.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2376 posts
1661 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
CSK'sMom wrote: Peoples milage has varied with the new eco version of weed b gone. It's iron based which means that if it doesn't kill the root the weed comes back stronger than ever. OMAFRA already has a paper out on this product stating that weed regrowth within 21 days is pretty likely unfortunately.
July 14th update has them saying that two applications seems to be very effective on dandelions.

http://apps.omafra.gov.on.ca/scripts/en ... sp?ID=1859
Jun 15, 2008
591 posts
81 upvotes
In spring, I pulled out all the dandelions (looks similar to pic #1) with the fiskar weed puller. The roots came out with it and it made a big hole in the lawn. I didn't bother to cover them up.

Guess what? Most of the holes are now sprouting with weeds (dandy?) similar to pic #1!
Mar 19, 2008
473 posts
25 upvotes
Number three is called Vetch, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicia although the picture there shows a different species. It is actually a beneficial plant - as a member of the legume family, they fix nitrogen into the ground.

If you really don't like it, just keep the lawn closely mowed and the vetch will die.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6562 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
Techhead wrote: Weed-B-gone is good if you have weeds coming out in patio stones or your walkway.
I the middle of your lawn, I'd use a proper weed puller.
Using a selective killer like weed-b-gone on your patio stones is a waste of money, unless you're looking to not kill the grass that's growing on your stones.

There is Pathclear which is non-selective and cheaper. Then there is also the homemade recipes with vinegar, salt, soap. Then there is also the boiling water technique.
This space for rent

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)