Garfield themed restaurant coming to Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2021 10:13 am
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote: I don't care what show they created in 2012. Garfield peaked late 70s/80s. Nobody gives a shit about Garfield lol.
As I said, they would not have created new Garfield episodes.
Nobody says "Let's do something that has peaked and is gone..."
Something had to be there to trigger the need for fresh new content in a time day and age where there is no shortage of other possible content to fill the air time.
Why are they working on a fresh new 2020 movie? Garfield did not peak. Garfield did not "Jump the shark".
Like it or not he's still around today!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: Really?? Why stop there and not do a Inspector Gadget or My Pet Monster-themed pizzeria?
Gotta have those Go-Bots.... and the Snorks too!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Gotta have those Go-Bots.... and the Snorks too!
Go bots died. What's a Snork? and it looks like Transformers would have been the smarter suggestion there.

I'm surprised no one has suggested (at this rate) that there should be a smurf berry pie store...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote: I don't care what show they created in 2012. Garfield peaked late 70s/80s. Nobody gives a shit about Garfield lol.
FWIW, Menchies at least has good frozen yogurt, but they still seem to somehow think that the Emoji movie is a brand new movie being released in theatres THIS July to a theatre near you! lol
Talk about come and gone... lol
Aug 6, 2018
359 posts
352 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: More like 35 or 40 years ago for his peak of popularity. I did like him though. This food looks revolting. Those Chef Boyardee boxes pizza mixes when I was a kid made better looking pizza than that.
Garfield was only created in 1978 and didn't start to gain popularity until 1981 peaking in the 80s to early 90s so you're wrong.

Anyways the story behind GarfieldEats is the most bizarre thing i've come across. The creator is like the Ed Wood of restauranteurs lol.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote: More like 35 or 40 years ago for his peak of popularity.
HghSsociety wrote: Pretty much this.
No, more like, pretty much THIS:

7. GARFIELD HOLDS THE GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR BEING THE WORLD'S MOST WIDELY SYNDICATED COMIC STRIP.
Garfield is syndicated in more than 2500 newspapers and journals. The cat also has more than 16 million fans on Facebook. That’s one seriously popular feline.

But then there's also this:
(add pizza store to number 6?)
6. HE REGRETS AT LEAST ONE LICENSED GARFIELD ITEM.
According to Slate, Garfield merchandise brings in $750 million to $1 billion annually. Davis’s creation has been adapted and licensed more times than anyone could probably count, and of all of those items, there's one that Davis isn't thrilled with. “A few years ago there was a Zombie Garfield,” he says. “It was really gnarly and I thought, 'Oh, this will be fun.' So I did it and it sold okay. It was really interesting. But then I looked at it later and I go, ‘It did nothing for the character’s advancement.’ I figured I just did it because it was cool and everybody was doing it at the time. I just didn’t have a warm, fuzzy feeling after doing it. But those T-shirts go away," he laughs.

SOURCE: http://mentalfloss.com/article/59797/20 ... t-garfield
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: 7. GARFIELD HOLDS THE GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR BEING THE WORLD'S MOST WIDELY SYNDICATED COMIC STRIP.
What's your point? This is going to help sell those horrible looking pizzas and nasty lasagnas?

TBH, the only way that crap will sell (in Canada anyway) is if you replace Garfield with the Tim Horton's logo. And that is a serious comment, not a joke.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: What's your point? This is going to help sell those horrible looking pizzas and nasty lasagnas?

TBH, the only way that crap will sell (in Canada anyway) is if you replace Garfield with the Tim Horton's logo. And that is a serious comment, not a joke.
UM...Tim Horton's already HAD better lasagna. They just didn't stick with it.
My point is that someone was suggesting that nobody cares about Garfield.
They do. It's the pizza that's bad, not Garfield himself.
Surprisingly, something is finally worse than Tim Hortons, and Tim Horton's themselves would have done it better. (at least for the lasagna...)
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/2222 ... a-to-menu/
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes
I kept hearing about this place on 680news.

The idea may have had a chance, if the person making the food didn't hate their life so much...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Ugh, I remember the commercials for that TH lasagna ... I can describe it in two words: HAMBURGER HELPER.
THAT I think we can agree on, but it's still ten times better than that...that...THING that is somehow passed as lasagna at the Garfield pizza place, so kindly give TH a (very tiny) break.
I have not tasted it yet, but I bet I can go to a grocery store and buy no name or some other single serve lasagna and it will still both look and taste better than Garfield lasagna.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: THAT I think we can agree on, but it's still ten times better than that...that...THING that is somehow passed as lasagna at the Garfield pizza place, so kindly give TH a (very tiny) break.
I have not tasted it yet, but I bet I can go to a grocery store and buy no name or some other single serve lasagna and it will still both look and taste better than Garfield lasagna.
I take that back. Calling that TH slop Hamburger Helper is an insult to Hamburger Helper. It actually looks more like Chef Boyardee Roller Coasters pasta, do they still make that? (I probably last had that in grade 3)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I take that back. Calling that TH slop Hamburger Helper is an insult to Hamburger Helper. It actually looks more like Chef Boyardee Roller Coasters pasta, do they still make that? (I probably last had that in grade 3)
No, the Lasagna @ TH was way better than that, but don't dismiss that they were not yet sold to 3G corp yet either.
I don't doubt that if it were today, 3G would find a way to make the Lasagna cheaper.
Hopefully not as bad as the Garfield Lasagna, but who knows?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39767 upvotes
Toronto
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Sure sounds like they drew a nice big crowd of onlookers and media for the ribbon-cutting ceremony....
Aug 26, 2018
377 posts
745 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: I don't sell pizza in my stores but if I did and I put that out the window I'd be embarrassed as hell. This is going to be one of those places where there is a ton of hype the first few weeks and as people get their food and see crap like that they don't come back and the owner will wonder wtf happened when it is obvious to anyone in this thread wtf happened

3.7 on Google reviews which is pretty bad
I had a good chuckle when I saw the pic of that pizza. I can't even describe how pissed I'd be if any pizza chain gave me a pizza like that.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
fattyburger11 wrote: I had a good chuckle when I saw the pic of that pizza. I can't even describe how pissed I'd be if any pizza chain gave me a pizza like that.
Only Tim Horton's could get away with selling garbage like that. And Burger King too. Same company...
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Really weird. I don't think people here are that big Garfield fans. Maybe in Japan.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)