• Jun 24th, 2022 9:46 am
Tags:
Sep 1, 2010
160 posts
25 upvotes
GTA

Gas BBQ Gas Hose length question?

Hi,
I am planning to move natural gas BBQ from one side of the deck to another side. Currently, it is connected with ~ 6 ft flexible pipe which is connected with a gas pipe connector near the wall.
I am thinking to get and replace this flexi gas pipe with 30 feet (under the deck) and move bbq to other side.
Wondering is this something that can be done or against code? Any other issue in this approach?

Something following or similar would work?
SHINESTAR 36 Feet Natural Gas Hose with 3/8inch Quick Disconnect for Most Grill, Fire Pit, Patio Heater, Pizza Oven
18 replies
Dec 4, 2009
837 posts
875 upvotes
Flamborough
Every part of me says “Go to the BBQ store, get a hose that is CSA approved”.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
a3dview wrote: Hi,
I am planning to move natural gas BBQ from one side of the deck to another side. Currently, it is connected with ~ 6 ft flexible pipe which is connected with a gas pipe connector near the wall.
I am thinking to get and replace this flexi gas pipe with 30 feet (under the deck) and move bbq to other side.
Wondering is this something that can be done or against code? Any other issue in this approach?

Something following or similar would work?
SHINESTAR 36 Feet Natural Gas Hose with 3/8inch Quick Disconnect for Most Grill, Fire Pit, Patio Heater, Pizza Oven
Will it work? Most likely.
Is it Code compliant? Probably not for running under your deck.
Will it cause an explosion killing you and your neighbours? Doubtful.
Could it leak and start your deck on fire? Possible, but not probable.
Could it leak and waste hundreds of cubic meters of NG without you knowing it? Possibly, especially if you have no sense of smell.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Putting this here as I'm looking to tap off a BBQ line for a generator. Any gas fitter plz pm
Sep 1, 2010
160 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
MrFrugal1 wrote: Will it work? Most likely.
Is it Code compliant? Probably not for running under your deck.
Will it cause an explosion killing you and your neighbours? Doubtful.
Could it leak and start your deck on fire? Possible, but not probable.
Could it leak and waste hundreds of cubic meters of NG without you knowing it? Possibly, especially if you have no sense of smell.
Regarding leakage, I turn off from Gas Ball Valve from outside and also inside, so chances are will not leak when not in use.

How about running over the deck on the side? Will that be a code issue?
Thx
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
a3dview wrote: Regarding leakage, I turn off from Gas Ball Valve from outside and also inside, so chances are will not leak when not in use.

Thx
Honestly, I am not conversant in the Code in regards to gas appliances. I was playing the devil's advocate with my previous post. I think running a hose across the top of your deck is a greater risk to life and limb due to a trip hazard than any other risk created by routing it under your deck. If you suspended it properly from the joists, I'm sure it would be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
a3dview wrote: Regarding leakage, I turn off from Gas Ball Valve from outside and also inside, so chances are will not leak when not in use.

Thx
That's why they have to made codes because "chances are" it could happen. They have to protect people from themselves but more to protect other people who are unaware of somebodies poor practices.
Extending a gas line 30ft may change every section of gas pipe in your house when you recalculate the piping sizes as per the gas code because that pipe may turn into the "longest length" which all piping will be sized by.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote: That's why they have to made codes because "chances are" it could happen. They have to protect people from themselves but more to protect other people who are unaware of somebodies poor practices.
Extending a gas line 30ft may change every section of gas pipe in your house when you recalculate the piping sizes as per the gas code because that pipe may turn into the "longest length" which all piping will be sized by.
By chance do you know how to calculate adequate BTUs at the end of a line?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: By chance do you know how to calculate adequate BTUs at the end of a line?
Yes I do.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: If you could shoot me a PM I'd appreciate it

If too busy I understand.
PM me your questions and I'll see if I can answer them.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote: PM me your questions and I'll see if I can answer them.
It looks like you have PMs turned off looking at your profile
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: It looks like you have PMs turned off looking at your profile
Never knew it was off. It's on now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Todd96srv wrote: Every part of me says “Go to the BBQ store, get a hose that is CSA approved”.
Yeah, I don't see anything that mentions approvals. But hey, with a name like Shinestar it's probably a Chinese made product, so what could go wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
In a similar situation in Oakville. Re-doing deck boards and need to replace the klutzy set-up coming out of the wall.

Looks like original location for bbq was where the line went outside. At some point it was redone maybe when the deck was first added and they teed off to go under the deck. Now that I’m replacing the deck boards it’s a good time to remove the above deck shutoff valve which was left in place but doesn’t actually do anything and turn that into an elbow instead. And at the same time maybe get a shut-off valve installed in the basement so the bbq can be turned off from inside (there’s a shut off by the bbq but better to be able to completely close that line from inside when going away, etc).

Also to take a look and make sure everything is good before I finish replacing boards and the line under the deck isn’t accessible anymore.

Any referrals for a licensed tech who does small jobs like this in the Oakville area would be great - thanks!
Images
  • D0A02C81-A077-4CB1-8A64-937905C1B40D.jpeg
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
There is a highly recommended HVAC tech here on RFD that many people have used, They do gas lines so may want to reach out.
CanadianLurker wrote: In a similar situation in Oakville. Re-doing deck boards and need to replace the klutzy set-up coming out of the wall.

Looks like original location for bbq was where the line went outside. At some point it was redone maybe when the deck was first added and they teed off to go under the deck. Now that I’m replacing the deck boards it’s a good time to remove the above deck shutoff valve which was left in place but doesn’t actually do anything and turn that into an elbow instead. And at the same time maybe get a shut-off valve installed in the basement so the bbq can be turned off from inside (there’s a shut off by the bbq but better to be able to completely close that line from inside when going away, etc).

Also to take a look and make sure everything is good before I finish replacing boards and the line under the deck isn’t accessible anymore.

Any referrals for a licensed tech who does small jobs like this in the Oakville area would be great - thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
CanadianLurker wrote: At some point it was redone maybe when the deck was first added and they teed off to go under the deck. Now that I’m replacing the deck boards it’s a good time to remove the above deck shutoff valve which was left in place but doesn’t actually do anything and turn that into an elbow instead. And at the same time maybe get a shut-off valve installed in the basement so the bbq can be turned off from inside (there’s a shut off by the bbq but better to be able to completely close that line from inside when going away, etc).
Eliminate the T, thread the gas valve onto pipe that goes through wall, thread yellow gas line onto the valve. That should be done by a licensed gas fitter who will use pipe dope etc. Make the shut off valve accessable.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1840 posts
1485 upvotes
QuinteWest
I need gas lines installed. Any gas fitters in GTA that can do work in Trenton area (weekdays or weekends) please PM me. 60 feet of run at least 3/4" pipe and shut off valves. Thanks!
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Man, these Flexi hose of long lengths to run across a different end of the deck, just does not seem like a good idea.

Just get it properly done, where they continue the pipe run properly to where it needs to go. They can move the shutoff valve as well, so that it's close to where the BBQ will ultimately be, instead of running to the opposite side to turn it off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)