• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 2:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 16, 2022
9 posts
21 upvotes

Gas bill - WHOA

Just got my Jan gas bill. WHOAAAA did that ever go up. Compared to last Jan, I used less gas and it cost me about 125 bucks more. Nothing we can do, just wanted to vent and see how it's impacting everyone else.

The fact that I had to pay 43 dollars in HST is just further insult to injury. GAH!
129 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5313 posts
5433 upvotes
Ottawa
Gas rates have more than doubled in the last year.

I noticed that our Dec's bill that 40% of the bill was the actual gas supply charge. The rest was all the additional charges.

Get ready. April 1st Carbon tax increases again.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4219 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
Well, we did vote for more tax, not our fault Putin decided to invade Ukraine, and that the Europeans went green and shut down their nuclear reactors lol.

Perfect storm.

https://www.enbridgegas.com/residential ... bon-charge

Costs going up up up. Our voting patterns suggested that we prioritized the environment over our economy. We still have a poor environmental track record, so I wonder what it was all for.

Good luck everyone over the next years. Hope you don't drown in inflation like our lower classes hitting up the food banks in record numbers. It's going to be rough.

Property tax going up as well.
May 7, 2015
745 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We could stop charging the tax and it will be just as effective at saving the environment.

But who’d we be virtue signaling to then?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3560 posts
1703 upvotes
Ottawa
Also make sure it's an actual reading and not an estimate. You can submit your own gas readings online (it has to be within last few days before cycle ends)
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1047 posts
740 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
ADenariusSaved wrote: Well, we did vote for more tax, not our fault Putin decided to invade Ukraine, and that the Europeans went green and shut down their nuclear reactors lol.

Perfect storm.

https://www.enbridgegas.com/residential ... bon-charge

Costs going up up up. Our voting patterns suggested that we prioritized the environment over our economy. We still have a poor environmental track record, so I wonder what it was all for.

Good luck everyone over the next years. Hope you don't drown in inflation like our lower classes hitting up the food banks in record numbers. It's going to be rough.

Property tax going up as well.
Yeah.... I am that lower class person, and I am only able to barely weather the storm because I all but own my home (like I think it's sub-$20k now) and broke the remaining mortgage into an extended term so I'm paying almost nothing. But even with that huge advantage, I had to drop my internet and go cell-data-only. They have extremely underexagerrated inflation. They use convoluted means to smokescreen what's actually happened. If you take things like gasoline out of the mix and look at essentials (like the nat gas mentioned), most increases were north of 10%, some as high as 30%-50%, especially on food. And as someone allergic to basically everything, I can tell you, it's absolutely crushing....
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Plan: 100GB UL QC plan $65 ($75 after 2yr)
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4% (Restaurants)/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% (Grocery) BMO CB MC (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2328 posts
1690 upvotes
GTA
I was shocked my mine as well. Went up by around $125. Ouch indeed!
Deal Addict
May 31, 2018
1145 posts
2878 upvotes
SaskEnergy sent the following breakdown on our bill, 1000 M3 consumption:

Gas Delivery Service:
$24.50 Basic Monthly Charge
$109.60 Delivery Charge
$6.71 GST

Gas Supply Cost:
$166.79 Gas Supplied by SaskEnergy
$8.34 GST

Federal Carbon Tax:
$97.54 Federal Carbon Charge
$4.88 GST

So almost $120 in taxes on a $420 bill. Good times alright.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4219 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
CouponBaron wrote: Yeah.... I am that lower class person, and I am only able to barely weather the storm because I all but own my home (like I think it's sub-$20k now) and broke the remaining mortgage into an extended term so I'm paying almost nothing. But even with that huge advantage, I had to drop my internet and go cell-data-only. They have extremely underexagerrated inflation. They use convoluted means to smokescreen what's actually happened. If you take things like gasoline out of the mix and look at essentials (like the nat gas mentioned), most increases were north of 10%, some as high as 30%-50%, especially on food. And as someone allergic to basically everything, I can tell you, it's absolutely crushing....
It's not over-exaggerated inflation, you're experiencing true inflation but government statisticians throw random shit into the CPI and rejig calculation methodology to make things look better than they are. I'm sure a big proportion of household budgets are going towards necessities and not doodads like LCD TVs (which deflate in price due to better manufacturing tech). CPI has always been known to understate inflation. The definition kept getting modified to be more liberal. It's the same with unemployment, where they're not counting people that have been out more than 6+ months as they're considered discouraged seekers. In the CPI, the BLS changed the definition in the Clinton era to include hedonics lol, so mental acrobatics to push the stat down. In the core CPI, they exclude food and gas.
The Bank of Canada uses core CPI inflation, the year-over-year rate of change of the consumer price index excluding food, energy, and the effects of changes in indirect taxes, as the operational guide for monetary policy.
https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2001/01/tec ... y%20policy.

People don't realize it, but inflation is actually a tax, government issues deficits then prints money, and it robs everyone in society (wage earners and savers) by extracting the value of the currency and re-allocating it to whomever spend sit first (gov/banks/financial institutions).

People always say 'oh global issues' but some things are uniquely Canadian - money printing:

You know, we're the 4-5th biggest oil and gas producer in the world? I know it's global prices, but you can look up the Arabic/Persian OPEC countries and their own energy costs are heavily subsidized. We treat our oil and gas sector as pariahs when it's one of our biggest sources of GDP lol...

Ah well, at least we have a good environmental record right? lol
Canada’s emissions record worst in the G7, federal Environment Commissioner says

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... emissions/

Can't please everyone I guess...Good luck to us all.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19883 posts
2645 upvotes
I have an electric heat pump and laugh at gas users at my $ < 200 / month all-in (Ie not just heat) electric bill.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4219 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
brunes wrote: I have an electric heat pump and laugh at gas users at my $ < 200 / month all-in (Ie not just heat) electric bill.
I thought electric was more expensive? I remember the East Coasters getting eviscerated by heating because all they have there is electric (despite a massive refinery in Saint John). I read about Germans converting to heat pumps because of the gas disruptions. Never heard of that tech, must be more efficient.
Jan 3, 2013
890 posts
449 upvotes
Mississauga
As someone mentioned above, make sure it was an actual reading and not an estimate.
This happened to my last bill which was almost double my previous month and much higher than last year's same month bill. I called Enbridge with my actual reading which was much lower than the estimate and they lowered my bill by $80. My readings had been estimated for 3 months in a row due to "lack of personnel to do the scheduled reading".
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19883 posts
2645 upvotes
ADenariusSaved wrote: I thought electric was more expensive? I remember the East Coasters getting eviscerated by heating because all they have there is electric (despite a massive refinery in Saint John). I read about Germans converting to heat pumps because of the gas disruptions. Never heard of that tech, must be more efficient.
You thought wrong. Electric heat pumps are the most efficient form of heating that exists. Air-based is not as efficient as ground-loop, but ground-loop costs more to install than it is usually worth.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
4083 posts
3357 upvotes
Toronto, ON
brunes wrote: I have an electric heat pump and laugh at gas users at my $ < 200 / month all-in (Ie not just heat) electric bill.
It costs about 20K$$ for a 1500 sqft home so it never really pays off.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2454 posts
3227 upvotes
People have short memories.

Natural Gas has been on mostly a decline since the 2008-9 economic mess and has only recently (since 2020) started to increase towards the price trends that are similar to 20 years ago.

I remember back then of private gas resellers coming around trying to lock-in people to discounted (but 5-year contracts) - good thing I didn't, saved me 50-75% annually on my bill compared to what I would have been locked into from 2009-2014.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4219 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
robsaw wrote: People have short memories.

Natural Gas has been on mostly a decline since the 2008-9 economic mess and has only recently (since 2020) started to increase towards the price trends that are similar to 20 years ago.

I remember back then of private gas resellers coming around trying to lock-in people to discounted (but 5-year contracts) - good thing I didn't, saved me 50-75% annually on my bill compared to what I would have been locked into from 2009-2014.
Was that Direct Energy Company a scam? Didn't hear good things about it, parents always complained. Seems like Enbridge is the way to go. I remember looking over the stock ENB-T with my coop student in early 2015, it just kept marching upwards with like 5-7% dividends and 0 beta. Looks like they took a hit in the past few years, so it was too good to be true.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2777 posts
2876 upvotes
You only noticed the cost of heating your home now? Back in August, Enbridge already warned everyone the cost of natural gas was going up. And the Sept/Oct/Nov enbridge bills I received already saw a 20%+ hike in the bill and it was relatively small. Wait until the next gas bill. Going to look like a car payment for some.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2454 posts
3227 upvotes
ADenariusSaved wrote: Was that Direct Energy Company a scam? Didn't hear good things about it, parents always complained. Seems like Enbridge is the way to go. I remember looking over the stock ENB-T with my coop student in early 2015, it just kept marching upwards with like 5-7% dividends and 0 beta. Looks like they took a hit in the past few years, so it was too good to be true.
I'm in BC where there are currently 6 authorized gas resellers through Fortis BC (formerly Terasen, formerly BC Gas). Direct Energy is one of them. I can't remember if it was them that came by door-to-door but definitely shady business practices. Things like having a stickers and logos on their clipboards from Terasen or BC Gas implying affiliation or endorsement (contractually forbidden) and the usual high-pressure sales tactics. Problem was they hired independent contract salespeople - where there were alleged cases of forged client signatures.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1047 posts
740 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
Unfortunately there is a "cross over" where I live.... they do not charge delivery fees, etc, for Electricity in my area, but they do have a much higher cost per KwH and do not allow off peak billing at all! So if you use less electricity by staying with gas, the electric bills are astronomically lower here than in the rest of ontario, but if you cross over the line it will be astronomically higher than in the rest of Ontario. The reason for this, is we are on Hydro Québec, not with the rest of Ontario.... but it ends up being cheaper for electric when you use little, but catastrophically more expensive when you use a lot....since the per kwh rates exceed 17c or so now (which is far higher than Ottawa's 7-15c depending on peak/offpeak). When the rates were lower and I first moved here, my electric bills were $400/mo with heat.... Today they would be $800 a month if I was still on electric heat. I have a tiny (and I mean very tiny very efficient/retrofitted or whatever home)... Not everyone get's a choice like that. I current pay about $80/mo for electricity and so far up to $150 for gas in winter (but I haven't received the January bill yet).... it is still much much cheaper for me to be on gas, even if it tripled....because the electric rates here are calculated so differently. For most of Ontario you have peak and offpeak, and you have kind of like a bill that escalates gradually as usage increases....but like I said, because there are no actual fees they charge much higher per KwH and it's like a direct 45 degree angle how high they go here. The calculation is so different, so it never makes sense for a single home in my city to be on Electric. No subsidy, no discount, no OESP, no possible way anyone should ever be on electric for heat here. We get a break when it's low and we get even more punished when it's high. And they don't even allow you to do hybrid solar (where you feed the grid in summer and draw in winter) around here (I tried)...Which is common in many parts of the province.
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Plan: 100GB UL QC plan $65 ($75 after 2yr)
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4% (Restaurants)/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% (Grocery) BMO CB MC (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins