• Jan 29th, 2023 1:44 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2418 posts
364 upvotes
My last gas bill was $196.51 - December 20, 2022 for 275m3 of gas
Last year it was $$112.30 - December 2021 for 221m3 of gas

from December 16, 2021-January 20, 2022 I used 389m3 of gas but my bill was only $184

After seeing my gas bill last month I started turning off my heat during the day. I'm with Enbridge in a SFH.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1088 posts
1535 upvotes
Toronto
Wilmega wrote: My last gas bill was $196.51 - December 20, 2022 for 275m3 of gas
Last year it was $$112.30 - December 2021 for 221m3 of gas

from December 16, 2021-January 20, 2022 I used 389m3 of gas but my bill was only $184

After seeing my gas bill last month I started turning off my heat during the day. I'm with Enbridge in a SFH.
You will own nothing. Eat bug. Be Cold. And be happy.
xaveryptak wrote: Natural gas price going down but probably no chance to see relief from Enbridge: https://www.eia.gov/naturalgas/weekly/
So what's the deal with enbridge rates to consumer. I'm assuming the reason we are all getting hosed while spot market price is bottoming out is because enbridge is paying their "hedged" rates from summer?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6443 posts
6982 upvotes
Toronto
kthxbye wrote: So what's the deal with enbridge rates to consumer. I'm assuming the reason we are all getting hosed while spot market price is bottoming out is because enbridge is paying their "hedged" rates from summer?
Enbridge does not take a profit or loss from the delta. The rates are re-adjusted every 6 (4?) months with the intent that it averages out. Sometimes the set rate will be over spot, sometimes it is under. Repayments credits have happened at times (years ago, when the gas charge rates were falling a lot.)

It cannot be precise at the individual level since the individual usage data is measured only once every 2+ months and the spot market changes minute to minute.

So the current system is about as accurate a "zero sum game" as can be when measured at the aggregate.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4916 posts
2537 upvotes
Parry Sound
People who believe gas has gone up solely because of "the war" probably also believe grocery prices are up because of "inflation" and not corporate greed.

We are all being cheated by dirty, corrupt politicians and corporate dirtbags. And we have no one to blame but ourselves for continuing to elect these people into positions of power without any knowledge of politics, economics, or the party's platform and policies. Most voters are simple one issue voters manipulated by the media anyway.

Our current "democracy" is flawed and has failed us countless times. Every voter should have to take a basic test to see if they actually understand what each party stands for, and those for fail shouldn't get a vote. We'd be a lot better off.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Apr 7, 2017
447 posts
325 upvotes
Brantford
I checked my bill for this January and compared it to last year January and noticed this change
Gas supply charge Jan 23- 32.38 c/m3
Gas supply charge Jan 22- 18.05 c/m3
So now the gas prices are up by 180%, rest customer charge, federal carbon change and delivery did not change significantly.
Cost Jan 2023- 188$/ gas used 274m3
Cost Jan 2022- 129$/ gas used 293m3
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
3967 posts
3268 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
MayorOfToronto wrote: People who believe gas has gone up solely because of "the war" probably also believe grocery prices are up because of "inflation" and not corporate greed.

We are all being cheated by dirty, corrupt politicians and corporate dirtbags. And we have no one to blame but ourselves for continuing to elect these people into positions of power without any knowledge of politics, economics, or the party's platform and policies. Most voters are simple one issue voters manipulated by the media anyway.

Our current "democracy" is flawed and has failed us countless times. Every voter should have to take a basic test to see if they actually understand what each party stands for, and those for fail shouldn't get a vote. We'd be a lot better off.
This was the voter sentiment in the 2021 election. This kinda checks out in a way, our government structure makes sense. The populous provinces subordinated their economic interests to the climate initiative. Housing affordability is the bottom of the top 5 in Ontario which I find ghastly. BC placed it at number 3. The Prairies manifested more economic concerns, and the rest, healthcare. It doesn't seem government honesty and transparency is really a priority amongst the most populous provinces (excluding Prairies) which kinda makes sense. Unfortunately, people voted to increase taxes to reduce fossil fuel use without alternative viable energy solutions.

Source (and more data): https://angusreid.org/federal-election-top-issues/

On the other hand, I do appreciate the legalization of weed to help those who are discontent (nor my drug of choice to be honest), and MAID for those that find life unbearable (I say this with seriousness as someone who worked in the (mental)health/hospital sector).

I think next election will be different due to the economic malaise and economic dissatisfaction our country is about to go through...Just looking at that chart, I would say none of the items had good delivery (many, if not most, egregiously botched) except maybe COVID-19 handling pre-vaccines (in death reductions - we were second only to Japan), but that had a tremendous costs...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
8001 posts
4883 upvotes
West GTEH!
JamesW84831 wrote: Moving into our first/new home in March. Heat is from gas, and have gas lines being installed for bbq (not that we'll use it we have a Traeger, this is for resale value), stove, laundry, heater in garage. I'm guessing i am in for an eye popping bill? Only saving grace I can see occuring is we both don't mind rooms to be a bit cooler on average, I hate being too warm especially when I sleep.

Edit: This is in small town southern Ontario.
If you're with Enbridge Gas, get ready for the "guess-Estimate" bills.
Since you'll be a new customer, Enbridge doesn't have historical data for your gas usage. Hence the "guess-estimate" bills for 12 months.
😎
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4916 posts
2537 upvotes
Parry Sound
Best to just do month to month. You will never beat the gas company. If they charged you less this year, they'll just up it next year.

Month to month gives you exact figures. No nonsense.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8856 posts
5122 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Latest bill over $300.

Just gas for heat and hwt.
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Sep 15, 2017
876 posts
1063 upvotes
FarmerHarv wrote: SaskEnergy sent the following breakdown on our bill, 1000 M3 consumption:

Gas Delivery Service:
$24.50 Basic Monthly Charge
$109.60 Delivery Charge
$6.71 GST

Gas Supply Cost:
$166.79 Gas Supplied by SaskEnergy
$8.34 GST

Federal Carbon Tax:
$97.54 Federal Carbon Charge
$4.88 GST

So almost $120 in taxes on a $420 bill. Good times alright.
I had a very similar bill for 920 m3 used. $402. Makes me really think about replacing this old furnace but she just keeps truckin.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2440 posts
3209 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: People who believe gas has gone up solely because of "the war" probably also believe grocery prices are up because of "inflation" and not corporate greed.

YAWN ... democracy is messy get used to it. The problem could just as easily be cast as people DO understand what a party stands for and that is why raving looney conspiracy theorists get elected.
Sep 18, 2017
91 posts
105 upvotes
I have a newly built house (rural on over 100 acres). Three ways to heat the house, air source heat pump (incredibly efficient, can provide 100% our heating needs in spring and fall but once it gets below 0 the efficiency drops progressively and then a propane forced air system takes over automatically when the heat pump no longer meets demand or when its below -10c which is the setting to fully switch over). We also put in radiant hot water floor heating in the entire lower floor but so far find we don't need it because this house is so well insulated (spray foam) and good windows so the basement is never cold. I also set the furnace fan to run 24/7 which helps balance out the house temps. New tech smart HRV is keeping our humidity at the perfect level (it adjusts itself based on actual outside temperature vs indoor humidity and also is bringing fresh air into the house at least 12 hours of every 24).

Propane here and just had a fill of my two tanks this week (one large 500 gallon tank for the house and a small 420lb tank for my shop).

$937.60 total cost and both tanks were about 50% full when the truck came. 1,021 liters @ $0.686/liter plus delivery fees, taxes, etc. That price is actually not bad, last winter I paid as much as $0.9299/liter in February 2022 at my old house.

So electricity costs for heat pump are very low (smart thermostat that tracks it says it cost $67.90 on heat pump heating in the month of December based on usage and actually rates charged by Hydro One). I'm spending around $15/day on propane for balance of heating a large house (7,000 sf heated, not including very large garage which can be heated with radiant heat in floor), hot water, gas range in kitchen and occasional heating of a 60'x40' shop building (I keep it above freezing at all times but only heat it to warmer temps when I am using it).

Seems reasonable to me. Electricity so far from Hydro One not horrible. $265.16 in December for 1,780 kw of use. Again large house, hot tub, big separate shop building and air source heat pump.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4916 posts
2537 upvotes
Parry Sound
robsaw wrote: YAWN ... democracy is messy get used to it. The problem could just as easily be cast as people DO understand what a party stands for and that is why raving looney conspiracy theorists get elected.
No, I will not "get used to it" because I believe in improving it and progressing as a democratic society.

I've always advocated for electoral reform in the form of proportional representation. Some form of STV, IMO, would work best for this country.

However, that doesn't eliminate the MAJOR issue of voter ignorance. What can be done about that? Either restrict voting rights to the politically ignorant, or force political education.

It's obvious who you voted for in the last few elections :) Remember when your buddy promised electoral reform back in 2015 and then immediately dropped the plan within the first year when he realized he wouldn't get his way? Lol.

Democracy fails because of failure politicians and ignorant voters who put them in positions of power.

Do better.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4091 posts
2107 upvotes
Niagara
Webhead wrote: If you're with Enbridge Gas, get ready for the "guess-Estimate" bills.
Since you'll be a new customer, Enbridge doesn't have historical data for your gas usage. Hence the "guess-estimate" bills for 12 months.
I've had some insane 'guess-estimate' bills this past year. And one a few months back where it showed an actual reading, but 1 digit was marked as an 8 instead of a 3 which resulted in a $2000+ bill. In fairness, every time they've been good about cancelling the bill, updating the correct meter value, and telling me to wait until the next month for the rectified bill.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2991 posts
1695 upvotes
Bettercallsoul wrote: I checked my bill for this January and compared it to last year January and noticed this change
Gas supply charge Jan 23- 32.38 c/m3
Gas supply charge Jan 22- 18.05 c/m3
So now the gas prices are up by 180%, rest customer charge, federal carbon change and delivery did not change significantly.
Cost Jan 2023- 188$/ gas used 274m3
Cost Jan 2022- 129$/ gas used 293m3
Historical rates (for Ontario consumers) can be found on the OEB website at https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-information ... -gas-rates

Gas rates recently hit summer 2008 rates (and have subsequently dropped a little), though actual bill cost will be higher now due to the additional carbon tax. I still remember door-to-door sales guys coming around in 2008 trying to get me to lock into 5 year @ 40c/m3 rates. I knew that was a bad deal back then, but didn't realize quite how bad!

I don't believe that Enbridge is allowed to make money off gas; they make their money from delivery charges and customer/meter charges.

I'm just happy we are having a relatively mild winter so usage is down quite a bit, somewhat offsetting the significantly higher prices.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7644 posts
6809 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: Gas rates have more than doubled in the last year.

I noticed that our Dec's bill that 40% of the bill was the actual gas supply charge. The rest was all the additional charges.

Get ready. April 1st Carbon tax increases again.
xaveryptak wrote: Natural gas price going down but probably no chance to see relief from Enbridge: https://www.eia.gov/naturalgas/weekly/
Natural gas prices were reduced as of Jan 1, 2023 actually

https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-information ... -gas-rates
Last edited by StatsGuy on Jan 23rd, 2023 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7644 posts
6809 upvotes
My gas bill was less than $75 based on actual reading for month ending Dec 28.

2500sqft detached in Markham, natural gas furnace and tankless hwt

Gas even in winter is my cheapest utility out of hydro/water/gas lol

Dec 28 2022 bill - 79m3 used and $73.90.
Dec 29 2021 - 90m3 used and $60.85
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
3967 posts
3268 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
StatsGuy wrote: My gas bill was less than $75 based on actual reading for month ending Dec 28.

2500sqft detached in Markham, natural gas furnace and tankless hwt

Gas even in winter is my cheapest utility out of hydro/water/gas lol

Dec 28 2022 bill - 79m3 used and $73.90.
Dec 29 2021 - 90m3 used and $60.85
Good tip is just to bundle up at home...You can always put more clothes on when you're cold, but there are limits to what you can take off (which is why I love AC). We'll probably have a thread soon about exorbitant electricity prices and brownouts soon.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7644 posts
6809 upvotes

no party can control commodity prices...it's as absurd as those people who think Biden or JT has a dial in their office that controls the price of a GLOBALLY traded commodity

here's gas prices for last year you can see the spike (be thankful it's lower now already back to basically before the war and most of your heating wasn't during peak around May - Sept)

regardless who's in power ...there's nothing they can do to influence price in any meaningful way short of gov't subsidizing the prices which really doesn't happen in developed democratic mostly free market countries
natural gas prices.jpg