Gas bill - WHOA

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 2:35 pm
Tags:
Aug 3, 2012
459 posts
314 upvotes
AURORA
jeff1970 wrote: They are more efficient except in the coldest of climates (like Winnipeg...). That said, their extra cost, how long is the break-even point? From what I understand, by the the of the break-even point, you need a new unit.
"Residential Air Source Heat Pump vs Geothermal vs Nat Gas operating costs (propane and oil too):"

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/residen ... oo-2591972
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1062 posts
1710 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
jmc111 wrote: Received my enbridge bill for the last 30+ days. This is the biggest bill I have ever received and I only used approx. 250 cubic meters. And I have set my house temp to 19.5 degrees. Once the cold temps hit in the next month, I am sure it will go even higher. 45%+ hike in the bill compared to same time last year. Use less, pay more. Lovely.
I don't know how people can do that. Ours is set to 23-24 degrees. I'd freeze if it was set to 19.5. I'm expecting to see a $400-$500 bill in the mail based on what I am seeing from my rentals.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7719 posts
6907 upvotes
homeowner72 wrote: FYI: European Union is doing it for 2023: https://www.wsj.com/articles/european-e ... 1671446075
You mean this? Lol... already say it won't work and it'll just mean no gas . It's like Cuba or w/e limiting prices of goods regardless of actual price..just ends up with shortages
Prices must also be at least €35 higher than a reference level for global liquefied natural gas during the same period.

Traders say the cap risks creating distortions rather than actually limiting prices. They say it could create a situation in which gas costs the maximum allowed in the futures market but participants flock to a private, off-exchange market in which prices are much higher.

Implementing a cap could be messy, according to traders, exchange operators and central-bank officials.

The European Central Bank said on Dec. 2 that the measures designed to moderate extreme price levels and volatility could, in principle, reduce financial risks stemming from the energy market. But the bank added that the €275 cap proposal earlier put forward by the commission could jeopardize financial stability in the eurozone, in part by encouraging traders to move from exchanges to bilateral deals.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7719 posts
6907 upvotes
Worriedone wrote: I don't know how people can do that. Ours is set to 23-24 degrees. I'd freeze if it was set to 19.5. I'm expecting to see a $400-$500 bill in the mail based on what I am seeing from my rentals.
Holy crap! 23 or 24? Lol I complain when it's at like 19 inside and too hot and open the windows lol

Even in summer, hottest I let it get is 24 and only when I'm not home lol

You must save a lot in electricity in the summer then at least?
Apr 26, 2022
143 posts
134 upvotes
I just went over our power/gas/property taxes from 2022 in Regina. 1950's era bungalow at around 1100 ft2, two adults and one teenager

SaskPower - $1183.00
SaskEnergy - $1370.00
Regina Water/Sewer - $1620
Property Taxes - $2890.00

It costs $7062 to live in this house per year minus any upkeep of course. With my wife and I equally splitting it the cost is ridiculously low. Cheaper than renting an apartment
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11406 posts
2347 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Holy crap! 23 or 24? Lol I complain when it's at like 19 inside and too hot and open the windows lol

We keep our home at 22.5 in winter and 24 in summer I think.

When I lived alone I somehow had my home at 17 in winter, I dont know how I did it lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21614 upvotes
Vancouver
Worriedone wrote: I don't know how people can do that. Ours is set to 23-24 degrees. I'd freeze if it was set to 19.5. I'm expecting to see a $400-$500 bill in the mail based on what I am seeing from my rentals.
Well there's your problem.
Apr 26, 2022
143 posts
134 upvotes
We keep things at around 19C here - I couldn't sleep at those 23/24C temps.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1062 posts
1710 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
Kiraly wrote: Well there's your problem.
I'd rather be warm then freeze and be uncomfortable.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1062 posts
1710 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
StatsGuy wrote: Holy crap! 23 or 24? Lol I complain when it's at like 19 inside and too hot and open the windows lol

I wish, lol. We have a pool and a heater for the pool. My wife likes the pool to almost be like a hot tub. Our gas bill in the summer is about $350 due to the pool and our hydro bill is about $250-$275 for the same reason. I can only imagine what our gas bill will be in the summer.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21614 upvotes
Vancouver
Worriedone wrote: I'd rather be warm then freeze and be uncomfortable.
Understood. You’re gonna have to pay for that of course, as you are finding out. We wear sweaters or fleece tops indoors all winter long. Works as well for us as cranking the heat up and it’s a lot cheaper. Our winter thermostat settings:
In occupied rooms during the day: 20.5
Overnight where we sleep: 18
Unused rooms: 15
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4974 posts
2608 upvotes
Parry Sound
Worriedone wrote: I'd rather be warm then freeze and be uncomfortable.
Reading these comments is crazy. How are these people comfortable with 19 degrees?

They must be wearing multiple layers just to stay warm indoors lol

If trading some comfort for financial savings is worth it for them then who am I to judge?

But I'll enjoy my warm and cozy 23-24 degrees.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Apr 26, 2022
143 posts
134 upvotes
My wife's feet are somewhere just above absolute zero so 19C feels warm.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11406 posts
2347 upvotes
I dont mind colder temps as you can wear layers but my nose just feels cold even indoors at lower temps
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2777 posts
2876 upvotes
Anything about room temperature (22 degrees) gives me a headache. Especially at work when other employees start playing with thermostat and push it up. I end up saying "I am outta here" and go home to work. 19.5 - 20 degrees is what I set and it works great. All depends on how large your space is as well and how many windows/doors that are exposed to the elements.
Mar 11, 2008
247 posts
481 upvotes
It's also a function of how drafty your house is. Before I did any air sealing work on my house, even 21º or 22º on the thermostat felt a bit chilly at times. But once I sealed up the gaps, even 20º is comfortable because there aren't really drafts and the temperature variation from room to room is almost nothing.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4219 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
jmc111 wrote: Anything about room temperature (22 degrees) gives me a headache. Especially at work when other employees start playing with thermostat and push it up. I end up saying "I am outta here" and go home to work. 19.5 - 20 degrees is what I set and it works great. All depends on how large your space is as well and how many windows/doors that are exposed to the elements.
The thing is, there's a limit to how much clothing you can take off at work without being fired for indecency. But, people can always put on more clothing without consequence. I say keep it lower. Corporate might love the cost savings as well. Plus, it starts to stink more in the office once the temp goes up.
Mar 28, 2008
605 posts
562 upvotes
In winter the sweet spot is 22°c, and by controlling the smart thermostat not to kick the heat on till 20.5°c, the furnace won't start/stop as frequently as the traditional thermostat (Usually 0.5°c temp difference will kick the heat on for those traditional thermostats). Also smart thermostat with the use of 2 stage furnace will effectively use low & high heat so most of the time can be quiet with 1st-stage heating. (Required advanced setup)

During the summer, 24.5°c with a fan is great, the key is to control the humidity indoor will substantially change "feel like" temperature. If you reside in a humid area, a 2-stage A/C will be great to give you better humidity control indoor.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4974 posts
2608 upvotes
Parry Sound
opendoor wrote: It's also a function of how drafty your house is. Before I did any air sealing work on my house, even 21º or 22º on the thermostat felt a bit chilly at times. But once I sealed up the gaps, even 20º is comfortable because there aren't really drafts and the temperature variation from room to room is almost nothing.
What trustworthy company does this? Any recommendations? I have a ton of weak spots in my house and I'm sure I'm losing a ton of money because of it.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.