Tags:
[OP]
Feb 10, 2021
189 posts
126 upvotes
GTA

Gas Fireplace Cost?

Hi All!

Preface: Wife and I recently purchased a brand new home with a builder and are weighing our options in re: to adding a fireplace in our family/great room. We were originally looking for this upgrade through the builder but unfortunately this fireplace only comes in square and the linear style we’re after is extremely expensive via them (whats new). Furthermore, we dont like the suggested location for the fireplace.

I’m hopeful someone could supply me with an estimation on what it would cost to put a fireplace in after occupancy? I’ve attached the floor plan for your review.

Summary of ask:

-provide linear fireplace + all applicable venting required (Size: 3-5 ft wide seem sufficient?)
-installation
-run a gas line (basement is unfinished)
-finish fireplace surround in drywall and/or cement board (we’re unsure of what kind of tile or stone we’d like to finish it with therefore as long as there is a structure I can finish the rest myself).

Thanks!
Images
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 12.31.30 AM.png
29 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3523 posts
2518 upvotes
Toronto
Why not just call a company and get quotes?

$5-$10K.

Can you vent out the wall the fireplace would back onto? How close are those windows and do they operate? How close is the property line to the wall the fireplace is on? What is the construction of that wall? How long is the gas line in the basement going to be? Blah blah blah.... loads of variables.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1414 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
torontotim wrote: Why not just call a company and get quotes?

$5-$10K.

Can you vent out the wall the fireplace would back onto? How close are those windows and do they operate? How close is the property line to the wall the fireplace is on? What is the construction of that wall? How long is the gas line in the basement going to be? Blah blah blah.... loads of variables.
All of this. The cheapest gas fireplaces probably start around $2500 installed. For linear I'm sure you're starting at closer to $5k for just the fireplace. Gas line in an unfinished basement shouldn't be too big a deal, but may be a longer run depending on where it is.

Then for paying for the demo, prep, framing, etc, basically just need to see if the installers will do that or if you have to hire it out. Also, if you're fine with tiling, then surely you should be able to frame a box and screw some sheets of drywall to it?
[OP]
Feb 10, 2021
189 posts
126 upvotes
GTA
torontotim wrote: Why not just call a company and get quotes?

$5-$10K.

I have reached out however im not hearing back from them in a timely fashion and I have my framing appointment coming up beginning of next week. Covering all my bases incase.

Yes- the wall that it would be going on is the side of the home. Between our home and the next home is ~13-15 ft based on our lot. Both windows are operable. My property line is ~7-7.5 feet from the outside wall. Gas line would be I would estimate no more than 20 ft from the utilities area in the basement.

Thanks.
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: All of this. The cheapest gas fireplaces probably start around $2500 installed. For linear I'm sure you're starting at closer to $5k for just the fireplace. Gas line in an unfinished basement shouldn't be too big a deal, but may be a longer run depending on where it is.

Then for paying for the demo, prep, framing, etc, basically just need to see if the installers will do that or if you have to hire it out. Also, if you're fine with tiling, then surely you should be able to frame a box and screw some sheets of drywall to it?
Thanks! Absolutely comfortable with that. I actually tore down the builder grade fireplace surround in our previous home and did a custom surround: built structure, cement board, tile; the works. My assumption was that most reputable installers would not leave the fireplace without some sort of structure surely?
torontotim wrote: You'll need electrical too.
Good point- thanks!
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2797 posts
1161 upvotes
Mississauga
You sure you want the fireplace there.. That seems like an ideal TV location.. Please dont say your putting your TV over the fireplace !!.

Anyway.. we also removed our fireplace and will be installing a new one in our living room.. The one we picked I think is around $4K installed.. but we have to make the 2x4 frame structure and they will just come and do the gas hookup and cut out the vent in the brick.. is your new house brick..? Then I will drywall and get some of those new large format porcelain tile for the surround and get an off cut of Quartz for the top.

Not sure why you need Electrical ? if its a Gas fireplace.. Unless you pick one with a blower. Ours is not..
Last edited by TLSRULZ on May 27th, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2021
189 posts
126 upvotes
GTA
TLSRULZ wrote: You sure you want the fireplace there.. That seems like an ideal TV location.. Please dont say your putting your TV over the fireplace !!.

Anyway.. we also removed our fireplace and will be installing a new one in our living room.. The one we picked I think is around $4K installed.. but we have to make the 2x4 frame structure and they will just come and do the gas hookup and cut out the vent in the brick.. is your new house brick..? Then I will drywall and get some of those new large format porcelain tile for the surround and get an off cut of Quartz for the top.

Not sure why you need Electrical ? if its a Gas fireplace.. Unless you pick one with a blower. Ours is not..
We were planning on putting the tv over the fireplace- yes! Is that not a good idea? I personally like the symmetry of the fireplace on that wall. The fireplace between the windows takes up a tonne of space and is less than ideal for furniture placement.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2797 posts
1161 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm a HT guy so I'm smh at your first sentence.. correct TV height is for the middle of the screen to be 44" from the ground. If you must do it.. at least get a mantel mount so you can pull the screen down for watching.. but note that at that position it will block the fireplace... so may not be able to have a fire going and watch tv.

The reason we took out the fireplace in our family room.. was we could not get a 65 TV and couches in a good layout for the HT... and it was an old wood burning which dated the room. This Black Friday an 83" will be replacing the 65.. wife agreed that fureplace did not fit but also did up the living room with a 18th century decorative unit we plan to get.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6880 posts
2445 upvotes
GTA
ollywood wrote: Gas line would be I would estimate no more than 20 ft from the utilities area in the basement
The gas line feeding utilities area might be sized to supply hot water heater/furnace but not have enough capacity to also feed a 40,000 btu fireplace. The builder might be willing to rough in the gas to your preferred fireplace location.
Contact a gas fitter about your plans, try @newlyborn
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10626 posts
5916 upvotes
Paris
ollywood wrote: Thanks! Absolutely comfortable with that. I actually tore down the builder grade fireplace surround in our previous home and did a custom surround: built structure, cement board, tile; the works. My assumption was that most reputable installers would not leave the fireplace without some sort of structure surely?
I’m sure they will leave you with SOMETHING but like all things the fancier the more money. My parents did a full oak surround in their place in 2002 and it cost a fortune. My brother added 2 fireplaces to his place and had them installed with no surround on purpose so he could build something nicer than he was going to be charged for.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1414 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: I’m sure they will leave you with SOMETHING but like all things the fancier the more money. My parents did a full oak surround in their place in 2002 and it cost a fortune. My brother added 2 fireplaces to his place and had them installed with no surround on purpose so he could build something nicer than he was going to be charged for.
When I got my fireplace installed, all they did was the fireplace. Made sure everything was coordinated for the mantle (i.e the fireplace was at the right height, etc), and they installed it and just left it sitting there in the opening. Then we got a cast stone mantle and they did all the framing, drywall, etc, required for that.
Apr 10, 2019
437 posts
870 upvotes
Ottawa
Will the new location meet the venting setbacks? If they install your AC or any venting there you're pretty much f'ed. You can't have any venting 3' from your gas meter, even more from your HRV intake, furnace vent etc... Those 2 have their own clearances from each other. I have a feeling they put it back there because everything else is coming out the side wall and they don't want to have to deal with an extra clearance.

Furthermore when the contractor requests service from Enbridge (or your gas company) they want to know the BTU of every single appliance that will be using gas to size their lines properly...they want to know number of fireplaces, if there's a stove or dryer, BTU of HWT, BTU of furnace, BBQ outlet, pool heater.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1308 posts
414 upvotes
Vaughan
We had a similar issue with our current builder were we didn't like the location of the fireplace. We moved it similar to yours from one wall to the adjacent wall and they charged us $1,382 plus taxes.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3375 posts
3358 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
FYI replacing our gas fireplace this summer because the old one is not worth fixing and can't get parts anymore.. The price for the fireplace alone is like $1500 - $5000++. Skys the limit really depending how fancy you want to get. They said if I wanted to add a new one add $500-$1000 to running gas and electrical, probably more if you need framing/venting.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2021
189 posts
126 upvotes
GTA
Ecsta wrote: FYI replacing our gas fireplace this summer because the old one is not worth fixing and can't get parts anymore.. The price for the fireplace alone is like $1500 - $5000++. Skys the limit really depending how fancy you want to get. They said if I wanted to add a new one add $500-$1000 to running gas and electrical, probably more if you need framing/venting.
Thanks sir.

Little update for the group here: Received a quote from a reputable contractor (Finally). Breakdown was as follows:

$6000 - Fireplace unit (48" wide, linear style), Gas line, Venting and installation
$1500 - Fireplace structure and wall (108" tall x 6 feet wide) (Rough finish with Cement board).

Builder wants $5000 but again, not crazy about the location and how it intrudes on the view of the window from the kitchen area. See attached image for what I mean. This is the exact model and layout of the home we purchased. Am I overthinking it?

Edit: I will also not be going with that massive fireplace surround from the builder but the wall will be present. I will be doing custom tile work up the entirety of the wall with a mantel on its own above the fireplace.
Images
  • 93e1f1da-5b04-45a7-83e5-f04a500050de.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3375 posts
3358 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ollywood wrote: Thanks sir.

Little update for the group here: Received a quote from a reputable contractor (Finally). Breakdown was as follows:

$6000 - Fireplace unit (48" wide, linear style), Gas line, Venting and installation
$1500 - Fireplace structure and wall (108" tall x 6 feet wide) (Rough finish with Cement board).

Builder wants $5000 but again, not crazy about the location and how it intrudes on the view of the window from the kitchen area. See attached image for what I mean. This is the exact model and layout of the home we purchased. Am I overthinking it?

Edit: I will also not be going with that massive fireplace surround from the builder but the wall will be present. I will be doing custom tile work up the entirety of the wall with a mantel on its own above the fireplace.
Honestly depends how you want to lay out the room. You could try asking the builder if they will put the fireplace in a different place? Less hassle than having them rip up your brand new wall haha, but might be worth paying a bit more to get exactly what you want.
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
As it is, you are better off with a L - shape sectional . To do it the way you want would block off the room no matter how small of a couch you put there.