• Aug 13th, 2020 9:09 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA

Gas Fireplace Replacement

Tried Searching, didn't really find an old thread on this.

Anyways, just looking for replace a direct vent fireplace which is at the end of its life.

Was wondering if people had any brand recommendations or company recommendations in the GTA?

I've heard good things about Valor and Napoleon.

Thanks for your help!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3791 posts
2330 upvotes
Woodbridge
Majestic is also very popular besides Napolean and Valor
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Tried Searching, didn't really find an old thread on this.

Anyways, just looking for replace a direct vent fireplace which is at the end of its life.

Was wondering if people had any brand recommendations or company recommendations in the GTA?

I've heard good things about Valor and Napoleon.

Thanks for your help!
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4622 posts
4064 upvotes
Toronto
I found the folks at Marsh's to be very helpful when we were shopping for a Jotul freestanding propane stove. We bought from another company out where the cottage is, but the people at Marsh's still took the time to show us the stoves etc.

https://www.marshsfireplaces.com/
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1091 posts
476 upvotes
brand will depend on your budget but Napolean/Continental are the same but there are lots of other companies

Erindale Fireplace in Oakville
National Fireplace in Etobicoke
Tradeia in Vaughan/Woodbridge - they do not install though
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
Thanks everyone for the replies.
torontotim wrote: I found the folks at Marsh's to be very helpful when we were shopping for a Jotul freestanding propane stove. We bought from another company out where the cottage is, but the people at Marsh's still took the time to show us the stoves etc.

https://www.marshsfireplaces.com/
Thanks for this one, it looks great and it was completely off my radar.

I think I'm leaning towards Napoleon.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for marshs

I was looking at napolean and went for valor. The unit I got was way nicer with more features for a better price. I can't recall the model....

Edit, my complete bad, I got the napolean, lol!!!!! I didn't want to edit my OP.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3791 posts
2330 upvotes
Woodbridge
(Slightly off topic) Recently the fireplaces have become more attractive aesthetically however very impractical from service point of view. One must consider a fireplace with enough space underneath the burners for future service in case of breakdown.
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think after a good deal of shopping around, we're probably going to go with the Marquis Bentley. There were a number a reasons for this. We found we liked the flames on this model the most, the embers looked better than the napolean and its a bit cheaper to boot.
newlyborn wrote: (Slightly off topic) Recently the fireplaces have become more attractive aesthetically however very impractical from service point of view. One must consider a fireplace with enough space underneath the burners for future service in case of breakdown.
Interesting enough, although a lot of the models don't have that giant grate at the bottom anymore to allow for ease of servicing. There is a much lower profile panel in a lot of them that can be easily removed and provide access. Its interesting because at first look you wouldn't think the access was there, but then they take the screen off, and the bottom panel, there is definitely enough space there to get into. This is just based on like 1 or 2 models I got the panel removed of, not sure if its the same case across the board.
Jun 6, 2007
105 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Not wanting to hijack the thread (thanks to OP for starting it), just wondering about stand-alone kinda classic gas fireplaces. We have a little corner raised brick platform that once upon a time (50 years ago) had a wood stove. Just wondering if any recommendations for stand-alone gas fireplaces.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7135 upvotes
Paris
stannum wrote: Not wanting to hijack the thread (thanks to OP for starting it), just wondering about stand-alone kinda classic gas fireplaces. We have a little corner raised brick platform that once upon a time (50 years ago) had a wood stove. Just wondering if any recommendations for stand-alone gas fireplaces.
We have 2 stand alone Napoleon’s at the cottage. They were installed around 2007. Both have had service calls, but neither is used particularly a lot either. One is a backup in case other heating dies, and the other is ambiance for the living room/something my kids can turn on in the morning if its cold. We primarily heat to 15/16 with a furnace and top up with a wood stove that makes it summer in there.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1091 posts
476 upvotes
fyi...

Napolean B36 installed has the following prices (includes taxes)

Marsh - 5000
Erindale - 2200
National - 2100
Tradeia ~ 1900-2200 - depends on installer as you hire your own
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
iwells wrote: fyi...

Napolean B36 installed has the following prices (includes taxes)

Marsh - 5000
Erindale - 2200
National - 2100
Tradeia ~ 1900-2200 - depends on installer as you hire your own
Granted that fireplace model is smaller/less expensive than the ones I was getting quotes on, but I'm surprised how cheap the other ones are at around $2k. They were still a fair bit more for the model I got quotes on, I guess this is just a less expensive model? Does ~$2k include the fireplace, log sets, liner, remote, venting and installation?

The Marshes quotes I got were about $500 more for install, they had a $300 disposal fee on them which you could probably skip out, venting was maybe $150 more, logs/panel was about the same, fireplace was probably close to the same. So really for me, the Marshes quotes were at least $1,000 more (maybe $1500 with some of the fireplace models) for an apples to apples comparison. Seems odd that they would be $2800 more in these cases.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1091 posts
476 upvotes
Prices were for a Napolean B36 with standard log, no blower, no mantel, no remote, includes venting with new drilled hole, already had gas pipe present (saved a bit there) . Nice and simple FP with no frills. Prices for all were based on same spec.

Marshs and Ontario Heath (another co) are about $4500-5K with exact model and setup.

If you want frills with panels, rectangular style, then obviously cost goes up...

Breakdown was as follows:
The FP B36, $800-900, venting $280-350, thermostat $50-100, install $500-900, if u need snorkle $300 but Marsh charged $500 (go figure). Add taxes.

Marshs $2200 just for FP.

So...

SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Granted that fireplace model is smaller/less expensive than the ones I was getting quotes on, but I'm surprised how cheap the other ones are at around $2k. They were still a fair bit more for the model I got quotes on, I guess this is just a less expensive model? Does ~$2k include the fireplace, log sets, liner, remote, venting and installation?

The Marshes quotes I got were about $500 more for install, they had a $300 disposal fee on them which you could probably skip out, venting was maybe $150 more, logs/panel was about the same, fireplace was probably close to the same. So really for me, the Marshes quotes were at least $1,000 more (maybe $1500 with some of the fireplace models) for an apples to apples comparison. Seems odd that they would be $2800 more in these cases.