Gas fireplace strange sound

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 4:12 pm
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
167 posts
30 upvotes

Gas fireplace strange sound

Hoping a fireplace or HVAC expert can shed some light on a weird sound coming from our bedroom fireplace. I’ve searched for an answer online without success.
To describe the sound I would say it is almost exactly the same sound you would get if you took a stick and ran it up and down the face of a metal grill that covers a cold air return. It’s a rasping sound. Like a stick going up and down a metal grill. And loud!

The fireplace pilot light is off. The sound only happens in the morning (anywhere between 6am and 8am) - no sound during the day or evening. When it happens, I put my hand on the metal vent pipes and I can feel a strong vibration running through it when the sound occurs.

I’ve been outside a few times when it happens and one can hear it outside very loud. Sound seems to vibrate through the soffit. It’s definitely not a wind issue because it happens on calm days without any breeze blowing.

I’m usually a good problem solver but I am stumped on this one. Any ideas?

House is about 10 years old.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1183 posts
2097 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Could be an animal in the exhaust pipe. (Chip monk, squirrel, bird)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed it's probably an animal. How is this vented? Exterior side wall or roof chimney? Is it capped and covered? I would not turn this fireplace on until you get the stack inspected. A birds nest is the last thing you need, most seasonal house fires are due to clogged stacks.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
167 posts
30 upvotes
It is vented to the roof. I agree that the only logical explanation is an animal.
Feb 28, 2018
179 posts
116 upvotes
Waterloo region
Julianq101 wrote: Hoping a fireplace or HVAC expert can shed some light on a weird sound coming from our bedroom fireplace. I’ve searched for an answer online without success.
To describe the sound I would say it is almost exactly the same sound you would get if you took a stick and ran it up and down the face of a metal grill that covers a cold air return. It’s a rasping sound. Like a stick going up and down a metal grill. And loud!

The fireplace pilot light is off. The sound only happens in the morning (anywhere between 6am and 8am) - no sound during the day or evening. When it happens, I put my hand on the metal vent pipes and I can feel a strong vibration running through it when the sound occurs.

I’ve been outside a few times when it happens and one can hear it outside very loud. Sound seems to vibrate through the soffit. It’s definitely not a wind issue because it happens on calm days without any breeze blowing.

I’m usually a good problem solver but I am stumped on this one. Any ideas?

House is about 10 years old.

Buzzing vibration... between 6 & 8, just after showers in the morning... gas water heater running ?. Could it be from the gas meter ? I’ve come across many regulators on the gas meter buzzing, only when gas is being used... it vibrates along the house piping and gas appliances..
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
167 posts
30 upvotes
tralexus1 wrote:

Buzzing vibration... between 6 & 8, just after showers in the morning... gas water heater running ?. Could it be from the gas meter ? I’ve come across many regulators on the gas meter buzzing, only when gas is being used... it vibrates along the house piping and gas appliances..
It also happens on the weekends when all of us are sleeping in and nobody has hit the showers yet.

It’s not really a vibrating sound - I can feel a vibration if I touch the vent stack but the sound is a rasping sound similar to running a stick up and down the metal grill of a cold air return cover. But the vent stack also has ridges on it so if an animal was climbing up or down then I think the nails could make that rasping sound. Vent stack is on the roof and is covered.

Only explanation I can come up with is that it’s an animal.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
167 posts
30 upvotes
Just to close the loop on this. It is a bird. When I heard the sound I went into the backyard to check out the roof. There was a black bird pecking away like a jack hammer at the roof vent cover. My guess is that the sun catches the metal early in the morning which gets the attention of that bird. It’s pecking away on the metal cover as fast as a wood pecker LOL. That seems to cause a rumbling sound down to the fireplace.

Doesn’t look like the bird is nesting in the stack.