• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 1:47 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2011
648 posts
667 upvotes
West GTA

Gas Fireplace Switch

I have a gas fireplace that I'd like to add functionality over a regular on/off toggle switch - IE: timer/remote control, etc. There is no power/neutral going to the switch, just the two low voltage wires.

Do I have any other options besides the spring wound in-wall timers (they aren't aesthetically pleasing).
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5035 upvotes
Paris
mickman wrote: I have a gas fireplace that I'd like to add functionality over a regular on/off toggle switch - IE: timer/remote control, etc. There is no power/neutral going to the switch, just the two low voltage wires.

Do I have any other options besides the spring wound in-wall timers (they aren't aesthetically pleasing).
The two low voltage wires are probably 24v AC and can be wired to any number of thermostats.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2011
648 posts
667 upvotes
West GTA
Jerico wrote: The two low voltage wires are probably 24v AC and can be wired to any number of thermostats.

I'm not really interested in a thermostat. I'd just like something that I can turn it on for an hour or switch it off from the couch.
Feb 28, 2018
149 posts
97 upvotes
Waterloo region
Jerico wrote: The two low voltage wires are probably 24v AC and can be wired to any number of thermostats.
[/quote

older fireplace ?.. more likely millivolts 750mv...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5035 upvotes
Paris
mickman wrote: I'm not really interested in a thermostat. I'd just like something that I can turn it on for an hour or switch it off from the couch.
They have remote control kits that are $150+. Probably some wifi ones now too. With a $50 thermostat you could easily up the temp for an hour and have it shut off, plus set it to 60 all the time as a furnace backup.
Feb 28, 2018
149 posts
97 upvotes
Waterloo region
ditto on the remote control... some remotes are also thermostatic ....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5035 upvotes
Paris
tralexus1 wrote: older fireplace ?.. more likely millivolts 750mv...
Good question, I have no idea what voltage mine are. Just that I have thermostats on them. Builder installed them with a standard light switch.