Tags:
None
[OP]
May 16, 2015
49 posts
7 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Gas Lawn Mower Vs Electric Lawn Mower

Looking to buy a new lawn mower. Not sure whether to get a gas one or battery powered one. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two. Also should I get a self propelled or regular? Any particular brand or model i should go for. My back yard is 60ft by 25 ft and front yard is 40ft by 35 ft. Recommendations are welcome.
Last edited by RSQUAREDK on May 1st, 2019 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1626 posts
974 upvotes
Gas

More power
Cheaper to buy (slightly)
More maintenance
Louder
Better cut (IMO)

Battery
Quieter
Less power
Worse cut
Electricity is probably cheaper then gas, but negligible
Less maintenance, but batteries usually only last a few years, you may have to toss the thing in a few years or buy an expensive battery pack

I am old school when it comes to this sort of thing, it's hard to match a gas engines power and ability to cut grass. I have a large property, so electric is out of the question. If I had a small city lot, electric might make sense. Just make sure you buy a reputable brand and check into the costs of replacing the battery pack.
Mar 22, 2017
443 posts
354 upvotes
Electric mowers are better in every way except for power and operating time. They're quieter, lower maintenance and lighter. If you have a smallish lawn without a lot of thick, dense grass that really challenges a mower, go electric.

If you want a mower that can power through anything and will run for hours, you want gas. It's annoying because you'll have to change the oil, buy and stabilize gas, it's loud and heavy, it pollutes, etc but it's powerful. Electric mowers are pretty weak.

For what it's worth you can likely do your yard in one charge with a decent electric mower. Don't bother with self-propelled unless you have a physical issue, since your yard isn't that big (if level).

Here's a great blog post that outlines some of the electric and gas issues. It highlights that you should only get electric if you don't need a mower with much power.

http://www.stevepake.com/life/2018/5/25 ... horsepower

Another note: I had a similar situation and I went gas, and I have no regrets. The power difference is huge, though it's a hassle to maintain.
Last edited by grumble on May 1st, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
In the past I would have agreed with the points made by @fusion2k2k, but I wonder if the more recent higher-power battery electric mowers close the gap on power and cutting performance. I don't know anyone who has made the switch, but I suspect I'll need to replace my gas mower soon. Any opinions?
Apr 8, 2010
624 posts
277 upvotes
toronto
one thing i hate about electric mowers is the extension cord.

one thing i hate about cordless is the battery if one forgets to charge.

I do like gas... most don't do any maintenance on it at all and they still run well. one thing to keep in mind if you're going the gas route, you'll need to get premium gas towards the end of the season due to ethanol and the mower sitting around for long periods (winter)
Dec 11, 2018
11 posts
4 upvotes
I have used battery powered Black and Decker mowers for the last 27 years during that time had only 3 units.

They do a great job of cutting and mulching with plenty of power they would continue to be my choice going forward.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1429 posts
344 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
I'm not a fan of using batteries to power high-draw devices like saws, vacuums, and lawn mowers. Typically, the batteries will need to be replaced before the rest of the unit is worn out or broken. When the time comes to replace those batteries, they can be hard to find, expensive, or both. But, if the manufacturer does make batteries available affordably for their older mowers, the reduced noise and pollution / smell are nice.

My current mower is a 6HP gas unit from, I don't know, probably about 15 years ago. The last several years, all I've done is sharpen the blade, top up the oil, and put gas in it. The wheels are wobbly, and the deck has a hole rusted through it, and it burns oil, but it still runs pretty well enough, and cuts my grass just fine. It's definitely getting tired, but the entire unit seems to be wearing out pretty evenly. It's powerful, and noisy. It's not self propelled, and I have no desire for the cost, weight, and complexity of that feature. My yard is flat, I don't bag the grass, and I'm done within 30 minutes.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
I agree with every @rkjredflag said - that's exactly my position. (BTW, did you apply for the recent class-action settlement on lawnmower engines?)

What we really need is for Ridgid to make a lawn mower with a lifetime service agreement on the batteries. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1839 posts
835 upvotes
, ON
I bought battery powered one last summer and returned it in the same season and exchanged it for gas powered. The cut quality is terrible for battery powdered 40v one. I didn’t regret the exchange.
Oct 2, 2018
37 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
With the size of your lawn i would go gas, battery power is an option for very small downtown core lots but not something with your lot dimensions. Add to it if you go on vacation for a week or two and you will not get through the mass of grass with a battery, only gas will do on those occasions.

I do not recommend a self propelled mover, no matter what kind of speed lever they set up they never seem to go the speed you walk. They mowers are usually so much heavier and to me was more of a pain to use that not. I got rid of my only self propelled mower after 3 years, couldn't take the pain of using it any longer. Guess it was worse for me due to having a hill in the back yard, so i paid more for the mower and got rid of it for a regular gas and been very happy since. It likely took me twice as long to use the self propelled model versus the regular model, and due to trying to turn it often to round tree's, bushes or obstacles if was tiring to use which is opposite what i originally thought in buying. A light, non self propelled mower is much cheaper and easier on the body to use.

I did purchase a Husqvanna gas mower on sale at Lowes with the HONDA engine as the time out i wanted a light lawnmower (non self propelled) and quiet which the Honda engine is definitely that. If you don't mind more noise then the Honda engine isn't any better really than any other one for the purpose, just so much quieter.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6024 posts
2603 upvotes
Paris
denti72 wrote:
May 1st, 2019 10:00 am
one thing i hate about electric mowers is the extension cord.

one thing i hate about cordless is the battery if one forgets to charge.
Most of the newer cordless mowers are dual power and can use an extension cord.

I would never go gas again for my 55x135’ lot. Quiet, no hassle starts. No small gas cans to mess with. WAY cheaper to operate.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1626 posts
974 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
May 1st, 2019 3:29 pm
Most of the newer cordless mowers are dual power and can use an extension cord.

I would never go gas again for my 55x135’ lot. Quiet, no hassle starts. No small gas cans to mess with. WAY cheaper to operate.
How do you figure it's WAY cheaper to operate? I spend around $30 a year to cut almost an acre of land with a lawn tractor. Granted you probably wouldn't notice the charging of an electric mower on your hydro bill, but $30 a year is not a lot of money.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2022 posts
1371 upvotes
SW Ontario
For years I swore by gas mowers, especially 2 stroke engine equipped ones. Now that all you can buy is 4 stoke engines on mowers now, the last 3 I haven't been impressed with including the last which was 6.25HP.
On a whim to be friendly over the fence one afternoon, I asked my new neighbour what he thought of his electric mower, and he replied that he wouldn't ever go back even though he has to deal with a cord.
Later that summer I had been watching the Lowes Kobalt mowers at $329 and I happened to catch a slip up on sales discounts and picked up 2 of their mowers for $99 each (I donated one to a charity auction).
While I have to deal with a power cord, it cuts with the power I remember with the old 2 strokes and beats any 6.25HP gas mower hands down.
I won't go back to gas now unless I had to buy a battery powered mower instead of a corded mower.

My lot is 68' x 142'
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6024 posts
2603 upvotes
Paris
fusion2k2k wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 10:13 am
How do you figure it's WAY cheaper to operate? I spend around $30 a year to cut almost an acre of land with a lawn tractor. Granted you probably wouldn't notice the charging of an electric mower on your hydro bill, but $30 a year is not a lot of money.
You clearly are not changing the oil, air filter, and spark plug on schedule then. Or factoring in the cost of a Jerry can (when mine split and made a mess that was the end of gas). Or your time to run to the gas station. Or your time spent trying to start an irritating gas engine vs pushing a button (particularly with string trimmers).

They are superior in every way. And we cut nearly an acre at the cottage with a rider, but many spots aren’t accessible. Went to cordless there too.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1626 posts
974 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 1:12 pm
You clearly are not changing the oil, air filter, and spark plug on schedule then. Or factoring in the cost of a Jerry can (when mine split and made a mess that was the end of gas). Or your time to run to the gas station. Or your time spent trying to start an irritating gas engine vs pushing a button (particularly with string trimmers).

They are superior in every way. And we cut nearly an acre at the cottage with a rider, but many spots aren’t accessible. Went to cordless there too.
Same could be argued with an electric, you still have to do the maintenance (albeit less). You also have to replace a battery every few years - if it's $200 battery that lasts 5 years, that's $40 a year. No issue going to the gas station once a year as I still need gas for snowblower, dirt bikes, lawnmowers, etc.

I wouldn't say they are superior in every way - let's see a battery powered mower get through 4-5" of thick grass after you have been on holidays for two weeks and it rained for those entire two weeks.

I think everyone needs to get what's best for them - electric is your choice and gas is mine. But the strange thing is that I think electric cars are superior to gas cars Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.