• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2022 12:32 pm
[OP]
Jul 5, 2021
8 posts
2 upvotes

Gas Leak - Price on new lines

Hey Everyone,

Looks like my old gas lines are old and rusted and the tech suggested just doing new gas lines. I'm hoping to find out if the quote I got is reasonable or if its high just cause I am in a desperate situation. Would like to know if I have some bargaining power.

New Line Details

- about 80 ft of pipe +10 ft of flex of line will be ran half in attic half out doors
- From gas meter up 8 ft to attic
- through the attic and out the other side of my house (easiest route to get to my stove)
- Halfway through my attic they want to do flex to the furnace (about 10 ft)
- about 8 elbows and 2 shut offs

Quote was $2100+ tax

Any thoughts, suggestions or information will be appreciated.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4735 posts
1633 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Doesn't sound unreasonable from a small number of posts I've seen regarding gas pipe installs?

Location?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10289 posts
10468 upvotes
Toronto
taht actually sounds pretty reasonable.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1436 posts
1120 upvotes
HAMILTON
How old is your house ?? Not too often you hear of gas pipes rusting out ..... Gas pipes in current home 25+ years old and previous home even older.

Did you see the rusty pipes ?

Can they not just replace the rusted out areas that pose a hazard ?? I would for sure think that rusty pipes would only be on the outside of the house.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3444 posts
1862 upvotes
Woodbridge
The most important detail that was left out from your question is what is the diameter of the gas pipe ? Was a load calculation done ? I will ASSUME that the installer is using atleast 1" of service line since you mentioned its 80 ft. Branches can be either 1/2" or 3/4" depending upon the appliance BTU.
A simple rust on gas line should not warrant to replace them unless it has deteriorated too much. Was it not painted ?
macinnij wrote: Hey Everyone,

Looks like my old gas lines are old and rusted and the tech suggested just doing new gas lines. I'm hoping to find out if the quote I got is reasonable or if its high just cause I am in a desperate situation. Would like to know if I have some bargaining power.

New Line Details

- about 80 ft of pipe +10 ft of flex of line will be ran half in attic half out doors
- through the attic and out the other side of my house (easiest route to get to my stove)

Quote was $2100+ tax

HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18693 posts
21366 upvotes
GTA
macinnij wrote: Hey Everyone,

New Line Details

Quote was $2100+ tax

How old is your house/pipes? Pics of the issues?
My house over 40 years old with no issues.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2021
8 posts
2 upvotes
The house is old, we don't know exactly how old but I'd guess 70+ years and has also had a lot of water damage/crawlspace issues. The crawlspace is inaccessible so without ripping up floors following the line I can't tell how far back the degradation goes. The pipes were clearly rusted and a soap test made it look like pinhole leaks all over so I don't have much doubt the tech is correct. We just bought the house and smelt the gas when we first started replacing some floor and opened up the crawlspace.

Pipe is going to be 3/4
1400 sq ft home for furnace, water heater is electric, stove is gas but also a hookup for a bbq is there.