Home & Garden

Gas line for firepit - switch back and and forth to use with the bbq?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2021 6:29 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2012
141 posts
65 upvotes
NEPEAN

Gas line for firepit - switch back and and forth to use with the bbq?

I have a gas line for firepit. I am thinking about getting a gas bbq to use.

Is it easy to unplug the gas line from the firepit and plug it in the bbq?

I use the bbq maybe 1 time per week so likely will switch back and forth 2 times a week.
23 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12067 posts
3688 upvotes
Ontario
Why not have somebody come out and put another line in so you dont have to keep switching? They may be able to just add a T?
hXcellent wrote: I have a gas line for firepit. I am thinking about getting a gas bbq to use.

I use the bbq maybe 1 time per week so likely will switch back and forth 2 times a week.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2012
141 posts
65 upvotes
NEPEAN
T is likely not allowed in Ontario... I have the landscaping done already. Kind of hard to add a line.
Mar 14, 2018
647 posts
640 upvotes
It's very easy if you have a quick disconnect fitting. I disconnect my gas bbq for storage after each use.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10843 posts
6105 upvotes
Paris
sickcars wrote: @newlyborn any idea if a T would be allowed in this situation?
T is subject to a total load calculation when both the BBQ and fire pit are going full steam. It’s super unlikely the installer sized for 2 appliances vs 1.

Personally, I would figure out how to get a T done as its very unlikely you will be running both at once.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4415 posts
2348 upvotes
Jerico wrote: T is subject to a total load calculation when both the BBQ and fire pit are going full steam. It’s super unlikely the installer sized for 2 appliances vs 1.

Personally, I would figure out how to get a T done as its very unlikely you will be running both at once.
Personally, anybody who does things against codes is a threat to themselves, their families and the public in general.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1270 posts
701 upvotes
Oshawa
Under sizing a gas line in this situation poses a threat to the user, family, and public how?

pootza wrote: Personally, anybody who does things against codes is a threat to themselves, their families and the public in general.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3124 posts
1480 upvotes
Woodbridge
A very correct statement that T is subject to total load calculation. Even if only one appliance is run at once, still one MUST size the gas line as per all appliances running simultaneously.
Gas line size is not entirely determined by the installer. If the customer has a budget and a possible addition in future, it is always advisable to go for a size bigger gas line which can be branched off in future. However, if you know than no other appliance will be added then you can get away with the min size required as its more cost effective.
We just ran 1 and 1/4 in a home as budget was not issue. Home owner foresee adding another 400K BTU min in coming years. It was well worth for him to go for bigger line.
hXcellent wrote: T is likely not allowed in Ontario... I have the landscaping done already. Kind of hard to add a line.
sickcars wrote: @newlyborn any idea if a T would be allowed in this situation?
Jerico wrote: T is subject to a total load calculation when both the BBQ and fire pit are going full steam. It’s super unlikely the installer sized for 2 appliances vs 1.

Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10843 posts
6105 upvotes
Paris
pootza wrote: Personally, anybody who does things against codes is a threat to themselves, their families and the public in general.
I agree. So I would tee it off so when one side is selected, the other side is unusable. Should be idiot proof, as you can’t start the Q when the pit is going and vice versa. I would do this in my house as no matter how many times I told the family this, someone would inevitably try and start both at once.
Dec 26, 2012
381 posts
310 upvotes
Hamilton
you need to have a gas fitter over and if it's allowed, get a T installed or whatever they suggest.

Tell them what you want to do, the BTU of the BBQ and the Firepit, if you'll be running them simultaneously ever, present them with all the info and they'll tell you what you need to do.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5680 posts
1730 upvotes
0 downvotes
its very easy to unplug the gas line from bbq and plug it into fire pit. I do not know if its legal to put a splitter and run the gas line to two appliances at the same time ,but if you are only using one at a time this might be okay. but check with local laws first
Hi
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3124 posts
1480 upvotes
Woodbridge
Many fire pits come with the exact size of quick disconnects as the BBQ. You can simply unplug and plug another appliance. Cheapest, easiest and most practical solution at least IMO.
hXcellent wrote: I have a gas line for firepit. I am thinking about getting a gas bbq to use.

Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1152 posts
348 upvotes
I swap between my fire pit and the BBQ; it's very simple and quick.

I also was in similar situation and while I could have put in a T (not to code), I went with having both lines meet up at the disconnect and simply pull out and reconnect the one I want to use.
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6823 posts
1369 upvotes
Get a proper gas fitter to come and have a look. Plug and unplug every time isn't a good idea to me. What if there is wear over time and the gas leaks? I say it's more dangerous, not worth it.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1152 posts
348 upvotes
golden wrote: Get a proper gas fitter to come and have a look. Plug and unplug every time isn't a good idea to me. What if there is wear over time and the gas leaks? I say it's more dangerous, not worth it.
this doesn't make any sense, other than getting a gas fitter to look
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3124 posts
1480 upvotes
Woodbridge
The part says it can be used for gas. However, as per gas code the gas line should be sized as per the load of all appliances attached irrespective how many will be run at any given time.
CanadianLurker wrote: Would something like this work and be allowable?

https://www.new-line.com/valves-gauges- ... -valve-npt
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10843 posts
6105 upvotes
Paris
newlyborn wrote: The part says it can be used for gas. However, as per gas code the gas line should be sized as per the load of all appliances attached irrespective how many will be run at any given time.
The part he linked is an “either or” tee, wont allow flow to both. That’s the closest you would get to legal I think.