Automotive

Gas Pump clicks to early? Possible EVAP Charcoal issue?

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2020 9:17 am
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1417 posts
1760 upvotes
negotiater wrote: Don't put the nozzle deep inside.. max 1 inch otherwise pressure builds up too quick
That is hilarious on so many levels.
May 23, 2007
440 posts
136 upvotes
Kanata
Never, ever add more fuel to "top it up", what your doing is clogging up your charcoal canister and valves. Once the pump stops, dont add more fuel. It's a notorious Toyota problem and I learned the hard way in the past having to replace my charcoal canister...
Dec 4, 2017
276 posts
252 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: since its a new vehicle , would warranty have covered that ? also thats one reason why i dont buy german brands, parts arent as readily available haha

i wouldnt have done the extra topping off if ive known that was a bad thing. no one ever told me and i figured it wouldnt hurt until todat when i learned about the EVAP system in cars
BMW dealer said they're covering this one, which means they'll submit as warranty claim to BMW Canada. It technically isn't covered by warranty, I'm sure the car computer registered the specific fault code to know it was a user/driver error and not a malfunction.

Car is fully functional with Check Engine Light left on, in the interim you have to listen carefully to when gas tank is near full to let off on the gas pump.

I usually overfill rental car gas tank a bit the night before I return to airport next day, save me from fill up during rush hour so I don't risk being charged for fuel by Hertz. Lol one of the downsides buying ex rentals I guess.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1142 posts
1466 upvotes
Canada, eh?
9 years ago I had a pump that never clicked...so that was fun cleaning up.

I don't trust the clicks now; I know how much my tank capacity is and look at my fuel gauge before pumping so i can 'guesstimate' how much liters I would require. Obviously not accurate but if the pump clicks too early or never clicks I would know.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34426 posts
20459 upvotes
Center of Universe
secretalcoholic wrote: 9 years ago I had a pump that never clicked...so that was fun cleaning up.

I don't trust the clicks now; I know how much my tank capacity is and look at my fuel gauge before pumping so i can 'guesstimate' how much liters I would require. Obviously not accurate but if the pump clicks too early or never clicks I would know.
You can generally hear the remaining air escape, just before it's full.
Dec 6, 2017
903 posts
454 upvotes
Manitoba
I round up to the next whole number...not sure why I'm doing this when it just charges on the CC. :rolleyes:
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted: