Home & Garden

Gas range code clearance tolerances

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 1:23 pm
[OP]
Jun 24, 2009
26 posts

Gas range code clearance tolerances

I'm trying to get a gas range installed by I'm facing many hurdles. First the range hood is too low. Then the top cabinets being too low. Removed the skirting on the top cabinets. The gas code says that the specifications of the manufacturer must be adhere to. So, I have a few questions that I hope some professional could weigh in on:

1) The countertop is 35 1/4 from the ground.
2) The top cabinets are 17 3/4 from the countertop.
3) There is no cabinet above the range. Because I replaced an under the cabinet hood with a wall mounted hood, I face more stringent rules and can no longer get away with having it at 24" and have to raise it to 30" above the range. This is a long story, but I can make that happen by enlarging the duct hole in the wall to the outside and moving the range from 27" to 30".
4) The clearance from the top tip of the burning elements of the range to the upper cabinets along the side, measured vertically, is 18".
5) The gas line comes out of the basement through the bottom of the kitchen floor. In the basement it uses a yellow gazflex. Out the kitchen floor comes a metal ribbled flextron like flexible gas line with a valve. The new range will need a flexible gas line attached to that valve.

So, technically, I'm not entirely to code. However: fire wise, I see no increase risk! The clearance from the range heating elements to the cupboards meets that 18" standard. The hood is 30" from those elements. A gas guy is going to have to tolerate the fact that the countertop is 3/4" too low, and the upper cabinet sitting 17 3/4 from the countertop. What is the risk of a gas guy getting audited when he phones in the installation, and getting in trouble? And is this the reason why even reasonable tolerances aren't done? Is there *any* room for tolerance so long as it does not compromise safety?
Do the TSSA / CSA bodies realize that if they keep on making absurd and inconsistent rules (building code is not compatible with the gas code for instance), people will start to install things themselves, despite the threat of insurance issues and whatnot. *I* wouldn't do that, but good grief, the rules are pretty much making it impossible to install gas ranges in places unless it's a new building. I want things to be safe. I think it is safe. A fire in my kitchen has the same chance of being put out as a fire in a new 100% to code kitchen.
Are gas mechanics' hands tied and can't even discuss this? Two gas guy oever the phone, and emails with pictures, won't do it so far. I'm reading online, however, that there is some slack here and there. I'm not buying the notions of code is code is code and that's the end of it. For instance... I've seen a friend's gas range installed by the same gas mechanic as is giving me trouble, and he happily left their under the cabinet hood sitting at 22" from the range. So THAT is ok, and my kitchen is not? My kitchen is safer than theirs! I'm using marble backsplash, they're just using drywall. My hood is 30" away from the range, theirs is only 22" away.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9482 posts
8560 upvotes
Markham
how many threads do you need for this one problem? This is an online forum, if you haven't gotten your answer from the other thread, you should probably consult professional advice.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2009
26 posts
Anikiri wrote: how many threads do you need for this one problem? This is an online forum, if you haven't gotten your answer from the other thread, you should probably consult professional advice.
Each post was about a different set of problems. Instead of you expressing that you are annoyed that I'm talking about this, it would be more helpful to contribute something that helps. Others might also find that helpful. This topic is about tolerances, exceptions, how the approval process works. How strict the audits are. How *does* it work? Does a gas mechanic phone it in, and it could be selected for a random check up? And then when that happens, would something small be a big problem? I didn't talk about that in the other posts. I'm learning as I go. This then becomes helpful for future similar issue that people might have. Is that a problem?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9482 posts
8560 upvotes
Markham
123Mike wrote: Each post was about a different set of problems. Instead of you expressing that you are annoyed that I'm talking about this, it would be more helpful to contribute something that helps. Others might also find that helpful. This topic is about tolerances, exceptions, how the approval process works. How strict the audits are. How *does* it work? Does a gas mechanic phone it in, and it could be selected for a random check up? And then when that happens, would something small be a big problem? I didn't talk about that in the other posts. I'm learning as I go. This then becomes helpful for future similar issue that people might have. Is that a problem?
Nope. I could help you since I have the same set-up as you, but you are not really looking for help as you are looking to complain. That's the funny part, you seem to understand the rules and limitations, yet you are "asking" questions while complaining about rules and limitations.

Protip: there were already 2-3 people helping you out on the other thread, you could have easily transitioned to your "new" questions, but you wanted to create another long-winding post.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2009
26 posts
Anikiri wrote: Nope. I could help you since I have the same set-up as you, but you are not really looking for help as you are looking to complain. That's the funny part, you seem to understand the rules and limitations, yet you are "asking" questions while complaining about rules and limitations.

Protip: there were already 2-3 people helping you out on the other thread, you could have easily transitioned to your "new" questions, but you wanted to create another long-winding post.
Why are you complaining about someone asking questions? What I don't have the answer to, is do some gas mechanics ask less questions and move things along and tolerate small shortcomings so long as it can be reasonably deemed just as safe, and without any compromise to safety? Or, so gas mechanics all fear that they might get checked up on, and there is no hope at all to get away with a countertop that's a small amount lower, for instance?
And the vertical clearance of range hoods. Do gas mechanics always *have* to go by the manual of the product, or do they have the option to deem it in conflict the code, that talks about lowering to 24".
I don't have the answers for these things. I think I'm close, but not everything is all set on stone. You're coming from a different point of view. You might be professional in this trade. I'm not. I'm trying to do my best to work through things, learn things. So I express a little frustration here and there. So what? It's only natural, not? It *IS* a frustrating set of things to deal with, from my point of view! I can't be the only one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)