• Aug 24th, 2017 9:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
146 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario

Gas Station Memberships?

Hey, is it worth it to get gas station membership cards? Already have some AMEX cards, I thought may as well earn some free gas points too on a membership card. Is there a list on RFD for good stations to sign up with? Just curious which gas station offers the best benefits.
17 replies
Aug 20, 2015
517 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
I use petro because the gas station in my area is usually 8-12 cents cheaper than everywhere else. I can also combine it with the 5 cents off per litre card that goes on ebay every once in awhile.

With the petro membership, you get 10 points per litre pumped. 1000 petro points is equivalent to $1. So if you pump 50 Litres of gas you save about 50 cents each pump.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38216 posts
24393 upvotes
Center of Universe
Costco?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7721 posts
4494 upvotes
Fogest wrote: Hey, is it worth it to get gas station membership cards? Already have some AMEX cards, I thought may as well earn some free gas points too on a membership card. Is there a list on RFD for good stations to sign up with? Just curious which gas station offers the best benefits.
It depends on what do you want to buy in a gas station? If it is just gas, then you can shop around for lower over all price after discount or pts.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
146 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Costco?
Can't use my Visa/American Express cards there, only Visa or Mastercard.
ml88888888 wrote: It depends on what do you want to buy in a gas station? If it is just gas, then you can shop around for lower over all price after discount or pts.
Just gas is all I am looking for :).
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
146 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
tsingoo wrote: I use petro because the gas station in my area is usually 8-12 cents cheaper than everywhere else. I can also combine it with the 5 cents off per litre card that goes on ebay every once in awhile.

With the petro membership, you get 10 points per litre pumped. 1000 petro points is equivalent to $1. So if you pump 50 Litres of gas you save about 50 cents each pump.
Sounds good, I'll look into it. In my area unfortunately it seems like which place is the cheapest changes a lot. Sometimes Husky is the cheapest, sometimes Esso, rarely Petro, but sometimes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38216 posts
24393 upvotes
Center of Universe
Fogest wrote: Can't use my Visa/American Express cards there, only Visa or Mastercard.

Just gas is all I am looking for :).
Wouldn't hurt to add a MC in your wallet :)
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
146 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Wouldn't hurt to add a MC in your wallet :)
But I'm looking to hopefully still collect my normal AMEX reward points while also getting gas points.
Aug 28, 2005
397 posts
170 upvotes
Whether or not you're committed to a particular gas station, couldn't you also just get a points card from each major station chain anyway? The point cards don't usually cost anything to get?

Sometimes just having the card will get you extra stuff you never thought'd you get.

For example, once, I got an email from Husky saying they hadn't seen me for a while and that they loaded bonus points on my card to attract me back (something like $5 worth).

Another time, Petro Canada sent out apology notes about shortage of fuel supply at some of the locations in my area, and they loaded enough points on my card for a free 10 c/L discount card.

Whether or not I regularly collected points at any one chain, it seemed not to hurt to at least be in their network to be able to participate in their promotions.

Yes, it's all marketing on their end, but if I'm going to pay for gas anyway, might as well get the occasional marketing promotion when they are vying hard for your business. (I suppose unless you don't want your data to be mined by their marketing team...)
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
146 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
rcxAsh wrote: Whether or not you're committed to a particular gas station, couldn't you also just get a points card from each major station chain anyway? The point cards don't usually cost anything to get?

Sometimes just having the card will get you extra stuff you never thought'd you get.

For example, once, I got an email from Husky saying they hadn't seen me for a while and that they loaded bonus points on my card to attract me back (something like $5 worth).

Another time, Petro Canada sent out apology notes about shortage of fuel supply at some of the locations in my area, and they loaded enough points on my card for a free 10 c/L discount card.

Whether or not I regularly collected points at any one chain, it seemed not to hurt to at least be in their network to be able to participate in their promotions.

Yes, it's all marketing on their end, but if I'm going to pay for gas anyway, might as well get the occasional marketing promotion when they are vying hard for your business. (I suppose unless you don't want your data to be mined by their marketing team...)
Yeah I may as well do that. Guess I'll just go to a few of their websites and sign up.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5776 posts
7797 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Do you have a coop in your community? Often, purchasing gas at the co-ops will earn you 4-9 cents per litre in dividends and shares. The memberships do require an investment (usually $10-$25)、 but it is an investment and when you cancel the membership, you do get it back plus accumulated shares.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $7200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
sask-pension-6000-annually-credit-card- ... ns-2167222
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4221 posts
1357 upvotes
QC
Loblaws gas bar linked with a PCF WE. It come out in my area at about the same value vs Costco.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
146 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
xgbsSS wrote: Do you have a coop in your community? Often, purchasing gas at the co-ops will earn you 4-9 cents per litre in dividends and shares. The memberships do require an investment (usually $10-$25)、 but it is an investment and when you cancel the membership, you do get it back plus accumulated shares.
Not that I know of. What kinds of names do they go by usually? I can't seem to find any in my area by some googling.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7721 posts
4494 upvotes
Fogest wrote: Hey, is it worth it to get gas station membership cards? Already have some AMEX cards, I thought may as well earn some free gas points too on a membership card. Is there a list on RFD for good stations to sign up with? Just curious which gas station offers the best benefits.
Check gas price in your city on gasbuddy.com
Jun 5, 2016
599 posts
791 upvotes
Fogest wrote: Not that I know of. What kinds of names do they go by usually? I can't seem to find any in my area by some googling.
co-op
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5776 posts
7797 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Fogest wrote: Not that I know of. What kinds of names do they go by usually? I can't seem to find any in my area by some googling.
See above (Co-op)

Not very common in Ontario, but in Western Canada, they are an institution in small communities although Calgary, Saskatoon and Winnipeg have well established ones. They are generally a hardware, tire, grocery and gasoline store. Groceries aren't really cheap, and generally expensive, but their gasoline cashback is great and hard to beat. Plus, it is local ownership which I wholeheartedly support.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $7200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
sask-pension-6000-annually-credit-card- ... ns-2167222
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
146 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
xgbsSS wrote: See above (Co-op)

Not very common in Ontario, but in Western Canada, they are an institution in small communities although Calgary, Saskatoon and Winnipeg have well established ones. They are generally a hardware, tire, grocery and gasoline store. Groceries aren't really cheap, and generally expensive, but their gasoline cashback is great and hard to beat. Plus, it is local ownership which I wholeheartedly support.
xgbsSS wrote: Under the federated co-operatives brand, the only places I see are Bear-Skin Lake, Kenora, Vermillion Bay and Dryden.

https://www.coopconnection.ca/
Hmmm, that's unfortunate, won't be an option for me. I'm in Ontario near Toronto.