Home & Garden

Gas Stove Recommendations

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2021 5:02 am
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 29, 2012
12 posts
Montreal

Gas Stove Recommendations

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody had any general recommendations for gas stoves. I will be moving sometime in the summer and it will be the first time for me using gas so I am not sure what to expect or look out for.
From my current research it seems that a model with dual fuel would be something I would want since I do bake from time to time.

My budget is around 3k
My cookware is a mix of everything : non stick pans, stainless steel, cast iron and a work although I barely ever use it since I am currently using a flattop and the performance is just abysmal.

I am for the most part looking for something functional with good cooking performance, I do not need any fancy gizmos or self cleaning features as I always do it by hand but I would definitely appreciate any special designs that would make the cooktop simpler to clean.

Thank you
43 replies
Sr. Member
May 21, 2015
871 posts
416 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
A dual fuel gas stove (electric oven & gas cooktop) will still require a 220 volt receptacle for the oven. So if the place you are moving had an all gas stove , check to see if there is 220 v plug in.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 29, 2012
12 posts
Montreal
Yes it will definitely have one as it was originally electric but the owner added the gas line as well
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2252 posts
430 upvotes
We bought a GE Cafe dual, and love it. Shop around for some deals, we got ours at 50% off as a slight scratch and dent at TAApplicances
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 29, 2012
12 posts
Montreal
redsfan wrote: We bought a GE Cafe dual, and love it. Shop around for some deals, we got ours at 50% off as a slight scratch and dent at TAApplicances
That's an amazing deal! doubt I will be able to find something like that around here in Montreal but the Cafe line did pique my interest.

Would you happen to know if there is any major difference between the cafe line and comparable profile line? The main difference seems to be the aesthetics and 6 burner vs 5( oval middle) but for the price difference I might be missing something.

Thank You
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2007
3506 posts
704 upvotes
GTA
We had a GE Profile dual-fuel stove in our last house and absolutely loved it. We never had any issues with it. We have an induction stove now and really miss the gas stove. I suspect we'll replace it with a GE Profile gas stove in the next 6 months.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
4903 posts
1265 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: We had a GE Profile dual-fuel stove in our last house and absolutely loved it. We never had any issues with it. We have an induction stove now and really miss the gas stove. I suspect we'll replace it with a GE Profile gas stove in the next 6 months.
That is the first time I have ever seen someone that has used induction wishing to go back to using something else.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2007
3506 posts
704 upvotes
GTA
Toukolou wrote: That is the first time I have ever seen someone that has used induction wishing to go back to using something else.
Really? I'm surprised to be honest. Induction is better than a ceramic cooktop for sure, but we find that you can't modulate the heat quite the same as with gas.

It could boil (pun intended) down to the fact that we have a Samsung stove that came with the house and they simply don't know how to make a good appliance.
Sr. Member
Oct 17, 2002
949 posts
151 upvotes
Oakville
We got a Cafe Dual Fuel on boxing day for about $3000 at costco. We love it.

Part of me wish we splurged for that matte white, but I'm still happy with the stainless steel version. Went dual fuel because the wife likes to bake and it's apparently more even heating (plus I think gas ovens take longer to preheat?).
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 29, 2012
12 posts
Montreal
The_Professor wrote: We had a GE Profile dual-fuel stove in our last house and absolutely loved it. We never had any issues with it. We have an induction stove now and really miss the gas stove. I suspect we'll replace it with a GE Profile gas stove in the next 6 months.
That's great to hear! I was considering it if it was on par to the Cafe model as I could allocate the savings to another appliance.

KennyX wrote: We got a Cafe Dual Fuel on boxing day for about $3000 at costco. We love it.

Part of me wish we splurged for that matte white, but I'm still happy with the stainless steel version. Went dual fuel because the wife likes to bake and it's apparently more even heating (plus I think gas ovens take longer to preheat?).
Yes that seemed to be the case from the what I've read ,while I don't bake very often the times that I do I would find myself moving around stuff in my electric oven to get even heating/coverage and I would hate to deal with even more variables.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 10, 2011
9490 posts
2032 upvotes
Somewhere
Whatever you get, make sure the cooktop (the surface underneath the burners) is also stainless steel. Much, much easier to clean than the black ones.
:confused:
Member
Dec 31, 2007
443 posts
112 upvotes
i replaced my broken electric range with gas stove and gas oven. i didn't realize at the time, the lowest temperature i can go with a gas oven is 300 deg f. my old electric oven could go down to 200 deg f. so i really cant slow cook roasts anymore.

i bought a really decent frigidaire gas stove/oven for 1000, but passed on the duel fuel since the cheapest one cost around $2400 last year. the gas stovetop is great.

i still oven roast but just can't do slow roasting anymore. not a huge loss. just something to think about if you like slow roasting at lower temps.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18862 posts
4955 upvotes
Toronto
Our $5000 Viking all gas stove is crap.

It’s been repaired probably 4-5X, including one product recall repair. Luckily we had paid for the extended warranty on it so the repairs were covered. The front burners still don’t work if the oven is on but we’ve learned to live with that as it finally works otherwise after all those repairs.

YMMV.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 29, 2012
12 posts
Montreal
iEyeCaptain wrote: Whatever you get, make sure the cooktop (the surface underneath the burners) is also stainless steel. Much, much easier to clean than the black ones.
I'll definitely keep that in mind thanks, I definitely don't wipe down my current flat top after every session so I wouldn't want a cleaning nightmare on my hands either.
gladiator1942 wrote: i replaced my broken electric range with gas stove and gas oven. i didn't realize at the time, the lowest temperature i can go with a gas oven is 300 deg f. my old electric oven could go down to 200 deg f. so i really cant slow cook roasts anymore.

i bought a really decent frigidaire gas stove/oven for 1000, but passed on the duel fuel since the cheapest one cost around $2400 last year. the gas stovetop is great.

i still oven roast but just can't do slow roasting anymore. not a huge loss. just something to think about if you like slow roasting at lower temps.
thanks yes luckily I still have my decent sized breville toaster oven if I would need to roast something not too big

EugW wrote: Our $5000 Viking all gas stove is crap.

It’s been repaired probably 4-5X, including one product recall repair. Luckily we had paid for the extended warranty on it so the repairs were covered. The front burners still don’t work if the oven is on but we’ve learned to live with that as it finally works otherwise after all those repairs.

YMMV.
Ouch that really sucks, I always imagined Viking as a premium brand. It does make me think if I really want to spend the whole 3k on a stove since they just don't make them like they used to. My current landlords appliances have been slowly crapping out one by one and they are for the most part less than 10 years old whereas my dads stuff have been going for pretty much 30 years.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
4903 posts
1265 upvotes
KEwkies wrote: I'll definitely keep that in mind thanks, I definitely don't wipe down my current flat top after every session so I wouldn't want a cleaning nightmare on my hands either.
A gas cooktop is magnitudes harder to keep clean than a flat cooktop. Even a SS one. Too many nooks and crannies.

Nothing is easier than a flat top, and nothing is easier still, than an induction flat top.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3167 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
I'm all about Bluestar.

Easy to clean - the grates all just lift off and you can wash them in the sink or heck, toss them in the dishwasher I suppose if you like. Big pull out tray catches all the drips and crumbs.

Whole thing comes apart with a screwdriver. I replaced the igniter in the oven the other day and it took me 5 minutes and 5 screws to do it. 3 holding on the bottom 'kickplate' and two holding the igniter on.

No computers, no chips, no digital displays, no timers, no nothing that can go wrong. Just a giant stainless steel shell, some enameled panels, cast iron grates and burners with simple ignition.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 29, 2012
12 posts
Montreal
Toukolou wrote: A gas cooktop is magnitudes harder to keep clean than a flat cooktop. Even a SS one. Too many nooks and crannies.

Nothing is easier than a flat top, and nothing is easier still, than an induction flat top.
Yes that has crossed my mind as well and is definitely no contest but I figured I would at least try a gas stove once in my life and perhaps get an induction later down the line when it starts failing
torontotim wrote: I'm all about Bluestar.

Easy to clean - the grates all just lift off and you can wash them in the sink or heck, toss them in the dishwasher I suppose if you like. Big pull out tray catches all the drips and crumbs.

Whole thing comes apart with a screwdriver. I replaced the igniter in the oven the other day and it took me 5 minutes and 5 screws to do it. 3 holding on the bottom 'kickplate' and two holding the igniter on.

No computers, no chips, no digital displays, no timers, no nothing that can go wrong. Just a giant stainless steel shell, some enameled panels, cast iron grates and burners with simple ignition.
Sounds amazing! ease of repair would be ideal but unfortunately its way off my budget.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18862 posts
4955 upvotes
Toronto
KEwkies wrote: Ouch that really sucks, I always imagined Viking as a premium brand. It does make me think if I really want to spend the whole 3k on a stove since they just don't make them like they used to. My current landlords appliances have been slowly crapping out one by one and they are for the most part less than 10 years old whereas my dads stuff have been going for pretty much 30 years.
I'm starting to think that $3000 is about the sweet spot if you're looking for something better than average. A lot of the cheaper ones are just cheap or are missing features. And the ones over $4000 just have a more industrial or modern chic look but aren't necessarily longer lasting (according to some repair guys I've talked to). It seems to me the time to spend over $5000 is if you're going to a 36" model, but with a 30" a good price point is around $3000.

We have another gas range that looks more like a traditional gas stove, GE Profile branded. It's like 25 years old and still going strong. But the burners are not as powerful as current models.

The other thing I like about the more traditional ones is they have a simmer burner. All of my Viking burners too strong and wide for a proper small simmer pot, or just even a small pot not on simmer. So we use a simmer plate when necessary.

torontotim wrote: I'm all about Bluestar.

Easy to clean - the grates all just lift off and you can wash them in the sink or heck, toss them in the dishwasher I suppose if you like. Big pull out tray catches all the drips and crumbs.

Whole thing comes apart with a screwdriver. I replaced the igniter in the oven the other day and it took me 5 minutes and 5 screws to do it. 3 holding on the bottom 'kickplate' and two holding the igniter on.

No computers, no chips, no digital displays, no timers, no nothing that can go wrong. Just a giant stainless steel shell, some enameled panels, cast iron grates and burners with simple ignition.
My wife vetoed the Bluestar as you describe, because she didn't want an open burner style range. It had to be closed burner. Too bad, because the Bluestar was around half the price at around $2500 IIRC. There was also a clearance open burner range from a high end brand going for around $3500 at the time, but my wife insisted on the industrial looking closed burner style so that's what we got at around $5000 for the Viking. Wolf was even more expensive.

Toukolou wrote: A gas cooktop is magnitudes harder to keep clean than a flat cooktop. Even a SS one. Too many nooks and crannies.

Nothing is easier than a flat top, and nothing is easier still, than an induction flat top.
I really dislike flat top stoves myself. Woks especially suck on flat top induction stoves. It should be noted that some houses aren't ideally wired for induction, since ideally you should have a 50 A circuit. That said, 40A is probably fine for most families.

Top