Computers & Electronics

gateway laptops and built in battery opinions?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2011 10:10 am
[OP]
Dec 8, 2007
105 posts
59 upvotes

gateway laptops and built in battery opinions?

Hi,

I wanted to know what people's opinions on built-in laptop batteries were

I saw futureshop selling a gateway 14" id47 laptop and all the specs seem good however, I have no experience with built-in batteries. I'm worried that because it's built in i can't control its charging and I don't want to be forced that when using the battery, that I have to completely drain it before plugging it in just to prolong the battery life. I want it to last a few years where at the end of the laptops life (3-4 years from now) that the battery will still provide 2-3 hours on a full charge.

Also, has anyone had experience with gateway laptops? I'm currently using an hp and it over heats way too much and it's uncomfortable to use when it's hot. Are gateway laptops good when it comes to vents and heating?

This is the laptop I'm referring to: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 6c7f80en02

Thanks
2 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20250 posts
13579 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have to agree with you on the idea of a built-in battery :-0 It's not a good idea!

But I think that's were things are going unfortunately. You can see it in the tablets and the pads as well as many of the portable electronics out there. I blame Apple for starting it all with their no-user replaceable battery products. The average consumer out there has gotten used to the idea that nothing is serviceable so why bother? Also, how many people do you know get a new battery for their laptop when it no longer charges? Most people say that it's time to get a new one anyways... Heck, they say that with cordless razors and let's face it, razor technology hasn't changed much in the past 30 years.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1658 posts
184 upvotes
Scarbontario
The unibody design craze... :facepalm:

If we want MBP, we buy MBP. Don't put them in gateways!