Home & Garden

GE Cafe Induction Slide-in Range

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2022 10:04 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2011
1290 posts
691 upvotes
Not NEPEAN

GE Cafe Induction Slide-in Range

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the GECafe Induction range, specifically the double oven model CCHS950P2MS1. We were always planning to go gas but seems like induction might be the better choice for us now.

Pretty sad that even at $4k+ for a range, you only get 1 year warranty, thought it might be better for the Cafe line.

Anyways, just wondering what others have to say about cafe induction ranges and appliances in general.

We are going with a Bosch 300 dishwasher and likely a GE Profile 36" full depth refrigerator.
41 replies
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1147 posts
722 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Can't speak for that model but we have the GE Profile Induction single oven since 2018 and very happy with it. I did get the 4 year extended warranty just in case. It connects to wi-fi if that is of any value to you. I've used it for the timer feature if I'm outside of the house. . However the ads stated that it can also be connected to Alexa but it won't because the GE App doesn't work in Canada unless you have your Amazon Alexa's registered to a US account. It may have changed since then so double check.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
6494 posts
2631 upvotes
We had this on order late 2020, waited nearly a year and couldn't get it, switched it out for a gas Cafe model.

Our current model is great, but we would have gone with this model if we could get it.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2011
1290 posts
691 upvotes
Not NEPEAN
Beneful1 wrote: Can't speak for that model but we have the GE Profile Induction single oven since 2018 and very happy with it. I did get the 4 year extended warranty just in case. It connects to wi-fi if that is of any value to you. I've used it for the timer feature if I'm outside of the house. . However the ads stated that it can also be connected to Alexa but it won't because the GE App doesn't work in Canada unless you have your Amazon Alexa's registered to a US account. It may have changed since then so double check.
Thanks for the info but we don't do any smart home things in our house so the wifi/Alexa integration wouldn't be an issue.

I'm still surprised/disappointed about the 1Y warranty but I guess most things are like that these days.
Toukolou wrote: We had this on order late 2020, waited nearly a year and couldn't get it, switched it out for a gas Cafe model.

Our current model is great, but we would have gone with this model if we could get it.
It looks like availability is ok now, though we haven't actually started asking at stores. Trying to narrow things down and then start making some calls/visits.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2118 posts
2595 upvotes
West GTA
I have the single oven induction Cafe range. Overall I think it is great.

Pro:
Nicely designed, looks good. Some thought put into menu, sounds, lights, time before burner shutoff, etc.

Construction quality is pretty good, generally. I got a floor model and found the leg adjustments finicky but it’s better than a cheap induction stove. I have heard the temp probe can break eventually but have not used it or experienced that personally.

Temperature is fairly close in the oven, used a probe to see. Convection works well. Heats up in reasonable time.

The cooktop with induction is a revelation. Makes gas and radiant seem like a joke. The large burner is 11 inches across and you’ll be using that one a fair bit as the heating area is slightly smaller than the burner size due to the physics involved. The 8 inch dual ones are an ok size but the 11 is most useful.

Haven’t used, but connects to smart pans, sous vide and all that. Heard smart pans work quite well, sous vide is ‘ok’.

Cons:

Glass top has no barrier edge, which looks nice but makes spills risky. A pool of liquid could run off the side of the stove and require annoying cleanup. Hasn’t happened yet but it is a risk. There is a fuller set you can get which is OK but unsure if it solves the issue.

The components aren’t really the different from the profile induction - same cooktop, etc. you are paying for the design elements, some bells and whistles and a few smart features. Does look nice though.

There is a fan across the back to cool down various range elements to keep it zero clearance on the sides. It turns on after prolonged use and is fairly quiet, though goes on for a bit which is fine. There are holes for the vents that you don’t want to fumble food into though.

It is pretty expensive.

I found the warming drawer squeaks, though I did get the floor model so may be wear and tear and fixable. Haven’t tried yet.


Overall I’m a fan. Best stove I have ever used.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1147 posts
722 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I doubt you'll find any mainstream brand generally offering more than a 1 yr. warranty. You can always dicker with the salesperson to lower the cost of an extended warranty. Iirc correctly CAS gave me the 4 yr warranty for the price of the 3yr. It was something around $199. But these days, who knows. BTW the profile version of this stove with electronic controls (not knobs) was the highest scoring in Cons Reports 5/5 reliability, cooktop performance, baking. The Cafe version is basically the same with just some added bells and whistles and knobs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2011
1290 posts
691 upvotes
Not NEPEAN
Beneful1 wrote: I doubt you'll find any mainstream brand generally offering more than a 1 yr. warranty. You can always dicker with the salesperson to lower the cost of an extended warranty. Iirc correctly CAS gave me the 4 yr warranty for the price of the 3yr. It was something around $199. But these days, who knows. BTW the profile version of this stove with electronic controls (not knobs) was the highest scoring in Cons Reports 5/5 reliability, cooktop performance, baking. The Cafe version is basically the same with just some added bells and whistles and knobs.
Great to hear about the CR part. Was considering picking up a month subscription to read up but was hoping someone might be able to chime in with info from CR.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
6494 posts
2631 upvotes
nickwa wrote: Great to hear about the CR part. Was considering picking up a month subscription to read up but was hoping someone might be able to chime in with info from CR.
Buy the extended warranty, lots of electronic parts in these stoves. If you can get it from Costco, great. If not, I've had good experience with CAS for pricing , despite what many others might have to say. Nowadays, if you have a problem after the appliance has been delivered you're always directed to the manufacturer anyway (Home Depot/Lowe's and Costco are the only exception to this, you can sometimes appeal to them).
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2118 posts
2595 upvotes
West GTA
Beneful1 wrote: I doubt you'll find any mainstream brand generally offering more than a 1 yr. warranty. You can always dicker with the salesperson to lower the cost of an extended warranty. Iirc correctly CAS gave me the 4 yr warranty for the price of the 3yr. It was something around $199. But these days, who knows. BTW the profile version of this stove with electronic controls (not knobs) was the highest scoring in Cons Reports 5/5 reliability, cooktop performance, baking. The Cafe version is basically the same with just some added bells and whistles and knobs.
Definitely true that if you're okay with the look and controls of the Profile it's better value for fundamentally the same cooktop and the same oven (single oven) as the Cafe. It's a fair bit cheaper for similar quality (probably about a grand), and the matching appliances (fridge, etc) if you're into that are also quite a bit cheaper and similar quality.
Member
User avatar
Nov 24, 2014
296 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nickwa wrote: It looks like availability is ok now, though we haven't actually started asking at stores. Trying to narrow things down and then start making some calls/visits.
lots of places are still selling these but I'm not sure they are actually delivering them.
I've been waiting a year and delivery ETA has been pushed back to "possibly August".

Costco seems to carry this line/model. Maybe you can get some extra protection through them?

I added a whole home surge protector to (hopefully)help mitigate possible damage to the range/fridge/other electronics from spikes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2011
1290 posts
691 upvotes
Not NEPEAN
dieseldub wrote: lots of places are still selling these but I'm not sure they are actually delivering them.
I've been waiting a year and delivery ETA has been pushed back to "possibly August".

Costco seems to carry this line/model. Maybe you can get some extra protection through them?

I added a whole home surge protector to (hopefully)help mitigate possible damage to the range/fridge/other electronics from spikes.
Does Costco have this model? I only see the Gas double oven or the electric single oven on the site. Looks like the white double oven induction no longer exists on the site (can find it on Google but redirects to "product not found" page.
Member
User avatar
Nov 24, 2014
296 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nickwa wrote: Does Costco have this model? I only see the Gas double oven or the electric single oven on the site. Looks like the white double oven induction no longer exists on the site (can find it on Google but redirects to "product not found" page.
I’m not sure. But they have one on display that looks like the one you mention.
98DB94D0-0B56-445F-BD40-154CEF4DF14A.jpeg
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2712 posts
1413 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Remember Perkopolis when buying Bosch… may change your mind on the fridge too (~30% off).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2011
1290 posts
691 upvotes
Not NEPEAN
Andy34 wrote: Remember Perkopolis when buying Bosch… may change your mind on the fridge too (~30% off).
Yes, I don't have Perkopolis right now but will certainly find a way to get it soon, even if just for the dishwasher. Hearing bad things about the Frigidaire fridges so will likely need to go another route.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2712 posts
1413 upvotes
Calgary, AB
nickwa wrote: Yes, I don't have Perkopolis right now but will certainly find a way to get it soon, even if just for the dishwasher. Hearing bad things about the Frigidaire fridges so will likely need to go another route.
Canadian tire credit card/roadside assistance. Dishwashers are even more discounted so even if you pay for the roadside it will probably still be cheaper.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10360 posts
1717 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: Remember Perkopolis when buying Bosch… may change your mind on the fridge too (~30% off).
How does one have access to Perkopolis. I have an account but is it good enough to make purchases? Not sure how it works.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2011
1290 posts
691 upvotes
Not NEPEAN
speedyforme wrote: How does one have access to Perkopolis. I have an account but is it good enough to make purchases? Not sure how it works.
There's a Bosch Portal I have been told. Don't have Perkopolis yet but you should be able to find it if you do.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2867 posts
1965 upvotes
I inquired to a lot of different places about a white Cafe induction slide in and was told Nov. 2022 at the earliest. Costco has had them on their site but as out of stock. The white single oven went back in stock yesterday and the stainless double oven was too. I ordered the white single oven with the extended warranty. I'm hoping this means costco has them in stock and I'll get them soon. On houzz people are saying they're been waiting for theirs since mid 2021.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2011
1290 posts
691 upvotes
Not NEPEAN
tim-x wrote: I inquired to a lot of different places about a white Cafe induction slide in and was told Nov. 2022 at the earliest. Costco has had them on their site but as out of stock. The white single oven went back in stock yesterday and the stainless double oven was too. I ordered the white single oven with the extended warranty. I'm hoping this means costco has them in stock and I'll get them soon. On houzz people are saying they're been waiting for theirs since mid 2021.
Stainless double oven in stock where?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2867 posts
1965 upvotes
nickwa wrote: Stainless double oven in stock where?
The induction stainless double oven was available for purchase on costco's website yesterday. They've since removed all the Cafe induction ranges entirely.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)