3985 posts
725 upvotes
Windsor

[********] Sricam SP012 720p P2P IP Camera with Motion $21 USD

Deal Link:
Price:
$21 USD
Hey guys,

I just got one of these cameras and noticed it's now on sale for $21 USD (I paid regular price of $30).

They have a flash sale at the moment, but only 43 pieces at time of writing :-

http://www.********.com/ip-cameras/pp_330679.html

My thoughts - works well, picture quality is reasonable, motion controls and two way audio work great.

There is however a but.... As it's a P2P camera it maintains a constant connection to some IP's based in China and Hong Kong. This sketched me out a little, so I blocked access to the internet for the cameras IP on my routers firewall so that I can only connect to it internally. Some people may not be concerned but I personally didn't feel comfortable with it. So, for access externally I now have to connect via VPN to my internal network and then connect to the camera. The downside to this is the official app doesn't work via this route since it's probably still trying to get via an external route (though it does still work fine internally) and I now have to use tinycam app which doesn't have full support for the cameras functions (I did email the developer though to see if he can add support).

So the short version is - a decent camera for very very cheap, but comes with some caveats that may concern some people (myself included). Still, a decent deal that I'd thought I'd share in case anyone else was willing to live with the gotchas for the price.

I know some people have an issue with ********, but personally I've not had a problem and ordered many items from them. My favourite tip is to add the $1.99 for Royal Mail shipping - this means you'll get it much faster - less than 3 weeks in my case.
12 replies
Mar 5, 2005
516 posts
310 upvotes
to address the p2p issue, i simply didn't assign a default gateway since i use Contacam as my DVR for all my camera's
just a tip
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3985 posts
725 upvotes
Windsor
fortunat wrote: to address the p2p issue, i simply didn't assign a default gateway since i use Contacam as my DVR for all my camera's
just a tip
Thanks, will take a look at that. The issue I'm having with using 3rd party software is it doesn't seem to put out a 720p stream over RTSP plus no PTZ controls...
Jul 24, 2012
718 posts
110 upvotes
G77 wrote: Hey guys,

I just got one of these cameras and noticed it's now on sale for $21 USD (I paid regular price of $30).

They have a flash sale at the moment, but only 43 pieces at time of writing :-

http://www.********.com/ip-cameras/pp_330679.html

My thoughts - works well, picture quality is reasonable, motion controls and two way audio work great.

There is however a but.... As it's a P2P camera it maintains a constant connection to some IP's based in China and Hong Kong. This sketched me out a little, so I blocked access to the internet for the cameras IP on my routers firewall so that I can only connect to it internally. Some people may not be concerned but I personally didn't feel comfortable with it. So, for access externally I now have to connect via VPN to my internal network and then connect to the camera. The downside to this is the official app doesn't work via this route since it's probably still trying to get via an external route (though it does still work fine internally) and I now have to use tinycam app which doesn't have full support for the cameras functions (I did email the developer though to see if he can add support).

So the short version is - a decent camera for very very cheap, but comes with some caveats that may concern some people (myself included). Still, a decent deal that I'd thought I'd share in case anyone else was willing to live with the gotchas for the price.

I know some people have an issue with ********, but personally I've not had a problem and ordered many items from them. My favourite tip is to add the $1.99 for Royal Mail shipping - this means you'll get it much faster - less than 3 weeks in my case.
Never heard of the company before. Are they reliable? Anyone purchased from them before?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3985 posts
725 upvotes
Windsor
Dealfinder111 wrote: Never heard of the company before. Are they reliable? Anyone purchased from them before?
********? Really? They are pretty well known out of the Chinese dropshippers. Some people say they are a pain to return stuff to etc but I haven't had the need to do that yet and have placed many orders with them. Everything I've ordered from them has arrived eventually - Royal Mail option means you'll get things faster but with the mail strike looming that may be a moot point.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2013
1458 posts
519 upvotes
Mississauga
G77 wrote: ********? Really? They are pretty well known out of the Chinese dropshippers. Some people say they are a pain to return stuff to etc but I haven't had the need to do that yet and have placed many orders with them. Everything I've ordered from them has arrived eventually - Royal Mail option means you'll get things faster but with the mail strike looming that may be a moot point.
The whole p2p thing is sketching me out. Literally could turn the camera on at any time and do whatever. Not really sure why they mad either go through their network.
Jan 2, 2013
163 posts
156 upvotes
Leaf nation
Dealfinder111 wrote: Never heard of the company before. Are they reliable? Anyone purchased from them before?
No problems stuff always makes it. Product dies though just throw it out.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1214 posts
397 upvotes
MARKHAM
This cam is trash, I had it before and I replaced it with a Xiaomi now. Much better.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3595 posts
942 upvotes
purebluejapan wrote: This cam is trash, I had it before and I replaced it with a Xiaomi now. Much better.
Links please?

I never bought a IP camera for the sole reason they all call home. I would love one I can control on my LAN and it allows you to upload to a network share or FTP, that's all I really want. Don't want anything uploaded to the Internet for these type of devices, it just makes no sense from a privacy point of view.

I was thinking of getting one and blocking it on my router, same as OP.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1214 posts
397 upvotes
MARKHAM
JonSnow wrote: Links please?

I never bought a IP camera for the sole reason they all call home. I would love one I can control on my LAN and it allows you to upload to a network share or FTP, that's all I really want. Don't want anything uploaded to the Internet for these type of devices, it just makes no sense from a privacy point of view.

I was thinking of getting one and blocking it on my router, same as OP.
The problem with this cam is that the lens internally melted for me, then I had this distorted/hazed image.
Not sure why it was like that but I guess perhaps it was from 24/7 operation.

I ended up buying https://www.amazon.com/YI-Home-Camera-O ... erts-White

This is much better, light years. Easy to setup QR code and virtually the clearest image I've seen in any IP cam's at this price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3985 posts
725 upvotes
Windsor
purebluejapan wrote: The problem with this cam is that the lens internally melted for me, then I had this distorted/hazed image.
Not sure why it was like that but I guess perhaps it was from 24/7 operation.
Yikes - after how long did it "melt"? I've only been running it for a few days so far but OK at the moment....