Expired Hot Deals

Gearbest

Warm: ZanFlare F1 CREE XPL V6 LED Flashlight 6000-6500K 1240LM Super Bright $32.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2016 12:33 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9248 posts
10829 upvotes

Warm: ZanFlare F1 CREE XPL V6 LED Flashlight 6000-6500K 1240LM Super Bright $32.99

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Gearbest
Saw this on their daily deal page: http://www.********.com/gadget-deals.html

True 1240 Lumen CREE LED 34.99USD (after coupon F1GB, regular $39.99), $32.99 NO Coupon Required.
http://www.********.com/led-flashlights/pp_466743.html

Better price than Nitecore ones and has true 1240lumen output

Keep inmind you will need to buy 18650 Batteries for these (if you dont own already).
Here: http://www.********.com/batteries/pp_242227.html?wid=21
OR on Amazon for about the same price. https://www.amazon.ca/Canwelum-Protecte ... B00IXHEBZM

My Unboxing:

I bought one to keep in car / outdoors activiites. Might do a review for it, but check out the review below from someone else to show how bright this is
Last edited by Wizard1 on Dec 13th, 2016 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
28 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24068 posts
9555 upvotes
Socially Distanced
From online reviews it looks to be a decent light, and the in flashlight charging saves learning curve for non li ion enthusiasts.
I have not looked into it extensively so i'm not yet convinced its safe for non enthusiasts.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9248 posts
10829 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: From online reviews it looks to be a decent light, and the in flashlight charging saves learning curve for non li ion enthusiasts.
I have not looked into it extensively so i'm not yet convinced its safe for non enthusiasts.
I'm definitely not an enthusiast so I'll let you know what happens. Lol closest thing I have is my phone's led or my old maglight
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24068 posts
9555 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Wizard1 wrote: I'm definitely not an enthusiast so I'll let you know what happens. Lol closest thing I have is my phone's led or my old maglight
Its not that simple, li ion has to be carefully managed or it can explode. The explosion rate is only a few percent for abused batteries (and very time delayed) but thats still a very high number.
A cell phone is designed to properly manage the battery, never goes below 2.5V, doesn't overcharge, should not overheat to dangerous levels.
For flashlights this is trickier, most lights you can run the battery into dangerous levels (then explosion can occur but often months or years later), multi cell lights can go into reverse charge which is an extreme li ion explosion risk (this is a single cell light so thats good), the flashlight produces more heat then light, so if the temperature regulation is not working properly that can cause future risks (most enthusiast LED lights have no temp regulating circuitry at all), and the charging circuitry is not approved by any certification body and can be overcharging the battery easily, in fact some ecigs run straight off USB meaning 5V into a 4.2V battery (then you get the explosions we hear about on the news).
Lets not forget all the uncertified and fire causing hover boards with li ion batteries that were on the news, which is another risk, chinese no name batteries, you always want name brand genuine batteries, Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony, LG, Samsung etc.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9248 posts
10829 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Its not that simple, li ion has to be carefully managed or it can explode. The explosion rate is only a few percent for abused batteries (and very time delayed) but thats still a very high number.
A cell phone is designed to properly manage the battery, never goes below 2.5V, doesn't overcharge, should not overheat to dangerous levels.
For flashlights this is trickier, most lights you can run the battery into dangerous levels (then explosion can occur but often months or years later), multi cell lights can go into reverse charge which is an extreme li ion explosion risk (this is a single cell light so thats good), the flashlight produces more heat then light, so if the temperature regulation is not working properly that can cause future risks (most enthusiast LED lights have no temp regulating circuitry at all), and the charging circuitry is not approved by any certification body and can be overcharging the battery easily, in fact some ecigs run straight off USB meaning 5V into a 4.2V battery (then you get the explosions we hear about on the news).
Lets not forget all the uncertified and fire causing hover boards with li ion batteries that were on the news, which is another risk, chinese no name batteries, you always want name brand genuine batteries, Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony, LG, Samsung etc.
Holly crap, I didn't know that much thought needed to go into a led Cree flashlight
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24068 posts
9555 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Wizard1 wrote: Holly crap, I didn't know that much thought needed to go into a led Cree flashlight
Thats the tip of the iceberg, li ion batteries are serious stuff, and theres a reason this is enthusiast grade equipment
I would personally never give a li ion light to a non enthusiast, i would give a 4AA eneloop powered light, less runtime but much safer. Though i know of none in 4AA with temperature regulation, so lower lumens are better. Most of the Husky/Defiant lights at Home Depot are very bright and safe for non enthusiasts, some go to 1000 lumens on C or D batteries. NOt rechargeable but no learning curve.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9248 posts
10829 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Thats the tip of the iceberg, li ion batteries are serious stuff, and theres a reason this is enthusiast grade equipment
I would personally never give a li ion light to a non enthusiast, i would give a 4AA eneloop powered light, less runtime but much safer. Though i know of none in 4AA with temperature regulation, so lower lumens are better. Most of the Husky/Defiant lights at Home Depot are very bright and safe for non enthusiasts, some go to 1000 lumens on C or D batteries. NOt rechargeable but no learning curve.
Thanks for sharing. I will definitely do more research and learning before starting to use it.

A quick question... Based on the video, the max output of 1240lm is timed (30 seconds) and then it steps down to a lower lumen level. Will this automatic feature help elevate some of the possible safety concerns?
Jul 2, 2005
429 posts
166 upvotes
Mississauga
Looks like the battery is not included (18650), My suggestion is to get a good battery (not those no-name or ****Fire ones) and a good charger.
If your not familiar with Li ion, get the protected batteries. (Some lights require unprotected cells particularly those high discharge lights)

For chargers, these works for me XSTAR VC2 and NiteCore i4.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24068 posts
9555 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Wizard1 wrote: Thanks for sharing. I will definitely do more research and learning before starting to use it.

A quick question... Based on the video, the max output of 1240lm is timed (30 seconds) and then it steps down to a lower lumen level. Will this automatic feature help elevate some of the possible safety concerns?
There are message forums that answer questions such as budget light forum
The idea of the step down is to reduce overheating problems, they are an indirect method that assumes your using the light in typical scenarios. 30 Seconds is a pretty good one, and for a small tube light like this its a good value. However if you tailstand, wrap in a blanket or do other heat concentrating actions you could still have a problem, but if you hold the light while in use (your the safety mechanism and additional heatsink) and don't keep going back to turbo till you burn your hand you should be fine. Most lights have no thermal isolation between head and battery, li ion can tolerate hand burning temps though it does reduce lifetime and should be avoided when possible. The head of the light is the hottest part and hopefully this light has a good heatsinking path, many do but some are not designed properly and don't
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
135 upvotes
MEC has a brand name protected battery. Costs almost as much as the torch, but probably won't blow up vs. the cheapie no name batteries.

Fairly good quality build and feels light in the hand (or possible for headband attachment). Cool usb recharge feature.

I put the zanflare f1 up head to head against the Nitecore EA45S (testing a Christmas gift). The 1000 lumens rated torch with 4 x AA, has a brighter middle focus on highest setting and the Nitecore slightly brighter overall. Not sure if I had the choice, if I'd buy the f1 again, even at $29.99 USD promo sale price. Frankly as a rfd'r, the better value is still the old Sipik SK68 style zoomable Q5 with one AA, at a fraction of the cost and you're not worried about losing it or damage as it's cheap and the batteries are cheap and easy to find at most stores.
Last edited by T-Bone on Dec 14th, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9248 posts
10829 upvotes
T-Bone wrote: MEC has a brand name protected 16850 battery.
I bought these ones. It says it's protected. Will this make it a lot safer? Only thing I have to deal with is heat generated by the head right?

https://www.amazon.ca/Canwelum-Protecte ... B00IXHEBZM
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24068 posts
9555 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Wizard1 wrote: I bought these ones. It says it's protected. Will this make it a lot safer? Only thing I have to deal with is heat generated by the head right?

https://www.amazon.ca/Canwelum-Protecte ... B00IXHEBZM
Who makes this battery, is it a rebadged ultrafire, or a legitimate company?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9248 posts
10829 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Who makes this battery, is it a rebadged ultrafire, or a legitimate company?
Found their website. Looks like they're based out of Shenzhen China

http://www.canwelum.com/

Amazon reviews for this specific battery seem ok though.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1494 posts
1048 upvotes
Toronto
WARNING to people all of these Chinese flash lights have fake Lumens.

None of them adhere to the official FL1 standard and are hugely over rated in Lumens.

1240 Lumens from a 3.2v battery is hilarious. Real rated output of these are probably closer to 300lm.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9248 posts
10829 upvotes
Krispy1 wrote: WARNING to people all of these Chinese flash lights have fake Lumens.

None of them adhere to the official FL1 standard and are hugely over rated in Lumens.

1240 Lumens from a 3.2v battery is hilarious. Real rated output of these are probably closer to 300lm.
I am aware of fake lumen output claims on chinese flashlights however:

The LED diode they mention is an official product of CREE. And the review video seems to support that it IS super bright? It only does 1240 for max 30 seconds so its not a sustained drain. Or am I missing something? Thanks for sharing your expertise as im a newbie in the flashlight world
Last edited by Wizard1 on Dec 14th, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24068 posts
9555 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Wizard1 wrote: Found their website. Looks like they're based out of Shenzhen China

http://www.canwelum.com/

Amazon reviews for this specific battery seem ok though.
Remember what i said about name brand batteries. Anyone can write an amazon review, even paid shills :(
I once saw a flashlight that claimed 1600 lumens (back before single LED chips of this brightness were available) and the picture clearly showed an XP-E chip, which can not reach 1600 lumens even if it is set on fire. The seller's replies to bad ebay reviews were things like "buyer wanted freebee" :facepalm:

There are legitimate rewraps out there from actual companies in the flashlight world such as Nitecore, Fenix and so on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9248 posts
10829 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Remember what i said about name brand batteries. Anyone can write an amazon review, even paid shills :(
I once saw a flashlight that claimed 1600 lumens (back before single LED chips of this brightness were available) and the picture clearly showed an XP-E chip, which can not reach 1600 lumens even if it is set on fire. The seller's replies to bad ebay reviews were things like "buyer wanted freebee" :facepalm:

There are legitimate rewraps out there from actual companies in the flashlight world such as Nitecore, Fenix and so on.
Definitely true, but I also took into account the number of verified buyer reviews as well. Do you have any suggested ones that are legit? Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1494 posts
1048 upvotes
Toronto
Wizard1 wrote: The LED diode they mention is an official product of CREE. And the review video seems to support that it IS super bright? It only does 1240 for max 30 seconds so its not a sustained drain. Or am I missing something? Thanks.
You are missing a lot. These are simply not 1240lm. Unless standardized these numbers are bullshit. It is not possible for a single 3.2v battery to throw 827 feet at that illumination.

FL1 standards exist for a reason, for example they use throw distance as the standard equivalent to the lumens produced by a full moon on a clear sky.

Unless FL1 standardized please do not post these flashlights you are potentially ripping people off.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24068 posts
9555 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Wizard1 wrote: I am aware of fake lumen output claims on chinese flashlights however:

The LED diode they mention is an official product of CREE. And the review video seems to support that it IS super bright? It only does 1240 for max 30 seconds so its not a sustained drain. Or am I missing something? Thanks for sharing your expertise as im a newbie in the flashlight world
This light is a product made by the ******** "company", there are reviews on it that are quite good so it should be a genuine Cree chip. There are fake Latticebright chips that look like Cree but are low output and often bad tint/CRI.
I forgot to mention in my last reply that you don't have to buy a rewrap, there are sources for legitimate 18650s which are not very expensive, under $10 a battery (used to be well under before the dollar nosedived). Check out the budget light forum i mentioned and ask for battery recommendations
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9248 posts
10829 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: This light is a product made by the ******** "company", there are reviews on it that are quite good so it should be a genuine Cree chip. There are fake Latticebright chips that look like Cree but are low output and often bad tint/CRI.
I forgot to mention in my last reply that you don't have to buy a rewrap, there are sources for legitimate 18650s which are not very expensive, under $10 a battery (used to be well under before the dollar nosedived). Check out the budget light forum i mentioned and ask for battery recommendations
Great, thansk again Quentin5 for sharing. Will head over to Budget light forum. Cheers